Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Can I Find .40 Size Warbird Kits????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Can I Find .40 Size Warbird Kits????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 PM
p51 fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where Can I Find .40 Size Warbird Kits????

Hi Guys:

I am trying to find some .40 size warbird kits that I could build over the winter. It will be my first build so I would like to have a complete kit similar to the ones offered from Great Planes or Top Flight. So far the only ones I can find are the Corsair and P-51 kits from G.P. Does anyone know of any other kits?

I am currently flying a P-51 ARF and I would like to build a P-47, Zero, Corsair (with rounded fuse), Me109.

I am trying to stick with .40 size to keep costs down.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Sunny_B

Default RE: Where Can I Find .40 Size Warbird Kits????

I wish you luck in your quest. Kits are getting scarce as a whole, but 40 size warbird kits are like hen's teeth.
Sunny_B
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM
draftman1

ebay is a good place to find out of production kits. house of balsa makes some good 20 size kits. have you thought of scratch building? its not that hard. there are many plans availiable that can be enlarged or shrunk down if they are on CAD very easy or have kinkos do it with there big copiers. Im like you I dont do arfs! building planes is the best part.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop a line to skyshark if enough request are made for a specific model they will do a run.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

www.redstarrc.com

Redstar has a 40 sized yak3. I am currently finishing the kit and am pretty happy with it. Its a complete kit with pretty good instructions. While not a plane I would necessarily recommend as a first build, if you take your time and maybe have some help I think its pretty doable as a first kit.

There is a good thread on it here on RCU. The red star website links to the build.

I know you want 40 sized but the TF 60 sized warbirds are not much more expensive than a 40 sized plane. In fact I payed more for the 40 sized yak 3 kit than I did for my 60 sized TF P47 after the tower discount and free shipping.

If you built one with fixed gear, left out the scale upgrades and went with a 2 stroke you could build it for about the same price as a 40 sized plane.

Also, I picked up on a pica 25 sized zero a while back on ebay. You can find them every now and then... although they are getting pricey now.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

drop a line to skyshark if enough request are made for a specific model they will do a run.
You might want to check their website. Skyshark has dropped their 60 size kits, and I don't remember any 40 size kits. They have moved out of the kit market.

I suggest the AMA Plans Service. There are tons of plans for 40 size planes, warbirds included. Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with [link=http://www.wingmfg.com]Wingmfg[/link] , there are several 40 size short kits in their lineup.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 PM
aerowoof

most of the skyshark kits werew for .46 2 strokes the only .60 size was the avenger and if you send them an e-mail requesting a specific kit they will consider douing a run.I am on the list for a dauntlass
Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

most of the skyshark kits werew for .46 2 strokes the only .60 size was the avenger and if you send them an e-mail requesting a specific kit they will consider douing a run.I am on the list for a dauntlass
Yah, I'm on that list, ever since the article came out. They'll also notify me if they ever make a run of 109G's. I'm not holding my breath. Did anyone ever really put a .46 in one?

After my earlier post, I was looking at a bunch of listings in my Favorites, and there are a few Rich Uravich offerings at Hobby Hangar, www.hobbyhangar.com. One's a .25 size P47. Might be suitable for a bushing .40.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

On Ebay look for Mark's Models, (which later became Jemco, then Dynaflite or vice versa). Look for the Fun scale stuff. The Jemco Fun scale Mustang is a rocket with a 40 on it. The other Jemco/Marks/Dynaflite kits to look for are the Hellcat, Focke Wolf, Texan, and Corsair . Also, Midwest made a really sweet fun scale 40 size Me109.

Those kits are all highly prized by those that know them and prices can get over 150 for most of them. The cheapest is the all wood, and easy to build, Jemco Fun Scale Mustang 40size. (about 80 bucks) They also make a 60 size.

There are also Jemco fun scale Spitfires and Cobras. The Spits are a little hot and the Cobras are OK, but not as good as the MUstang.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
p51 fan

Thanks for your input guys. I am very surprised that there are not more kits of this size available, everyone has .40 size engines and the are an inexpesive way to train for larger warbirds.

Anyway, I am not considering a scratch build at this point. I would like to build up my skills on a couple kits before I tackle something like that.

Gringo Flyer: the redstarr yak looks nice, something you don't see everyday at the field. I have book marked the site for consideration.

Aerowolf, Scar: it's to bad that Skyshark no longer makes these kits, they look incredable. I had never heard of them before. Do you think we could convince them do produce some kits again, it looks like there is an interest in them. has anyone had any luck getting them to produce kits in limited runs?

Jim: I have seen the wings mfg. website before and was very interested in there line-up but I see they use foam core construction. does anyone have any experiance with there kits? Are the a good first build?

PilotFighter: I have found some Jemco kits on Ebay but they only ship to the U.S. Nothing available to Canada.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
jmv

It is sad about SkyShark. And like Red Star, they produced something different than the very common Mustangs, P-47's etc. Why Hanger 9 doesn't make a .90 size Axis ARF like a Zero or a ME-109 is beyond me. If for no other reason than it would be cool to have some mock dogfights with their Allied fighter series. But I guess they know what they are doing, and that they know what sells. Which probably explains why SkyShark sells ARFs and electric motors and speed controllers now, and not kits. Oh well...

By the way, if you see a plan you like you could probably get a kit cutter to cut a short kit for you. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure one of the more experienced builders will chime in if you want more info. Of course, you'd have to be comfortable building from plans without detailed instructions. Any way, good luck! Post some pics when you get building.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Don41

I have a couple of vintage TopFlite warbirds from the mid 80s that are for 40 to 60 size two strokes. One is a P39 Aracobra and the other is a P51 Mustang. TopFlite called them Redbox kits (but they are yellow boxes). Both are 60 inch wings. Unlike some folks I don't see them as particularly valuable since they use older tech.

Over the years my taste in planes has changed so I have been considering just scavanging them for wood, etc however if interested in them send me an email.

As others here have said it's too bad that there aren't more of them offered in this size.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I just maidened a Midwest Zero last night, got five flights in. Flew pretty good. They call it a sport scale. I have heard it is the same wing as the ME-109, fuse similar also. They show up on ebay every once in awhile.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 PM
mcarleno

P51_fan,

Gringo Flyer recommendation on the [link=http://www.redstarrc.com/Yak-3.html]Red Star RC Yak-3[/link] is a good one. Though he hasn't flown his yet, I can tell you from experience it fly's great with a hot .46 or .52.

Though mine in currently in the repair shop (caught a re-bar post on a wing tip on landing .... very long story, but it has to do with a re-layout of our landing strip .... arrrg).

Mine always draws attention at the field.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58084.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	765890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69146.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	765891  
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 PM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

I have a Sig Mustang kit in the rafters of the garage.