Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Somethin Extra Engine Mount question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Somethin Extra Engine Mount question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:53 AM
Krener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Somethin Extra Engine Mount question

Hi all.

I'm close to finishing my SSE and planned from the start to mount the engine offset by 90 degrees with a Pitts muffler.
The problem I have is how far forward can I mount the engine on the SSE without it causing any problems?

Are there any balance issues by doing this?
I have to mount it forward so the pressure nipple on the Pitts has enough room for some hose to go into the firewall, and I stupidly have already drilled mounting holes in the engine mounts (would this cause a problem with vibration?) but I'm not to sure how far forward to go?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22568.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	764439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95667.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	764440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42749.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	764441  
Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
alan e mey

Default RE: SIG Somethin Extra Engine Mount question

looks like a first class install all you need to be concerned with is balance make sure the cg is right on, I flew one for two years and loved it, good luck with yours. Alan 3d flyr
Old 09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

As far as mounting the engine is concerned, I'd mount it back as far as I could towards the firewall with still having room for your fuel lines to build for a proper CG. What size is your engine? Do you plan to add any material to your rudder or elevator or sheet the turtle deck? Not to mention adding material to the rudder - 1" to 2" - can help greatly with 3D as well as a longer elevator. This can help add weight to the tail and off-set the weight of a heavy engine/muffler combo to get you to where you want to be for the CG. It's best to adjust functional weight vs add dead weight. All else fails, you can move your Rx battery pack back. I've read of folks with heavier engines moving the pack to the area under the turtle deck to get their CG correct without adding dead weight.

The default CG is good but I've noted a lot of folks move it further back after a while to make the plane more aerobatically friendly. The stock CG is good but for myself, I liked having the CG back roughly 1/2" which made the plane more agile. Search of the forums will shed light on this as well.

somegeek
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Krener

Ok, I'll attach the wings etc and check CG.
Turtle deck is sheeted and I haven't done any mods to the tail feathers (maybe on the next kit), but the tail wheel is a Sullivan jobby.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers
Sean
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I am just getting ready to fly the SSE I built 2 years ago. If you want to mount your motor out at the end of the mounting rails, based on where mine ballances you will be fine. You can adjust with the battery pack mounted just above the landing gear. I had to place my battery under the fuel tank and the cg is at the aft end of the range.

JEB