Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bob Dively Nuthin' Honey bipe

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bob Dively Nuthin' Honey bipe

Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob Dively Nuthin' Honey bipe

Last year, I picked this kit up off eBAY and set it aside. After assembling several CG Sukhoi 26MX ARF's, YAK 54 and other larger models I decided to put an old Italian Super Tigre 40 back into the air.

Interestingly enough, the BD website indicates that all but 1 or 2 kits in his line are "discontinued" until further notice?!
(http://www.bobdivelymodels.com/2.htm) Fortunately, I have mine, lol...

This little bipe retails(ed) for $149.95. The plans and construction pamphlet are basic and provide no photos, workarounds or advice. It's stated right up front that they assume this not to be one's 1st RC balsa kit.

I immediately discovered my 1st issue with the kit when comparing the rolled plans to the 1st construction step. The directions indicate to allow a 1/4" space for the ply firewall, F-1, when laminating the ply fuselage doublers. Uh-huh. Can't happen. The doubler must mount flush to the front of 1/8" balsa sides in order to align the upper wing cabanes and lower wing saddle. If one is to follow the instructions properly, that 1/4" will have to be trimmed off both ply doublers BEFORE laminating them. I chose not to do so and simply lined 'em up and epoxied them together. Using a triangle, I assured a square glue joint and installed the firewall and reinforcing stock.

After installing F2 and F4, I flipped everything over and adhered the other fuselage side, insuring everthing was again, squared up.

As I progress through construction, I'll post a few photos. However, I will share my impressions on this very 1st Bob Dively kit that I've built.

I'm extremely pleased that I spent NOWHERE near $150. for this kit. If I had, I would be severely disappointed with the investment.
The $46.00 I DID spend is a great value and re-affirms my faith in the ability to get great deals off the Internet.

The kit is complete but sparse in detail. If I were the manufacturer, I'd retail it for $89.95. $150 buys a whole lot more than what greets the eye when opening this carton. But seeing as how the line appears to be defunct, it's a moot point. :-)

So, my 1st 2 hours saw the primary fuselage assembled with the blind nuts installed for the .40 Super Tiger.

Did I mention the bipe has foam cores? No? Well, it does and these will be detailed coming up.

Stay tuned....

PM

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77999.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	751284  
Old 10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
PointMagu

Default RE: Bob Dively Nuthin' Honey bipe

Ok, so I lied...

No construction photos or followup...I sorry, lol.

Essentially, the airframe is completed. To be truthfull, assembly was SWEET. Everything went together EXACTLY as directed, ('cept for that firewall-doubler thing).

I skinned the cores with 1/64 ply using Borden's Ultimate Glue. Hands down, the easiest and most secure sheeting cement I've ever used. I taped 'em up, weighted 'em down in their cradles and 24 hrs later...solid wing panels ready for primary sanding and attaching of the LE and TE stocks. The wing tips were novel in design but worked out superbly.

Perhaps I was abit hasty in my dissing the $149 asking price. Engineering went a long way in this kit. The wheel pants went together quite well and the 3rd panel insert REALLY adds strength to their design. The cowling required 6oz fiberglass reinforcing but that was a snap with 30 min epoxy.

Covered in Ultracote and trimmed with Krylon enamels and Great Planes trim striping. The 4, Futaba s3004 servos all fit with plenty of elbow room but smaller, lighter high torque models would probably be a better choice for weight consideration. Torque tubes drive the ailerons on the bottom wing with the servo sunk into the center section with ply support. I have a Sullivan round 12 oz tank for the upgraded Super tiger .45 with tuned pipe.

Here's what she looks like as of today...

PM

Name:	Ig12755.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	775989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64762.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	775990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80095.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	775991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh12866.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	775992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf49901.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	775993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76417.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	775994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac64145.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	775995  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM
PointMagu

Managed to get the inner cabanes aligned and soldered over the weekend. Had to redo them 3 x's, adjusting a little more each time until alignment appears to have been achieved.

I used Sig copper wire, rosin core solder, liquid flux and a propane torch. Normally, silver solder would have been used but I hadn't any on hand but I calculated that by using intense heat, the flow of solder yielded a secure bonding to the 1/8" music wire.

Once cooled, I slipped shrink tubing over the wires and dressed it all up.

I installed the tuned pipe mounting after routing out the Super Tiger's lugs to match the bolt pattern on the Mac's header pipe.

Unfortunately, I was careless and allowed aluminum dust into the exhaust port and into the carb so a thorough dis-assembly and flushing are required prior to firing it all up.

Servos installed, throttle linkage done and the ailerons are working nicely. Yep, just about ready for the 1st snowfall, LOL...

Stay tuned

PM
Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool bipe. I like the fat little fuse and stubby wings. Too bad it's not available anymore.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cute bipe! It looks a lot like the "Dreamer" by Gee Bee models.

Name:	Wu61844.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	779749  
Old 01-02-2008, 02:03 AM
mcgyver74

Sadly Bob Dively is not really selling kits anymore simply because with todays microwave mentality and the cheap price of ARF's these days there simply wasn't a very high demand for them (He was selling like 3 kits a year)

Even with people who still DO buy and build, it's getting harder and harder to compete with the products coming from China or from one of the major manufactuars, For example, he sells the Nuthin Honey for $150 for the kit, at that price he only makes a few dollars on the kit after factoring in the cost of materials (He won't use crappy materials). People were ARF'ing stuff cheaper then he would pay for the materials just to produce the kit...

This is a shame because the Nuthin Honey is only one of his kits and frankly while it's a MAJOR blast to fly (I may start building one soon myself once my Ultimate decides to "Retire" itself ) it's far from his best kit, His giant Pitts S2 is one amazing plane and he had dozens of other kits that aren't even listed on his website due to lack of demand (How about a Scale Pitts S1?)

However, while he isn't selling kits every day, For those of you who may want a Nuthin Honey, if you call and ask he may still have enough around to produce a few kits, he's a super nice guy

Just my 0.02
Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
PointMagu

Nice comments and oh-so true in todays climate of pilot-hobbyists instead of builder-pilots, lol...

I did attempt to maiden her late in the Fall. The ST 0.45 just wasn't the right engine choice and after trying to horse her off, I ground-looped and had to go back and do a few repairs.

Here she is now, after repairing the dings and ready to try again...this time I have a tried and true MVVS 40 with can-pipe.

Just waiting for the Spring thaw...

PM

Name:	By76439.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	840549  
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
mcgyver74

Ah, sorry to hear about the ground loop, the 40 will be a much better motor so hopefully you will be airborne with a silly grin from ear to ear soon , I have an OS 46FX and an Evolution 56 laying around and I think the 46 will be just right for when I finally obtain one

It's funny, cause the guy who owns BDM personally has a Nuthin honey around that he needs to recover (Actually he designed it and liked it so much he kept the prototype and still wants to find time to fix it and fly it again, he's a true builder and extremely passionate about anything airplane ...).

Still, even though there are more easily obtainable kits out there, I'd hate to see the BDM kits fade into the background because frankly there really isn't much out there outside of the warbird market that are as scale or fly as nice as his kits do.. For example, his Giant Pitts S2 has functional servo tabs on the elevator just like the real pitts did when it first came out,

Of course this is just my opinion and yes I am somewhat biased being as I know the guy, but his kits sure are nice,,,,

Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing how it flew