Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

Uh oh, Iron Eagle is on the SSE warpath again. Please share (again). I promise to do an SSE Redux thread after SIG supplies my LHS.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:29 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Uh oh, Iron Eagle is on the SSE warpath again. Please share (again). I promise to do an SSE Redux thread after SIG supplies my LHS.
Yea, it been gathering dist for far too long I have to get it finished.
I want to see how some of the mods work out in the air.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
maynardrupp

My new SE is done, engine broken in, (OS55AX), and ready to maiden if we ever get another nice day in Detroit. I am including the photos. This is the second one like this. My friend has built several with these tips and the covering design. He calls it a "Flight Streak". I just can't stand that stock wing ending. If you look closely at the belly photo you will see the 3 mounting holes for the Sig Kadet rear landing gear. This and a duplicate front one is used to mount the 32" foam floats. With the SE, no water rudder is needed. You just use extra high rate rudder and a blast of power.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03 PM
maynardrupp

ORIGINAL: maynardrupp

My new SE is done, engine broken in, (OS55AX), and ready to maiden if we ever get another nice day in Detroit. I am including the photos. This is the second one like this. My friend has built several with these tips and the covering design. He calls it a ''Flight Streak''. I just can't stand that stock wing ending. If you look closely at the belly photo you will see the 3 mounting holes for the Sig Kadet rear landing gear. This and a duplicate front one is used to mount the 32'' foam floats. With the SE, no water rudder is needed. You just use extra high rate rudder and a blast of power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pn37171.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	1325820   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay74810.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1325821   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg17582.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	1325822   Click image for larger version

Name:	xc79665.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	1325823  
Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
SeamusG

Very nice, simple, effective graphic design. I definitely see the bird in flight.

What are you using for the horns?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:27 PM
iron eagel

Very Nice!
The wings look so much better when they are "finished".
I like the float setup I bet it is a lot of fun.
Another nice day, well I hope you get one but it looks as if winter is on it way, good luck with the maiden.
I ought to consider putting floats on mine, the last couple of times I was at the field we had standing water on the runway.
Have you noticed any changes in performance adding the wingtips?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 PM
maynardrupp

I am no expert, but my last SE had carved round tips and the performance was not affected. My friend has hundreds of flights on his SE with these tips and the performance is awesome. The amasing thing about these airplanes is that they perform the same with those huge floats hanging down. Loops, rolls, snap rolls, and whatever it will do on land gear, it will also do on floats. I have also flown mine in 20 knot winds that were sending others home. This is a great plane and a real tribute to the late Scott Christiansen. I love the idea of just throwing it all assembled in the car. It is truly a fuel and go airplane.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM
SeamusG

I call it my "giggles-n-grins" plane.

Hey Maynard - what are those control horns?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
maynardrupp

I call it my ''giggles-n-grins'' plane.

Hey Maynard - what are those control horns?
Those are DuBro single post horns. I like them alot better and the height of the linkage is easily adjusted. I also have DuBro ball ends,(Heim joints for aircraft and race car folks), on the servo end. The control surface ends are DuBro quick links. The control rods are all 1/8" carbon fibre tubes with 2-56 wire ends CAd in. The advantage of those rods is that they don't change length with temperature changes. Up here we fly on 90 degree and 5 degree days. With plastic control rods, the trim changes quite a bit. This type of system is smooth, slop free, and it stays put. This is sorta a junior version of what they use on serious pattern planes.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
SeamusG

Thx Maynard - I'm in the process of building an older-school pattern Bridi Killer Chaos. I've collected the 1/8" CF rods for the elevator & rudder. I'm just shopping for the rest of the hardware.

Next kit will be my 3rd SSE!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
maynardrupp

Thx Maynard - I'm in the process of building an older-school pattern Bridi Killer Chaos. I've collected the 1/8'' CF rods for the elevator & rudder. I'm just shopping for the rest of the hardware.

Next kit will be my 3rd SSE!
This one is my third also. I love these things. Economiclly it is crazy though. This kit costs more than an ARF Escapade. I bought a Phoenix .6o-.90 size Extra 330 ARF for $125.00 from Tower and paid no shipping or sales tax. How can the LHS compete. Why do we keep building kits. The Extra covering job is better than I can do, but the structure is light and flimzy. It flies fine but the soft aluminum gear keeps bending. I like the SE much better. I built 2 Ultra Sport 60s this year. Both met a bad fate for 2 different mechanical reasons. Those things are built like a tank and fly like they were on rails. I loved them. They performed much better with the OS .75AX than the Extra does.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
SeamusG

Doers do - that's all there is to it. We have this really bad habit of making mental notes as to how we are going to do it better the next time! It's a priority that we will make time for.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM
GhostRider32

Maynard,

It's hard to tell on your plane but these are the horns you're using, correct? I've been yhinking about getting some of these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMF9&P=0
Old 12-03-2009, 07:43 PM
iron eagel

The plane is a great design, very well laid out and a lot of fun to bash, I was just concerned that my wingtips and larger span may adversely effect the performance.
I like to build them because I know pretty much what they will take.
Also as far as factory built planes, I have found I can typically build lighter than they come out of the factory.
I can't do plastic covering that well, but I can paint.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 PM
maynardrupp

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

Maynard,

It's hard to tell on your plane but these are the horns you're using, correct? I've been yhinking about getting some of these.

Yup, those are the ones. I shorten the connecting arm so I can mount the unit closer to the hinge line. That hole that the control rod end goes into needs to be on the hinge line. If you use those horns you will also want to use DuBro's plastic "quick connect" ends on your control rod. If you also want a ball joint on the servo arm, you will need to make up the control rods so you can have threads on both ends. I took special care to make sure that my tubes in the tail boom were dead straight so I have little friction. The 1/8" carbon tubes are the stiffest stuff I have ever sen. I just put those through the tubes to hold them straight while gluing them in. I also used an elongated hole in bulkhead #4 and didn't glue the tubes there. That allows lateral movement as the servo arm tracks an arc as it moves. I would to aft mount those servos, but this airplane always comes out tail heavy. I have the 6 volt battery all the way forward against the back of the firewall and under the tank floor. I am using a chromed brass spinner nut and I still had to add 3/4oz. of lead on the engine mount. If I used the stock muffler instead of that MAC muffler I would not hsve needed the extra lead.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 PM
iron eagel

I used pull/pull on all surfaces except for the flaps, they are getting push rods. I think I will order up a pair of those horns to use on the flaps, I want to make sure the linkage for them is solid.
I used a True Turn 2.5 inch spinner to make up for the lightweight muffler, still I won't know about the COG for sure until the wings are done, but it is pretty close right now.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 PM
GhostRider32

ORIGINAL: maynardrupp

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

Maynard,

Yup, those are the ones. I shorten the connecting arm so I can mount the unit closer to the hinge line. That hole that the control rod end goes into needs to be on the hinge line. If you use those horns you will also want to use DuBro's plastic ''quick connect'' ends on your control rod. If you also want a ball joint on the servo arm, you will need to make up the control rods so you can have threads on both ends. I took special care to make sure that my tubes in the tail boom were dead straight so I have little friction. The 1/8'' carbon tubes are the stiffest stuff I have ever sen. I just put those through the tubes to hold them straight while gluing them in. I also used an elongated hole in bulkhead #4 and didn't glue the tubes there. That allows lateral movement as the servo arm tracks an arc as it moves. I would to aft mount those servos, but this airplane always comes out tail heavy. I have the 6 volt battery all the way forward against the back of the firewall and under the tank floor. I am using a chromed brass spinner nut and I still had to add 3/4oz. of lead on the engine mount. If I used the stock muffler instead of that MAC muffler I would not hsve needed the extra lead.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
maynardrupp

The maiden flight went well. I had my friend that has built 3 "Flight Streaks" do the maiden and I stood by for big trim changes. I must have done my rigging homework as all it needed was 2 clicks of down elevator. Everything else was fine. I flew it next but not too long as I wanted to take it home and check everything out. My other problem was my cold thumbs. The temperature was 18 degrees but not much wind. Brrr. You know it is cold when you have to squirt lighter fluid into the intake to get the engine to start. That little 55 starts and runs great and has gobs of extra power for this plane.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:58 PM
iron eagel

Glad to hear all went well!
18 degrees, I can understand why you didn't spend more time flying, way to cold for me to consider it was bad enough at 33 degrees being outside today (with a bit of a breeze).
It looks like winter has arrived to me.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 PM
SeamusG

As a form of a complement, here's a partial set of control fixtures for my next SSE ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ro41795.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	1328858   Click image for larger version

Name:	sn42270.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	1328859   Click image for larger version

Name:	yd82182.jpg
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	1328860   Click image for larger version

Name:	sm28315.jpg
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	1328861  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
maynardrupp

I used plastic outer tubes also, but my control rods are 1/8" hard carbon fibre. These are available from several places. Here is one...
http://www.darrolcady.com/Carbon_Fiber/carbon_fiber.htm I glue the rod ends in with thin CA. I tried JB weld and it did not hold. My Phoenix Extra 330 came with solid carbon rods and brass ends. They instruct you to use thin CA to attach the carbon rods to the brass ends. I picked some brains and found that no one had ever had a problem with their method. My landing gear is from SIG and is for a Kadet. The tailwheel assy. is a Sullivan. Ya sure don't use much of the stuff that comes with the kit. I really don't know if all those changes are necessary. I do know that our field is a bit rough, so the longer gear, good tailwheel, and those 3.25" tires are a big help. All the good linkage makes for precise control and the trim stays the same.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
SeamusG

Maynard - thanks for the link. Did you use an outer sleeve on your rod ends?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 PM
maynardrupp

Maynard - thanks for the link. Did you use an outer sleeve on your rod ends?
The outer sleeves that I used here are from an old Ultra Sport 60 kit. Just make sure there is as little friction as possible between your carbon rods and the outer jacket. If you put your carbon rod in while locating the outer tubes in the fuselage, it will stay nice and straight. The carbon rod is very stiff. You will also want to elongate the holes in former F-4. That is the one at the rear of the radio area. Don't glue the outer shell to this bulkhead. Enlarging those holes allows the tubes to travel horizontally as the servo arm moves through its arc without binding.
I just flew it again today. I did have to stop when the snow got heavy enough to reduce visibility. Oh well it was a bit warmer than last time. The weather here is going to be blizzard condition for the next 5 days, so I won't be flying. That control setup makes for a very smooth flying SE. On Jan. 3 I will head to Miami for 31/2 months. I belong to a club there also. I need to decide whether to take the new SE or my Phoenix Extra 330. Because I live on our boat down there, my room is limited. Tough life eh?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
maynardrupp

Oops, I read your question wrong...I thought you were asking about the sleeves in the fuselage. I do use a piece of aluminum tubing CAd over the end of the carbon rod. This isn't necessary unless you screw the threads in a little. Don't go very far with threading the end in as you will split the carbon tube. The aluminum collar keeps it from splitting. I don't use the tube at the servo end of the elevator or rudder. If you do, your carbon tubes are trapped and won't come out. Although you shouldn't need to remove them, I still don't like trapping them in. Just cut the 2/56 rods with about 4" of bare end beyond the threads, rough it up with sandpaper, clean with alcahol, put a bead of thin CA on and shove them in until the threads touch the carbon tube. The links for the aileron servos need shorter rods so I glue the aluminum tubes on both ends and thread the rods in, but only 1 or 2 turns.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
SeamusG

Really stinks to be you, huh.

I should have been a bit more specific. On the aileron control rods it "appears" that there is a short sleeve over the end of the CF rod where the threaded 2-56 has been inserted. The Darrol Cady site shows the use of 5/32" alum being used over the glued ends of the CF rod to ensure that nothing "cracks" outward loosening up the threaded 2-56.

Ok, sail or power?

hehehe - you're response beat me to it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.