Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobbico acquires Goldberg and Lanier!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobbico acquires Goldberg and Lanier!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico acquires Goldberg and Lanier!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/news.cfm?news_id=293
Old 08-26-2007, 01:45 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hobbico acquires Goldberg and Lanier!

This news is not surprising considering the acquisition strategy Mr. Anderson has been using since he started his company in 1981. It could be argued the TopFlite acquisition has resulted in a healthier brand with better consumer choice than remaining independent. My only concern is that as Anderson gains control of an increasingly larger share of the industry's established brands what will this do to prices? Newly introduced scale ARF prices are going up faster than inflation. Is Sig next?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just hope the quality of the CGs stays the same or better. Wouldn't it be great if they went all Laser cut!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:02 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

This news is not surprising considering the acquisition strategy Mr. Anderson has been using since he started his company in 1981. It could be argued the TopFlite acquisition has resulted in a healthier brand with better consumer choice than remaining independent. My only concern is that as Anderson gains control of an increasingly larger share of the industry's established brands what will this do to prices? Newly introduced scale ARF prices are going up faster than inflation. Is Sig next?
Prices? have you checked Lanier pricing? Hobbico has demonstrated a superior knack of merchandising and pricing than Lanier has ever had. My bet is that Hobbico will want to actually sell Lanier products and will make that more feasable by bringing pricing down to real world levels. We'll just have to wait and see, but I think it is a vast improvement over the status quo. I just don't see much of Lanier products in use around here, but that's just me. I wouldn't be surprised if Lanier found themselves in the position of "sell or disappear". They are probably lucky to find a buyer is my guess.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I just hope thay improve Lanier quality
Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope with the Goldberg purchase they would reintroduce some of the classic kits,Brodak allready has the Goldberg .049 control line kits that I used to fly when I was a kid I got a Lil Wizard for my sons from Brodak.
you could buy the older kits by individual parts to repackage the kits would be a bonus for builders
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

I just hope thay improve Lanier quality
I have built a Carl Goldberg Ultimate kit and even that it is a fun kit to build, many parts are poor in quality, and I also built, some years ago a Lanier Kit with very low quality parts. In the other hand I have built many Hobbico and Great Planes kits and I have had no problem with them in quality terms. In part I am glad to hear the notice because of people doing business trying to increase the quality of the products, but for the other part as someone has said this is becoming into a great monopoly company and then will be hard to make them to lower their prices. Let me share something funny that I’ve read somewhere at the RC Universe forums:

What would be of us Hobbyists if something happen in Illinois, the earth of the Hobby.

Thanks.
Alfred.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:46 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: bigtim

I hope with the Goldberg purchase they would reintroduce some of the classic kits,Brodak allready has the Goldberg .049 control line kits that I used to fly when I was a kid I got a Lil Wizard for my sons from Brodak.
you could buy the older kits by individual parts to repackage the kits would be a bonus for builders
My bet is they'll just cherry pick the best selling items, and all the rest will fade away.

Gary
Old 09-01-2007, 05:11 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the service will now, be a little better with Hobbico in command.
I spent a month and a half attempting to contact Goldberg without any success and then was told to call Lanier. Two weeks later I finally got through to a temporary receptionist. All I needed was a new canopy for my Tiger 2. The Goldberg site listed it for $6.95. Lanier charged me $12.95 and another $12.95 for shipping. I guess Bubba Spivey doesn't care wheather or not he has any business.... what with the poor quality of Lanier kits and the lack of customer service, I really doubted if they would remain in business much longer.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I take a six-month hiatus... and The Empire gets a bit larger...

Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 PM
TFF

I think when Carl Goldberg was alive he told Tower to shove off. He is probably flipping in his grave now.