Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

midwest super stearman weight

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

midwest super stearman weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
rotccapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default midwest super stearman weight

hi all i am almost to the covering stage on my midwest super stearman. i would like to use world-tex to cover it in and use nelsons hobby paint to make my trim scheme. my problem is with most of the electronics and engine added i am at an all up weight of 11.5 pounds. worst case i am hopping with covering and paint to come up to be 12.5 to 13 lbs. which would give me a wing loading of around 22-23 oz/in do you think this is a reasonable weight for this plane? if it matters for power i am using a zenoah g26 spinning a 17X8 prop. also most of my flying will be in average 10 mph winds. i also fly off of pavement. also if any one has experience with this plane what do you think my flying characteristics will be with this combo?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 PM
bret

Default RE: midwest super stearman weight

[img][/img]hi ,i have a midwest s stearman with a g-20 definitly alot of power,hovers at half throtle,full throtle,a bit of a hand full,i fly about half throtle most of the time and its a bit faster than scale.do you have some pics[img][/img]
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
biplano

I have been flying mine for about 8 years now with a Saito 91 on a 14x6 APC. She weights 12.9 pounds and the Saito pulls her scale like, may be too scale like. A Saito 100 or Laser 120 could be good engines in my oppinion. The Zenoah you are thinking of will be too much unless you have "3 D" aerobatics planed for the SS.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2008, 12:26 PM
miltonboy
My Feedback: (16)

I am seriously thinking about this being my next build. I love building now that I've done it a little. ARFs just don't have the pull for me right now. Anyway, I'm curious to know how the guy with the Zenoah 20 did with balance. Did you need any weight up front??? Thats the engine I was considering. If you still needed weight, I was thinking the Fuji 24. It weighs a pound more, but only has 1/2 hp more power. What do you guys think?
I think with the tail heavy tendency of this plane, one of these small gassers may be just the ticket.