Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Four Star 60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Four Star 60

Old 03-01-2002, 04:56 AM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Four Star 60

Going to build the Four Star 60. Any suggestions for engines.
Have an OS 61FX that I might use. Perhaps Saito 91???
Old 03-01-2002, 02:53 PM
PieGuy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default SIG Four Star 60

I also am starting a 60. Are there any mods that are recomended? I have a asp 61 that I'm going to put on it. This is my first kit and will be my #2 plane.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:32 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SIG Four Star 60

Guys, if this is your first low wing plane leave it stock - it flies extremely well as designed. If you'd like snappier performance, leave off one rib bay on each wing panel and increase rudder area by about one third.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:40 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Default SIG Four Star 60

I had a 4 Star 60 with a OS 61FX which provided ample power. It would not quite hover with a 12x7 APC. I built mine stock but if you browse around, you will find a host of modifications. The most popular of which seem to be removing the dehideral and removing a bay from each wing half as mentioned by LuvBipes. I agree that if this is your first low wing plane, build it stock.

PieGuy, you will like this plane better than your trainer, lands really nice but a lot more precise and fun to fly.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:27 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default SIG Four Star 60

I have one built stock with an OS .61FX and it flies great. I am thinking about changing the engine out for a .91 Four-Stroke though. Either way it is a great combination.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:40 PM
punkey71
My Feedback: (3)

Default mods

Hi Guys,

The Four Star 60 was also my first kit/second plane. I built it stock but quickly did some mods. I clipped the wing by one bay (snappier as stated earlier) and also sheeted the leading edge to first spar. The open rib on the leading edge got lots of twigs poked through it from my grass field. I'm in the process of enlarging the rudder as well. I used a OS 91 four stroke and it's plenty powerful (especially if it's your second plane). You will surely love it.

I also used a canopy from a Venture 60 (lower profile and just looks nicer IMHO) and wheel pants from a Venture 60 as well. It really changes the appereance (for the better).

Enjoy!
Harold
Old 03-01-2002, 10:27 PM
Larry D.
My Feedback: (2)

Default SIG Four Star 60

Add 2 inches to the rudder. Leave the wing alone, keep it stock. I built mine last summer, fly it with a 91 Thunder Tiger. Also cut the cheeks off the fuse and cowled it in with balsa. The cowl really changes the looks of it. Our club has 9 or 10 flying with with every mod you could think of, even a bipe for a short time. A 91 YS makes it a rocket ship. Changing the wing doesn't really seem to make that much difference that I can see, I like mine with the full wing because how slow it can ef flown. A friend had Fiberglass Specialties make him a glass cowl, but I have not seen it yet
Old 02-22-2003, 11:08 PM
tweet_ip

Default Phrrrt

I built mine stock and then put a O.S. 91FX on it. Nothing like watching everyone stare in amazement when I pull out of a tail slide and accelerate vertically !!! It does need more rudder, though.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:45 AM
ggale
My Feedback: (6)

Default SIG Four Star 60

Built mine stock except for leaving the airleons/elevator less tapered, and adding nose weight. Flies like a dream with the tt .91 4st.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Heath

Default SIG Four Star 60

Hi,

I'm in the process of building one right now. The mods I'm making are as follows:

1) clipped one bay off the wings, but then added balsa block rounded off to each wingtip. (the wingspan didn't change, I just liked the rounded off look better. Purely a cosmetic change, but it does shave a fraction off the wing area and increase weight a tad.)
2) Sheeted the LE of the wings. There's no structural reason that you have to do this, I just like the look of a smooth sheeted leading edge.
3) bought a fiberglass cowl from Fiberglass specialties. Another cosmetic thing, but this cowl is awesome looking. I'll attach a pic.
4) Sheeting the turtle deck. Again, just cosmetic, I wanted the surfaces smooth.
5) extending and counterbalancing the elevator and rudder for better aerobatic performance.
6) adding Great Planes large size wheel pants.

I'm putting a TT 91fs in mine. I've been told that your 61fx is a great engine for this plane, too. In fact, someone made the comment on one post that his plane flew much better and hotter when he took off a 91 four stroke and installed a 61fx. So, I'd go with that engine if I already had it. It was a toss up for me, I almost bought a 61fx, but had never had a four stroke and wanted to hear that cool sound everyone talks about!

Good luck,
Heath
Old 02-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Heath

Default SIG Four Star 60

Here's a pic of the cowl from Fiberglass specialties.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57943_24479.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	3489