Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig 1/4 scale cub Engine thrust Q's

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig 1/4 scale cub Engine thrust Q's

Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default sig 1/4 scale cub Engine thrust Q's

In the instruction manual there is no mention of adding right thrust and the plans show none either
Im assuming i should add 2deg right thrust but would like to know for sure if i should or not??????
Pat
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sig 1/4 scale cub Engine thrust Q's

My Sig clipped wing cub has built in thrust in the fire wall . Check that out before you add anything.

Jacque......Waco Brotherhood #27
Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As mentioned, most of them have it built in. If yours does not 2 degrees of right thrust is a good thing to install. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The plans do show 1.5deg down thrust built in. There is no built in right thrust and as mentioned there is none showing on the plans or in the book.
I have added 2deg right thrust. I just could not imagine trying to take it off with out it.
Thanks
Pat
Old 10-27-2007, 09:01 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget all these experts with their "I could have..." "I can't imagine........" "It looks like......" and similar opinions. These armchair experts are speculating only, never having operated that plane. Everyone has an opinion about how it must be to avoid total failure, especially those who have never actually done it.

I built, according to plan and flew a Sig 1/4 size clipped wing Cub for many hundreds of successful flights over a more than 20 year period on both wheels and floats. I flew it in both Canada and the USA. I flew it on numerous lakes and rivers and at numerous fields and airports, including off field ops on a couple of cross country runs. I flew it on calm days and others when the wind just about tore the windsock off its pole.

Build the plane as the instructions show. Use an engine more or less in the suggested size range. Whatever thrust is built in as per the plans is all that you need. Period.

Mine flew behind an inverted, fully cowled OS 1.08 and Slimline inverted muffler, swinging a Zinger wood 15-8 prop without any engine problems.

End of story on thrust angles for that plane.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I built mine per the plans on the engine thrust and it fly's great!!!
Anthony
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 AM
fivepeasinapod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also built this plane according to the plans and it takes off and land just fine. I am running a OS FT 160 twin in mine and I love it.
This plane has such a long tail on it, which makes it easy to correct any thrust from the prop on take off.
I would not change anything from the drawings, remember SIG did not just through the thing together, they have spent hours testing and engineering their planes before putting them on the market. Just because someone else’s plane needs two degrees to the right doesn’t mean this one does.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just starting my Sig 1/4 Cub and am building 3 degrees of right thrust into the firewall.  All my planes have 3 degrees, including my Sig 1/5 Scale Cub, and they fly great.  I am going with a Zenoah 26 CC Gasser for power.  Good luck with yours.

FYI:  The 1/5th Cub also lacked right thrust in the plans and the manual.  Wonder if the forces of torque fail to exist at Sig?

SunDevilPilot
Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many of us build our Sig models per plans, and use the rudder to counteract the P-factor.