Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
deadpedal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

Finally got my winter project done! She's got quite a few mods (no pull-pull though). She'll maiden this weekend hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90786.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	1175028  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good luck with your maiden!
That is one sharp looking airplane.
I can see you have made many mods to the plane, what was the all up finished weight?
What did you use for power that looks like a fair sized four stroke?

I have got to get back to work on mine, I have just finished up doing maintenance on several planes getting them ready for the season.
That and I have been working on a vectored thrust test bed for a design I am working on, so the SE has been sitting waiting for me to finish it up.
The other night I started on a second try for the wingtips as the first did not measure up to what I had hoped for.
Perhaps I am a bit picky but I rather do it over rather than have to tolerate something I really did not like. I have put to much effort into the build to compromise it now.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
deadpedal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Iron! The maiden went great. Always nice to bring a plane home unscathed. I need to get a scale... no idea what she's weighing. I got a great deal on a new Saito FA-62a so I had hoped it would be enough engine. She's certainly no speed demon with it. I'm using a 14x4 prop at the moment and she'll hang on it but no pullout. I'll probably drop to a 13x6 to get better airspeed. The taller gear is wonderful for not having issues with prop hits and the extended rudder makes for a nice knife edge. Overall I'm really happy with the plane, but a 72 or 82 would have been nice in the power department. Perhaps I can sneak another engine past my wife at some point

Looking forward to further reports on your build. I just check here from time to time to see if you've done anything hehe. I know yours is going to be amazing when it's completed.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Wildcard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was wondering how all went with your build and perhaps the maiden flight. My SSE is still in the shop being built and probably won’t get flown until next year unfortunately. Hopefully you are not in the same situation.

Brett
Old 10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This project got set aside for some time for a few reasons. Not the least of is trying to get to perfectly matched wingtips has proven to be more difficult than I had anticipated, so rather than settle for something I did not like I set it aside for a bit til I could come up with something that worked and I liked. The fuselage is all set and ready for paint the wings are built and need only to have the wingtips put on so I can apply the veil and paint. If I had the wingtips done it would take about a week to paint her up and hook up the linkages to prepare it for maiden.
Right now I am finishing up a rebuild of another plane.
I need to get back to Something Extra, as you can tell I have been in no rush to get it in the air, as I have a few others I have been flying.
I got to get it done it just seems that other things keep getting in the way.
Right now I am just trying to keep up with the leaves that have been falling for the past three weeks, I never seen so many trees bare this time of year before...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:16 PM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey iron eagle,

I'm about to embark on "wood formed wing tips" for my Bridi Killer Chaos. The approach kinda goes like this: Cut a template of proposed view "top down". Cut a template of proposed end view. Mark a piece of light to medium weight balsa using the templates. Rough cut the block based on templates (I'm using a small band saw). Tack the block on the tip rib with a couple of drops of thin CA. Rough shape with knife / sand paper / plane. Final shape with sand paper. Remove tip from root rib (break the tacks). Lighten tips by using a Dremel drum sanding tool to hollow out the inside of the blocks. Reattach to wing tips.

Good luck and show us your work (that's so's we can criticize the heck outa ya ). As usual - jus' kiddin'!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:05 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to see that you're back on the project, Iron Eagel.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SeamusG
Due to the taper I want the tips to have, I have thrown in another part that makes it all that much harder to do them. I have found that even hollowed out with a dremel, I would like them to be much lighter then they have come out. All I need a a good 3 axis CNC machine to shape them, or perhaps a laser cutter might work. I may have to get one the way I want it and use it as a plug so I can make a mold and lay them up using composites, right now I am still trying to decide how to proceed.

Bob,
I want to get it finished so I can start in earnest on my vectored thrust design, at least to build a model to test the planeform...
Did you have the time to print out those templates for me?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:10 PM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iron Eagle - Heck, just finish with flat tips, fly her while you're fabbing the composite tips, remove the flat tip covering, install-n-cover the new tips. And go flying again. Hey - the best of all worlds. Oh, just don't whack the ground before ya get the new tips finished.

Just messin'. Do you have any pics of a mock up? Just curious as to what the proposed end state of the tip will look like. Because I'm so new to the hobby alternative wings tips are very "foreign" to me and I'd like to see your creative alternative.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Paul,

I lost track of those templates, sorry. Can you send me those files again? I lost track of them.

If I remember correctly, I rewored the files and sent you back a copy either as a .dwg or a .dxf format.

Bob
Old 10-10-2009, 06:34 AM
yel914

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iron eagle-just out of curiousity, what is the shape of the wingtips you have in mind?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:32 AM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Iron Eagle - Heck, just finish with flat tips, fly her while you're fabbing the composite tips, remove the flat tip covering, install-n-cover the new tips. And go flying again. Hey - the best of all worlds. Oh, just don't whack the ground before ya get the new tips finished.

Just messin'. Do you have any pics of a mock up? Just curious as to what the proposed end state of the tip will look like. Because I'm so new to the hobby alternative wings tips are very ''foreign'' to me and I'd like to see your creative alternative.

ORIGINAL: yel914

Iron eagle-just out of curiousity, what is the shape of the wingtips you have in mind?
The problem with just using the flat wingtips is the ailerons now extend 3/4 of an inch beyond the end of the wing. The ailerons and flaps were shifted outboard to allow for the width of the wing root fairing, I am afraid they would not last long like that without the wingtip added.

The wingtips I would like to use add roughly 2 1/4 inches to the span, they are teardrop shaped (when viewed from the top) and taper from the root thickness down to around half an inch when viewed from the front. The issue I am having is to apply the taper to the teardrop shaped portion and have it symmetrical (like the airfoil itself) as well. I will post an updated sketch in a bit.

Name:	Sq46071.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1291908  
Old 10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

The problem with just using the flat wingtips is the ailerons now extend 3/4 of an inch beyond the end of the wing. The ailerons and flaps were shifted outboard to allow for the width of the wing root fairing, I am afraid they would not last long like that without the wingtip added.
Well - just don't drag the tips on the ground

Looking forward to seeing your sketches. Em - now that sounds kinda wonky ...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:50 AM
yel914

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now I don't know if this will help, but I'll throw it out there. This method will get you close to the shape you need. I used this method on a pair of head rests for a Waco biplane this year. First, take 2 blocks of balsa, larger than the pieces you need to finish at, and glue them together with a piece of newspaper between them. Use white or yellow woodworking glue. After they dry for a day, chuck them in a lathe-yes you need access to a lathe- and turn them to the profile you need. Plane and sand the to and bottom to fit the wing rib shape, sort of thinning out the round shape you made with the lathe. Carefully split the cylinder along the newspaper line. You should now have 2 parts that are identical in shape. Hog out the interior to lighten them up. Hope this helps.

Name:	Pn35406.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1292335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88048.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1292336  
Old 10-11-2009, 09:12 AM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very nice 914.  Thx for sharing the idea.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yel914,
Thanks!
That is an excellent idea!
And I have a wood lathe but I would never have thought of using it on the wingtips. Bonding the two wingtips together to form a blank to form a blank never occurred to me.
I have been trying to cut the airfoil portion first and then try to cut the teardrop out of the ends by supporting them squarely above the pattern for the teardrop and trying to cut that shape out after.
This way I can cut the airfoil and taper into the blanks then just turn the teardrop portion after. As long as I leave enough tail stock and turn them slow I should have no problem with that.
As you may have guessed the teardrop was the portion that was giving me fits.

Now for a real dumb question...
How do you split it along the newspaper line?
Every time I glue something up trying to split the glue line is virtually impossible, does the newspaper aid this?
If it does perhaps by using several layers of wood I would have segments that I could actually cut the interior portions out after the wingtips have been shaped, allowing me to remove as much as wood as possible from the interior. Where the wingtips are couple of inches deep hollowing out the interior has been a real chore by itself, if it is possible to expand upon the number of sections the blanks are made of this would make even that much easier.

Thanks again for the advice!
By the way those headrest look nice...
I bet the Waco does as well...

Old 10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
yel914

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iron, Yes, the newspaper does act as a weak bond line between the balsa pieces. Once the shape is right, just start scoring the newspaper line with a razor blade, a bit at a time. when it releases, just carve out the interior with carving gauges-it took about 5 minutes for both of my headrests. A pic of the headrests and one of the Wacos. And now-back to SSE stuff!

Name:	Rp43871.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1292840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75540.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1292841  
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh my gosh! I have to improve my building - a bunch! GR8 job.

Gotta ask - does your 914 have a 4 or 6? And, of course, it's yellow.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks so much for the advice!

Nice looking airplane, Waco's are such as nice scale project, one of the true classics of aviation.
I do so love the lines of the older airplanes from the golden age of aviation.
Somewhere I have a photo of a photo of a Waco, that used to be based in KTAN (King Field) with the pilot/owner sitting in it.
The plane had the King aviation logo painted on the side, sitting on the first page of the log book for the plane.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM
yel914

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seamus, Thanks for the compliment. The 914 is yellow and unfortunately has a 4 cyl. in it. I have a 2.0 4 cyl to install next summer. Even underpowered, it's still like legalized go-cart racing
Iron-You just can't beat a Waco! Well, maybe with a SSE you could beat a Waco!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yel914
Well, maybe with a SSE you could beat a Waco!
Any SSE is not even in the same league as that Waco!
They were a beautiful airplane, that one is a piece of art.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:54 PM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iron Eagle - Ive only been building for a little over a year. I think I'm at around 9 planes.  It's becoming apparent that by in large SIG's kits are easy builds for sport flying. When I look at the Waco (and many many other scale models) I feel like a kid nervously pacing - trying to build up the nerve to ask that cute girl for a date. Going from paint-by-the-numbers to painting the Sistine Chapel ...
Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You should really try a scale kit there are many out there. One good one depending on your budget or size limitations is the 1/4 Scale cub, or the 1/6 scale one, they are more "stick built" than not, and will give you some good experience at a harder build. There are a lot of good scale kits out there besides these but having built both in the past (I still have a kit of each today).
Some of the "paint by number" kits, will give you nice results, and are pretty good to start with...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
maynardrupp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My new Supthin' Extra is almost ready fo radio gear. My mods include a stiffner under the skin between the first two ribs. This is for crush resistance when handling the plane. I cut new shear webs and put them on the front side of the spars. That is much easier than trying to fit them between, and much stronger. I put shear webs between the ribs at the front edge of the trailing edge sheeting; again to make it sturdier. The wingtips make it look like a flight streak. Thy are made from 1/8" stock and radius out from the leading edge and are about 2" wide at the trailing edge. A couple of supporting ribs go above and below. I hate the unfinished look of that tip rib. My last SE had carved and hollowed tips. The fuselage has a side mounted OS 55AX, SIG Kadet landing gear with 31/4" tires. The tailwheel is a sullivan. Our grass field can be lumpy and wet. We need good wheels and landing gear. I have another SIG Kadet
landing gear mount below the aft end of the servo tray at the forward edge of F4. This is to mount the rear legs of the 32" foam floats. We use 2 more SIG Kadet gear legs for mounting the floats. Swapping from land to sea takes 2 minutes. Just power off the 3 screws that hold the wheel gear and screw the forward float gear in its place. Next install 3 screws in the rear leg. Presto, you have an awesome float plane. This little airplane flys just as good and is just as maneuverable on floats as on land gear. My covering is a very complicated and curvy Ultra Cote pattern. I will send photos as soon as it is done.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like a real nice plane, good luck with it!
I know what you mean about adding the "crush resistance", near the root.
I love the float setup sounds cool.
How do you like it with the .55 to pull it around?
I know what you mean about the stock wingtips, they just spoil the looks of the plane in my opinion...
I have the blanks made up for my new wingtips and am waiting on a new motor for my lathe so I can turn them as Yel914 suggested.
I found out I had the motor issue when I went to fire it up, the motor always seemed to run hot, so I am not surprised that it came back form being on loan and had a problem.
Right now I am building a little electric to play with and test some structural mods to see if the help resolve a flutter issue.
The weather here is signaling that building season is starting, so hopefully in the near future My SE will be ready to go.
Everything except the wings is finished and ready for the final coats of paint, and I am dying to see how the final weight comes out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.