Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

vert. stab alignment

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

vert. stab alignment

Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Jim Haskins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vert. stab alignment

I have acquired an airplane that has been partially built . It is a fiberglass fuse version of what I believe to be a Phoenix V. I have put consderable time in the kit at this point only to notice the verticl stab is about 3 degrees or so off from the horizontal stab and maybe a little more on the wing saddle. as the vertical stab is part of the molded fuse I cannot view a reasonable fix. any suggestions other than the trash can?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: vert. stab alignment

You have a couple of choices (including the trash can ).

1. If the vertical stab is aligned properly with the fuselage (canopy and C/L on fuselage ), modify the wing saddle to be 90 degrees with the vertical stab, You will also need to mod the opening for the horizontal stab so that it is 90 degrees also.

2. If the vertical stab IS NOT aligned with the fuselage, you can cut the vertical stab and refasten it at the correct angle. If you do this, be sure to add re-enforcement to the inside of the stab and where it meets/joins the fuselage. Fill any gaps with Bondo or a mixture of epoxy and chopped fiberglass.

If it were my plane, I would mod the vertical stab. Depending on the stage of your building, there is probably a lot less work involved.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

If the vertical stab is part of the fus and can't be altered, then the only option I can think of is to alter the horizontal stab and the wing saddler to make everythin lin up as it should []
Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Jim Haskins

The wing saddles are molded into the fuse and do not appear to be easily modified other than shimming and that does not seem the thihg to do. The horz. stab is already installed and faired in including the elivator control. the vert. stab cnsists of two halves of the fuse joined together, and tis appears to have been done by the manufaturer. Rebuilding the horiz. seams the easiest but I am not sure it is worth it. Maybe I should lrt it rest another 25 years.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Jim Haskins

maybe I should proof my typing. Sorry about that.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

If your are not flying competition with it just go fly it the way it is. If it is just leaning over a couple of degrees it will fly fine but the rudder will have a slight elevator effect. Better then the trash can.

Edit - there is an edit button for typos.