Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

2 stroke suggestions for Senior Telemaster kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

2 stroke suggestions for Senior Telemaster kit

Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 PM
housedad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke suggestions for Senior Telemaster kit

I'm waiting for the Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster to arrive and have been wondering about engines. This will be my first large build. I will be using it at times with floats, as I have an 18 acre lake/creek as a back yard.

What do you folks think is a good 2 stroke for it. 4 strokes are out, as I need to keep it cheaper on the build end.

So, what do you think, as .60, a .75, or a .90? I'll be looking at Tower engines, as I've had good luck with them, or SuperTiger.

Thanks for all suggestions and info.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 2 stroke suggestions for Senior Telemaster kit

Mine had an OS 60 in it but I have never flown off of water so? Take A look at the SK line of engines sold through Kangke, I have there 91 and it's A power house, they go up to A 1.30 and the price is right.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Don41

I'm about to maiden my Senior with a Saito .82 four stroke and I expect it to be thoroughly overpowered. I think I'd go for the .60 two stroke unless there's little difference in prices for the engines you list. The extra power can come in handy though,,, unless you're a superb pilot such as myself (;-)
Old 08-25-2007, 11:07 PM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this helps, but my .40 size Telemaster had a Magnum .46 bushing (2s) motor, weighed ~7 1/2 lb with floats and took off in ~250 ft on water. I don't know how much static thrust a OS .60 FX produces, but the OS .91 (4s) will give you ~7 1/2 lb static thrust with a APC 14x6 prop. Perhaps someone else can give you some 2 stroke data. One thing I would look for is a 2 stroke that can easily spin a 12 to 14 inch prop and give you static thrust equal to ~70% of the RTF weight. Note, my electric Sr Tele weighs 10 1/2 lb RTF. My guess is the Tower .75 should be in the ballpark for you. BTW, I'm starting to break in a OS .55 AX (2s) and it swings a 12x7 APC prop. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
flipstart

I just broke in a ST G-90-quite an engine for $115-Tower discount. Same wt and hole mt as the 60 size. You will add 2-3# for floats plus drag in water. Might as go for ST 90 and have plenty of power. Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:31 PM
housedad

Thanks for the replies. I was checking the thrust/weight and The .75 with a seems it might be good with floats. Water has a way of sticking the plane down, and I have not ever found that I had too much power with the float planes I have. So the .90 would seem even better. I just don't want to overpower it. But what the hey, if one guy can put a Evolution 1.00 in it, then the .90 should do alright.

SuperTiger, here I come.

Anyone with any thoughts about if I should reinforce the firewall?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had used 1/2 or 3/4 inch angle stock behind my fire wall and I may have used tooth picks going through the sides of the fuse and fire wall??? Can't remember if I used the picks or not. It's A big plane but it doesn't take A lot to get it off the ground and stay in the air. Only problem was landing, it wanted to float right by me even with the flaps down.
That plane is the most fun when the wind comes up, you can get it to fly backwards.