Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

2nd Plane Comparison - Opinions?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

2nd Plane Comparison - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
jmv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Plane Comparison - Opinions?

I've decided that my next build will be either the Super Sportster 60, Tiger 60, or Ultrasport 60. It will be my 2nd build (I have almost completed an Easy Sport 40). I was thinking of building a sport scale plane (such as the GG Chipmunk), but have decide to build another sport plane first to gain a little more experience. I didn't find the Easy Sport build very difficult, and I do know an experienced builder who is there to help me over any rough spots. I currently fly a GP .40 size Extra ARF.

I am planning on building the plane without retracts and in a tail dragger configuration as I fly from a fairly rough grass field. I would also like to build pretty straight to plan as this is only my 2nd build and I don't really want to get into alot of mods.

I am looking for opinions on each as far as serving as a 2nd build where I can enhance my building skills/experience, and for something that will be a good sport flyer. I have seen lots of threads and discussions on these planes, but most of them seem to have lots of mods, etc, so I'm finding it a bit hard to compare the planes on their un-modded (is that a word?) form. Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:27 AM
hrrcflyer

Default RE: 2nd Plane Comparison - Opinions?

jmv,

Three excellent choices, but if I had to choose. I'd build the Ultrasport 60. IMHO, it is one of the best, if not the best, sport plane out there period. You will be able to do almost any aerobatic manuever there is (some better than others though). My second choice would be the Super Sportster 60.

Keep us posted with your decision and good luck with your plane!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM
jmv

David,

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards either the SS or the US, as they seem to be more of an all around sport plane and less of a second plane, low wing trainer type. I'm no hot shot pilot, that's for sure, but I have progressed from a high wing trainer to a low wing trainer to the Extra so I'm used to a plane that has a pretty neutral feel about the controls and a good roll rate.

John
Old 10-20-2007, 12:25 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Easy Sport .40 has fairly similar flying characteristics to the Goldberg Tiger, even though it is a shoulder wing rather than low wing design. The Super Sportster or Ultra Sport are both going to be a step up in terms of performance. Either would be a great choice, but it's hard to imagine having the chance to build an Ultra Sport .60 and not taking advantage of it!

Good luck, and good shopping.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

US 60 gets my vote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:31 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go with the Super Sportster. A little bit easier to buld than the US and a fantastic flyer. The US will be a perfect third plane, you can learn about the fun of retracts!