Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Good scale kit for first time build?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Good scale kit for first time build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:56 PM
jmv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good scale kit for first time build?

Thinking of building my first kit. I know I should probably start with a sport plane, such as a 4* or something similar, but I'd really prefer something scale. Looking for something in the .90 to .120 size, but .60 size would be OK. Don't really care what type of plane (aerobatic, warbird, cub, etc), just looking for a scale model with a reasonable set of instructions. I do know several experienced modellers who will help with any difficult parts of the build, but want to do most of the work on my own. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Good scale kit for first time build?

"Everyone" typically recommends against a scale project for a first build. But, if you take your time and really follow the instructions, just about anything can be a successful first build.

Great Planes, Top Flite, and SIG are all known for having good instructions. You can find GP and TF manuals online to get an idea of what's involved before you buy. SIG manuals are not online.

GP http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/index.html#kits

TF http://www.top-flite.com/manuals/index.html
Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

I would recommend more of a "fun scale" type plane rather than a full blown scale job. For example, the Top Flite Gold Edition kits are great kits and great fliers but I wouldn't suggest it as a first project. The Goldberg Ultimate builds like a sport plane and would be a good choice. A Goldberg Cub is another thought. The GP Decathlon... Something along those lines.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Oh, I just remembered! The GP RV4 looks like it might be a nice kit--one I might be inclined to try myself. However, I cannot speak from experience as I've never even peeked inside the box.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Built one of those....flys great! Can make it look very scale if so desired...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Cub is a scale plane that sometimes isn't much harder to build than a trainer. Take a look at the GP and Goldberg .40 size versions. The Goldberg Cub was the first RC kit that I actually completed and flew.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: jmv

Thinking of building my first kit. I know I should probably start with a sport plane, such as a 4* or something similar, but I'd really prefer something scale. Looking for something in the .90 to .120 size, but .60 size would be OK. Don't really care what type of plane (aerobatic, warbird, cub, etc), just looking for a scale model with a reasonable set of instructions. I do know several experienced modellers who will help with any difficult parts of the build, but want to do most of the work on my own. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Scale is scary word when it is used in conjunction with first time build. Heck scale is a scary word period ... LOL.
Can you give a couple of examples of what you would like to build ??
It is so wide open right now it is hard to make any recommendations.
I am not saying that any of these are a first time build, but here are a few kit suppliers that are still out there.
http://www.theaeroplaneworks.com/home.htm
http://www.balsausa.com/
http://www.funaero.com/
http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/
http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...50&cart=686639
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 PM
mcarleno

A .90-1.20 size scale [link=http://www.redstarrc.com/Lagg-3.html]LaGG-3 kit is now available from Red Star RC.[/link]. This is a laser-cut kit that goes together very well. See my post on the Red Star RC Beta-Build in this forum, I just updated it.

Marc
Old 09-07-2007, 11:17 PM
saramos

You have to judge for yourself what will be too little, too much, or just right for your first build. In general, I would agree that starting with a simpler kit is a good idea. I think a lot of people take on a project that is beyond their ability or turns out to be more effort than they want to put in and end up getting burned out before they finish and go back to ARFs. If you go with something simpler, you can get through the build with a sense of accomplishment and a fun to fly plane. Even if it turns out that it was too easy, after a successful build, you will be far more likely to take on another project than if your first build turned out to be too hard.
Having said that, I started off with a TopFlite Spitfire as my first build. I did start and finish a 4 * before completing the spit, but in the long run, I was able to work through it and end up with a plane I'm happy with.

Scott
Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you go with Goldberg or Great Planes you can't go wrong. Both companies have excellent kits, manuals and instructions.

Sig would be my next vote, but some of their kits have not been updated since the 60's and if you don't know which is which, you could find yourself with a kit that is for much more advanced builders.

Also look into Skyshark kits. I have no experience with them, but I have heard excellent things.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Also look into Skyshark kits. I have no experience with them, but I have heard excellent things.
Unfortunately, those are no longer available from Skyshark.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM
jmv

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses. I'll check out all the suggestions then probably be back with a few more questions once I've narrowed down the search a bit. By the way, I must admit I'm curious about the warbird from Red Star (as I like warbirds that are different than the typical Allied birds from Hanger 9 you see at the field all the time) but I'm having trouble getting the link to come up. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:16 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

If I may suggest the Sig 1/4 scale Cub is a great scale Subject,
The build is very involved but you have plenty of plane to work with for sale details and it can handle a little extra added weight from the details without any issues.
The Sig 1/5 scale makes a fine looking plane and is a more modern design that is more builder friendly. Both kits will produce and excellent looking and more importantly great flying plane.
Anthony
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jmv,
Get the SIG 1/5 scale Cub. All laser cut, big enough for your needs, and an easy build as long as you follow the instructions. Very scale outline and a very nice flyer.

papermache
Old 09-09-2007, 08:05 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

If you a Cub there are some good suggestions here. If you want something more on the aerobatic side I would like to suggest a Goldberg Extra. It is a good kit, something you can fly in fun scale if you would like and it flies great. I have basically worn out my ten year old GB Extra and just purchased another kit for something to work on in the near future.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cub nut suggested the Sig 1/4 scale Cub.

That is one of the kits I was specifically suggesting that you AVOID

The Sig 1/5 scale is a good one and has a lot of nice scale detail.

But as far as Cubs go, I still like the Goldberg Anniversary Cub the best (Note, in any case, ALL cubs should be built as a clipped-wing version)
Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you GOOD at following direcrions?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 AM
chashint

ORIGINAL: mcarleno

A .90-1.20 size scale [link=http://www.redstarrc.com/Lagg-3.html]LaGG-3 kit is now available from Red Star RC.[/link]. This is a laser-cut kit that goes together very well. See my post on the Red Star RC Beta-Build in this forum, I just updated it.

Marc
Thanks for that link, I had never heard of them before.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:01 PM
jmv

I just wanted to thank everyone for their time/advice. A friend of mine from the club had an old Easy Sport 40 kit he was never going to build, so I picked it up from him and decided I'd start with that kit and then move into something sport scale for my second build. The instruction booklet is very detailed and first builder oriented, so I hope this will be a good starting point. Has anyone ever built this kit? Just wondering your opinions and any changes you may have made to the build.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 PM
jmv

Found a good build thread on the Easy Sport 40 by searching the forum, but if anyone has anything they'd like to add, that would be great.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

That plane was 'overbuilt' and built like a brick #hithouse - and flew GREAT. I think you will enjoy the plane!