Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Is anyone interested in a GP Supersportster build?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Is anyone interested in a GP Supersportster build?

Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is anyone interested in a GP Supersportster build?

I have a Supersportster 40 kit on the way, and was wondering if anyone is interested in a build thread.

I have built a few kits in the past (Goldberg Eagle 2, Sig Kavalier, Sig Kougar) along with a few C/L planes from Goldberg that I used silk and dope on. I have also scratch built (from plans) the RCM Airmeister Bipe.

So far my flying experience includes a couple of trainers, and the Kavalier which I am flying now. The Kougar is sitting at home safe until I can get something to get used to low wing landings, it is just way too fast for now.

The reason I came up with the Sportster is that it came up in a few conversations, and on GP's website, it is listed in the novice level as a good first low wing.

So, is anyone interested? Any suggestions are welcome, My goals are a good light, sturdy, accurate airplane that flies well. Since the winter build season is upon us, and I am in no hurry.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is anyone interested in a GP Supersportster build?

I would be interested in seeing the build, yes. Although Great Planes claims that it's a good first low-wing, let me warn you that it is fast and lands hot. There have also been reports of tip stalls involving this aircraft. I've seen one in service, and I will confirm the airspeed requirements. I would build the kit, but then be sure to get an experienced pilot to help you set it up and trim it. When you maiden it, don't forget to take it 3 mistakes high, to determine how it reacts to slow flight. Again, have an experienced pilot do this, because a certain level of expertise is needed when a wing drops and a plane goes into a spin (down elevator and up throttle in a split second).

You may consider adding another kit to your collection: A Rapture 40 or Sig Four-Star. I have the Rapture, which I purchased instead of the Super Sportster, after doing some research on the Sportster's characteristics. I also have a Slow Poke, which I enjoy quite a bit. Good luck.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I have one too. Great build, typical of Great planes!

But it is a little complex, as there is quite a bit of forming & shaping.

And, as for flying, this thing is a rocket! Especially with my old MDS 48 up front. Add the expo! Our head instructor gave mine its maiden, and even he said it was fast, and twitchy (no expo)..

I must admit, it has sat around for a while since it’s maiden flight. And has only recently been brought to the field. But has not yet fully flown by me, as the days have not been calm enough for it.. Or, I seem to lack a certain courage to get it up..

As mentioned, the 4 star is a great intermediate choice. I love mine! 4 star 60. So much so, that I’m only my 2nd!!

Start your thread!!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 PM
nickj

Build threads are always welcome, especially when they have lots of pictures. I've built all the Super Sportsters at one time or another. I've always been a big fan, and I'd bet most people who've flown one are fans as well.

I agree in part with the previous poster, but I think by far the biggest cause of problems with the Super Sportsters is the tendency to overpower them. My 40-sized SS flew beautifully on a bushed .40. I think a BB .46 is as much power as the plane will ever need. It's got a big, thick wing, and will have a stable, slow stall speed as long as you keep the plane down to a reasonable weight. I have seen a SS snap and spin into the ground, and the plane will never be as forgiving as CG Tiger or Sig 4*, but it shouldn't be a handful if built as designed.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
jrcaster

Great, I see at least a little interest in a new build. I have 2 ASP .46 engines that I bought back in 1992 to 1994, and one of them should feel right at home sitting in the nose of this plane. Radio, Futaba 7UAF, and a bunch of S148 servo's.

I read through RCKen's thread on a LT 40 build, and plan on adopting at least some of his methods. I think that thread should be re-named to how to do a pattern build on a trainer. Seriously though, he did a lot of good work on that bird, hope to see him in here from time to time.

One of the guys at the field were I fly has the supersportster ARF. He started with the 40LA on it, My Kavalier outran it. He now has the .40AX on it and speedwise, it is a little faster than the Kavalier.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't build the one I had, it was built by an older pilot that had to quit flying. It was fabric covered and painted like the box showed. In other words it was very heavy. I put the LA .46 in mine and it flew just fine but due to weight I installed the MDS {Many Dead Sticks} .58 up front. The extra power helped A lot on this plane but like I said, very heavy. As to landing fast, it's faster then A trainer but about the same as the Kavalier. I never noticed any tip stalling though.
If you can fly the Kavalier you can handle this one too, it's A very honest little plane.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Hmmm! Dont understand this. Mine was a rocket alright (SS60 with an ST75). But also lands as slow as a trainer. Most of the others I've seen would land pretty slow too. Thats one of the things I tell my students that move on up, the Super Sportster series have a pretty wide flight envelope. That thick wing makes a pretty good floater and the kits make a good and rugged airframe. Just my opinion.
Edwin
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
jrcaster

Graybeard, that comparison to the Kavalier is good to know. My landings with the trainer are a little bouncy, but the kavalier just slides right in.

As far as the tip stalling, I have seen it on the SS40 ARF.

It is on it's way, it is due to be on my front door on Monday. I wanted to try something other than Monokote for this one, Didn't have enough color variations for the Sig Aerokote, ended up getting TowerKote. I don't expect this to grab the framework the way I want it to so I ordered some Balsarite. I know the weight savings I am getting with the low temp covering are more than lost with the Balsarite, but I don't want to re-seal everything after every day of flying. I have to do that with my Tower Trainer. Not fun.

I used Balsarite on my Kougar under Monokote back in 1993, it still looks just as good as when I covered it. My scratch-built bipe I didn't use it (still not complete), and the covering has bubbles everywhere. I beleive I just sold myself on Balsarite.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
carrellh

I love build threads.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 PM
chashint

I have the 60 size that was the second kit that I built. It is a good flyer and it is easy to land. I personally do not like the landing gear yo be mounted in the wing unlass it is a scale plane. I put the landing gear on the fuswlage in front of the wing. I also put dual aileron servos in mine, it probably does not need em but what the heck its only money. Here is what it looks like http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...memberId=24522
Old 11-13-2007, 08:52 PM
jrcaster

OK, the moment everyone has been waiting for. Eye candy. I found this big cardboard box on my front porch yesterday. I proceded to rip right into it, and put all my new toys away. I ordered Econocote, not Towercote. Now I remember, Tower didn't have enough color variety. Also Tower doesn't show any of the working temperatures, so their loss.

Back on subject. I inventoried the contents of the SS 40 kit. I had to download the list from GP. Everything is their, except the list shows 2 1/4-20 blind nuts, not included. I put fresh batteries in my camera, and started snapping pics. I dropped the resolution, I am on dial-up. According to the advertisement on the cover, "A classic sport design, now with state of the art technology!". Not. Still using Die-cut parts. I thought they just started production re-run of this kit just a few months ago. They put the GP R/C airplanes and accessories catalog in. I started thumbing through it and came across an ad for Real Flight Sim.........G2. Catalog dated 2004.

Anyway, on with the pictures.

the 4th pic is of the die cut ply, the 6th is of the balsa. Other pictures show just how much wood is in the box. I couldn't get all the wood to fit back in the box afterword.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79797.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	803433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12969.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	803434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17612.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	803435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52692.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	803436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26151.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	803437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97586.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	803438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq23618.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	803439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr61224.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	803440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp14493.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	803441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq77048.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	803442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq73344.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	803443  
Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 PM
jrcaster

So should we ask one of the moderators to re-name this thread or just fly with it. I hate the idea of starting another thread.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Gray Beard

First they get rid of all the kits in inventory. { I think?} Yep, that's A big box of wood but it gets smaller as you go along.
What would you call this thread then??
And for Edwin, I think mine would have landed at about trainer speed too if it didn't weigh so much.
JR, next build give the ULTRACOTE A try, I think you would be very happy. If you wanted the fabric type then the TEX type of coverings are great and don't weigh A lot more then the plastic coverings. I use the solartex from Balsa USA. Both of these will make you look like A pro.
I just soloed my youngest student today {12} only his second time on A buddy box too, hows that, two days of training. I must be one heck of an instructor. No simulator either. I'm thinking of maybe this kit for his first build too, can't just teach them to fly. It will be up to him but I'm putting this one up at the top of the list.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:21 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. You'll have fun with this plane. I have the ARF version and I love it. With the .46-AX it definitely gets out of its own way. I'm in the middle of building the .60 size right now and I have a .75-AX for it. I even have the plans and materials to scratch build a .90-1.20 size. I'm going to follow along and see how the MK-II kit goes together since I know my ARF, like most ARF's, won't last forever.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Alex7403

Looks good, this is how I decide what to build next.
Its encouraging my build.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 AM
jrcaster

Chuck, I peeked in on your build thread and yes you have an old style kit. Big giveaway is the dihedral block ( aileron stock ) instead of the dihedral brace, and the newer kits have a formed leading edge. I will post another picture of the leading edge/trailing edge block soon.

Gray Beard, I was thinking of GP supersportser 40 MKII build thread. Not very inventive, but to the point. That way if anyone searches, it is sure to pop up.

Also, I have tried the CG Ultracote. I really like it but Tower doesn't carry it. Any LHS that falls in line with Hobbico Inc. carries what Tower does. Maybe since Hobbico/Great Planes bought out Carl Goldberg, they might start carrying Ultracote.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM
jrcaster

Planned modifications. I guess this can open up a can of worms. From what I can see, this seems to be a really nice kit so modifications will be kept to a minimum.

1. I have read many horror stories about having the tailwheel tied to the rudder and the rudder coming off. I am not sure about if this is what everyone is talking about, but I plan on using a tailwheel bracket bolted on the rear of the fuselage, and adding a small piece of ply to screw into. Also with this mod, I plan on tieing into the bottom of the rudder. I fly on a grass field so that tailwheel might be a problem. That way I can set up two tail brackets, one with a tailwheel, and one as a wire skid.

2. Since we are on the subject of landing gear, I will end up with two sets of main gear. 2-1/2" and 2-3/4" That way I can use the wheel pants and smaller wheels for display, or paved runways, and use the larger wheels for grass.

3. I don't trust Faslinks period. I will be using Z-bends where possible.

4. I don't trust the swivel clevises they supplied for the ailerons. I like the adjustable horn brackets and standard clevises instead.

That is all I can think of so far. I guess I will have to kee track of all mods and repost at the end of this build.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM
jrbmoto

One mod I can't recomend enough is to mount the main gear on the fuselage instead of the wing especially if you fly off grass. The verticle blocks almost always wear out and get sloppy over time. Heres my SS .40 before and after I changed over, I think it looks better now!

Name:	Nl29159.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	803972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81205.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	803973  
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM
jrcaster

Right now I am going to put the main gear in the wing. I can always change it later.

OK, Like I was saying earlier, the leading and trailing edges are like this.

Name:	Pn35498.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	804039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12748.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	804040  
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 PM
jrcaster

I went to Lowes last night and was looking for something for a building board. 12 pack of ceiling tiles, $44.00. 5 pack of ceiling tiles $25.00. 1/4" Luan plywood $9.95 a sheet. 1/2" Drywall $5.65 a sheet. I didn't have my box knife with me so I will have to go back tomorrow and get a sheet of drywall. With a box knife and a tape measure I can cut the drywall in the parking lot and get it to fit in the back of my car. And Lowes won't split a pack of ceiling tiles.

Chuck, I noticed in the first few pics on your build thread that you are using the wing jig. I have one that I got with a bunch of other stuff years ago but have never used. Can you tell me anything about using it? Is it beter than building over the plans? The kit that I have has the holes in the ribs for the jig.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 PM
sean444

jrcaster
My first build was an older supersportster MK 1 kit. I read many posts about moving the main gear foward to the fuse. I did this and also mounted the tail wheel bracket to the fuse like you are going to do. Its a great plane to fly and good lookin too boot. Have fun and keep up with the pics.

Name:	Fd91184.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	804072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36101.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	804073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79477.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	804074  
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Gray Beard

The Building Board: I went and bought A piece of 3/4" X 12"X 8' pine and one 6" wide and glued and clamped them together. Then went to A wood shop and had them run it through the big over head sander to smooth it out. Screwed three 1"X1" X16" onto the bottom to keep it from warping and it has been with me for over 10 years. Been cut on, sawed on and drilled on for over 10 years now. About every five years or so I fill in all the holes with wood filler then sand it all down to remove the old glue and epoxy. I'm betting it out lives me by A lot of years.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

A super sportster in a cub scheme. I like it.
Edwin
Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrcaster

Chuck, I noticed in the first few pics on your build thread that you are using the wing jig. I have one that I got with a bunch of other stuff years ago but have never used. Can you tell me anything about using it? Is it beter than building over the plans? The kit that I have has the holes in the ribs for the jig.
After building many wings over the plans, this was my first one with a jig. I liked it a lot. It was much easier than trying to keep the TE propped up and level. It's not necessary for every wing though I don't think. Just make sure you use the provided center support if you have the GP jig. I cut mine in half so I could support the rods separately. The jig keeps the wing flat but it is still easy to build it out of square. Make sure you use a triangle or something to make sure the ribs are 90 degrees to the spars, LE and TE.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Here's mine..

Pretty much stock all the way, older version too..

(If you squint really hard it kinda sorta looks like a Mig 3! )

4 Star 60 in behind

Name:	Sq48052.jpg
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	804783  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.