Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

trimming monocote with paint

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

trimming monocote with paint

Old 03-23-2003, 05:04 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trimming monocote with paint

heres something I wondering..I am covering a plane in monocote.and using a starburst scheme..can I use regular enamal or acrylic spray paint use buy in a spray can..I am wondering if it stick permanently and is it going to be ok if fuel exhausted gets on it..
Old 03-23-2003, 09:41 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: trimming monocote with paint

Cloudy:
Originally posted by cloudancer03
..can I use regular enamal or acrylic spray paint use buy in a spray can..I am wondering if it stick permanently and is it going to be ok if fuel exhausted gets on it..
Krylon I have used. After allowing it to cure fully (a week at least) I've not had any problem with 15% fuel. Higher nitro percentages might affect it, I don't know.

Your problem will be getting it to stick to the film covering. Clean the film thoroughly with acetone or MEK, after scuffing it with steel wool or very fine sandpaper. Be sure the entire area is scuffed, the paint will start chipping off where you missed.

Then as I said, use acetone or MEK to clean it. Mask it, and spray.

I've had best results pulling the tape when the paint has just barely set, but it's a fine point Either too soon or too late is a problem. Too soon it pulls the paint beside the tape, it hasn't stuck yet. Too late the tape tends to slide out from the paint leaving a ragged edge.

Try it, practice, learn, enjoy.

Bill.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:54 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default trimming monocote with paint

I have used Krylon and it stuck great to Ultracote, but after about a year, it got gummy and had to be removed, repainted, and polyurethaned for fuel proofing.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:24 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Default Paint on Monocote

Just another thought to consider when painting.

Don't cut corners on the tape you use. Don't rely on cheap tape from the hardware store. Sometime the solvents in spray can paint will make the cheap stuff turn loose or come up. Try to find some good tape from an automotive paint store. It doesn't have to be a 3-M product but they are best. 3-M makes a green fine line or a blue tape (Plastic not paper) that will give you a sharper crisp line. When spraying your first coat, it should be mist
coat to seal the edge of the tape to prevent bleed under or feathers. When removing the tape pull it back over itself at a 180 degrees and not up at 90 degrees. You will notice this lets the tape create a cutting action making for a more crisp line. It also may help prevent the tape from pulling a chunk of paint if the adhesion of paint to monocote is a problem.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2003, 12:30 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Default painting plastic film

thanks guys..I did use spray on paint years back on coverite but as a fabric no sweat..so it sounds like if I go to home depot and get some krylon or its equivlaent and use a quality masking tape and scuff the area to be covered well and clean it I should be able to paint my black stripes and I will use a lite mist coating and just layer it carefully..what the heck will do it on the rudder first and see what I get for results..man aint this hobby fun???and the weather is sunny and clear ahh smell the fuel exhaust and hear that engine screaming saying let me go tear up the sky..I love being a clouddancer!!