Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Extra .60 Wing Warp

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Extra .60 Wing Warp

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 12:03 AM
rayb
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra .60 Wing Warp

I just finished construction of first part of left wing and when I removed wing panel I see a large? (1/8") warp down in panel at leading edge. The center of panel at leading edge is higher than root and wing tip. I guess it's because I wet leading edge sheeting prior to installation. Spars are not warped nor is trailing edge. Should I attempt to fix warp now or wait until wing is assembled and attempt to fix when top of wing is sheeted?
I've never had such a large warp to contend with and I wonder how best to fix.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ray
Old 03-30-2003, 01:51 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I think it would be best to try to fix it now. If you wait, the rest of what you do to the wing will only help maintain the warp. Find a way to set the wing so it is STRAIGHT in 3 dimensions. Clamp it down or weight it down just make sure it stays that way. Then wet it down with either STRAIGHT AMMONIA or AMMONIA/WATER mix...DON'T SOAK IT just DAMPEN it
Old 03-30-2003, 02:01 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, sounds to me like what you have is a "Bow" and not a "Warp". That is, the wing dips down in the center, then back up again. But it also sounds like you haven't sheeted the bottom of the wing yet. If that is the case, don't worry. Lay the wing sheeted side down, and weight it or pin it to the table and sheet the other side. The bottom sheeting should cancel out what the top is doing.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:02 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I agree with Mike that you could continue the build and straighten it out.......the only problem I see is that the wing will have STRESS built in
Old 03-30-2003, 04:45 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

I just finished this kit, and from what I'm seeing, I might not understand this right, but your main wing spars on the top and bottom could be bowed. This will cause random defects in the construction. I believe the manual even has a procedure for building with bowed spars.