Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger II - Tail Dragger Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger II - Tail Dragger Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:58 AM
kingstjw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Tiger II - Tail Dragger Conversion

Hello,

I have built a few kits and the Goldberg Tiger II will be my third model. After having built and flown a tail dragger, I'm hooked! The Goldberg web site for the Tiger II indicates that there is a tail dragger conversion kit available for the model. However, this is almost half the cost of the kit. I'm looking for any kind of advice that anyone can share with me to help me understand the changes that need to take place in order to convert my Tiger II kit to a tail dragger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger II - Tail Dragger Conversion

I converted mine to a tail dragger. I used a Sullivan tail wheel assembly and a formed aluminum main gear. I reinforced the area where they mount with plywood and installed blind nuts. This would require you to remove some covering at the tail. The mains have to mount forward of the CG. I can measure the distance on mine if you need that information.

The cost for the formed main gear, tail wheel assembly, hardware, tailwheel and axles is around $25.

BTW, the Tiger 2 works very nicely as a taildragger. I think it is easier to handle on a grass field as a tail dragger than as a tricycle. Just use up elevator while you are taxiing. I prefer taildraggers.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger II - Tail Dragger Conversion

Use a Sullivan tailwheel assy. For your mains, buy either an aluminum or fiberglass (carbon fiber) set of main gear. Don't for get to get the axles

Inside the fuselage, just forward of the leading edge, cut a 1/4" piece of REGULAR ply to fit. Epoxy this inside the fuselage and add some 3/8" tri-stock where the ply meets the fuselage sides.

When everything has dried, position you LG in place and mark where you will need to drill the holes to mount. I suggest 4 8-32 socket bolts.

Depending on the amount of room you have/need inside the fuselage, install blind nuts OR use elastic nuts. For blind nuts the order
should be 8-32 bolt, washer, landing gear (be sure to use locktite ). For elastic nuts the order should be 8-32 bolt, washer, landing
gear, washer and elastic nut.

After the LG is bolted in place install the axles, wheels and collors.

MAKE SURE TO REBALANCE THE PLANE.