Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/4 Cub Build--Here we Go!

Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 AM
horseshoejack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig 1/4 Cub Build--Here we Go!

I just opened the box and lo and behold it was full of sticks; lots of sticks.! I'm psyched (or psy-co if you ask the boss) for the build, and figure on getting rolling about 12-1. Any input, output, advice, and or commiseration is not only allowed, but highly encouraged.
This seems like a good bunch, maybe we can have a little fun with this.
Jack
Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sig 1/4 Cub Build--Here we Go!

i'm contemplating the same build....not because i want a Cub so bad as i just like building older kit designs. the Sig cub i once had was built by my Dad as i had no time for building back in the mid 80's. i remember looking at the kit with Dad and admired all the materials furnished by Sig to fab a plane that would come out to the speck'd wieght. i easily gave Dad $500.00 bucks for the build....LOL........but as a long time Free Flighter (competition), i have this itch to build this plane, only this time, i now have some time to do it.

you should have a lot of fun building this kit.....Sig kits always turn out great.

oh yeah, maybe find a room in the house and lock yourself in it for a month to get started

have fun
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am finishing up a Sig 1/4 Clip Wing Cub. I your project the full wing? I built mine with a 3 piece wing and I am very happy with the kit, I have built all but the 1/4 full wing Cubs in Sig's line over the years. Have you decided on the motor yet? I plan on using the OS 1.2 4s.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good luck. The SIG is a great kit.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 AM
WacoNut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jack you will really enjoy this plane.
I have a build thread on here that may help you along the way, I built the Clipped Wing version and powered it with a Magnum 120. The plane looks great and fly's even better. Here is a link to my build thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Sig_1/4scale_C/W_Cub_build/m_2708451/tm.htm]Cubnut's Cub build[/link]
Later!!
Anthony
Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
horseshoejack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah Jeb, I'm going full wing and hope to get this upon pontoons. I'm a fairly new builder and those were electric. From research both in books and at the field, first thing I need to do is decide on an engine. I think I'm going to go with either a Saito or Magnum 125/4s ,leaning towards the Saito. After I decide on a motor and best mounting position (Help here please) I start figuring firewall, cowling, dummy motor, etc, right??
Old 11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
bps

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am placing mine inverted. Fits completely inside the cowl.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

some years back, I built a sig 1/4 scale Cub. Powered it with a OS 160 Twin. What a great combination! It flew scale at 1/2 throttle and sounded great. I traded it for a 1/4 scale Stearman, wish I still had it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 PM
horseshoejack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was kicking around the idea of a twin until I priced 'em. I haven't been at this long enough to drop that kind of coin yet. But who knows what might jump up. I'll bet that Stearman is something tho.
Question: After I settle on an engine, is there any thing that would keep me from fabricating the firewall, mounts etc,.from the specs alone or should you have the engine so you can wiggle it around and check stuff while you go?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 AM
KI8FR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have 2 sig cubs One is a clip wing and a full wing that I mad in to a taler cub. Just for fun. I have gassers in mine. but they are grate plans to build and fun to fly. You will love it. I will be waching this post.

Paul
Old 11-21-2007, 07:47 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what no pictures yet?
anything glued together yet?
i bought the 2 OS 1.60 twins, and just sold one to a member here on RCU after realizing i didn't need 2 of them............they are built extremely well, and reports from users that take care of them claim they just don't wear out.
this engine must have been made for the 1/4 scale Sig Cub.....................
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A fellow I used to fly with had the SIG 1/4 scale with an OS 160 twin. Real nice combo. If I was building the 1/4 like you are, I would seriously consider a G26 gasser from RCIgnitions, aka Ralph Cunningham. My buddy Larry used to fly a BUSA 1/3 Cub with an OS 320 four cylinder - sounded great. He sold it about 12 years ago. We are now each building one - mine has a DA50 on it - his has a D&B 3.7. We intend to fly the snot out of the planes and want gas power - since we both started giant scale years ago, gas has been the way to go. Once you make the switch, you can't find any good reason for glow.

Dan
Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 PM
bps

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only bad thing about using the Zenoah G26 in the Sig Cub is there is not much left of the cowl after cutting out for the motor.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would check out the fit - my friend down the road just finished a BUSA 1/4 Cub with my OS 120 I lent him. From what I recall, he had lots of room, and the G26 from Ralph isn't that much bigger.

Dan
Old 11-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The balsa USA Cub is a little over an inch wider then the Sig. I have a G38 in my Sig cub and only had to cut the bottom out and the side for the carb.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
horseshoejack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I'm back. Many thanks for all the engine advice.Build was on hold due to family duties -shipped my daughter off to Iraq (Army medic) Merry Xmas , huh.
Anyhow ,I'm going to get started here soon on the Cub and need some advice. 1st, What's the best place to start building. (Go ahead, be a wise-a_ _. Laughs I need too-my wife gave me a few suggestions already!). 2nd: what can I use for a building surface that'll stay flat. Pine board? I thought about a solid core door but that might be a little extreme. Is some kind of jig or magnets a good idea? I really don't want to twist this puppy. 3rd. I'd like to get my stuff from one source. My LHS is great but I live out in the bushes so on-line shopping- UPS is more better. Any ideas on who might be my best bet? These questions may seem awfully simple;but for a newer builder I can get more ideas and information from you guys and without feeling like a boob. Thanks, Jack
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 AM
KI8FR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got a solid door from a frind 20yr a go. still strate. I put a cieling panel on the door. That is what I put my pins in. That is what I use for a bord.

Paul
Old 12-05-2007, 06:32 AM
bps

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jack,
I know this thread is about a cub, but I must say a HUGE thanks to your family and especialy your daughter. I can not imagine how difficult it must be to send "daddy's little girl" into harms way. I have a daughter in college. We as a free people owe our freedom to our armed forces and to those brave Heros that serve. Thanks from the bottom of my heart just seems like it is not enough.
God bless and protect our service men and women.
JEB
Old 12-05-2007, 07:00 AM
kbear

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I completely agree with bps.

I know you said one place for supplies, but I have always been very happy with [link=http://www.servocity.com]Servo City[/link] for my flight packs. Most of the other stuff I get from Tower if I need enough to spend $100 or more. If I don't have enough need to get free shipping I usually hit the LHS. My build table is made of two 24" hollow core doors. They are fairly new, and haven't warped yet. MDF makes a nice table as well. With either, you need a surface like cieling tile or drywall to pin to. It has been my experience when buying pine from Lowes or the like that it is too wet and will warp quit a bit in just a few days.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
horseshoejack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the good thoughts, from me and the bride ,both.
I guarantee that Jessie will get a kick out of the idea that "a bunch of old farts out playin' with their toys" have her back.
Now, bidness---

#1 I guess I posted this same question twice. My mistake.

#2 Door and ceiling tile seem the way to go. Great heads-up on the pine boards still being wet--would have never thunk about that.

#3 Another question to you all.
I've never built a model of this size/weight before and am curious as to what glues to use where. Carpenters, epoxy, CA/accelerator etc.
I've got some ideas and as I dont know and cant find a "rule of thumb" I once again ask for input.
Thanks
Jack
Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
bps

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jack,
Here is my thoughts on glue. I used to use a lot of CA but I just can not take the smell any longer. I only use CA now with a fan and ventilation and only when I can not use another glue to get the best results. I have constructed my cub with Titghtbond Origonal glue and some epoxy in very high stress areas such as firewall attatchment. It does take just a little bit longer since the white glue needs time to set and cure, but for me that just prolongs the enjoyment I get from building. My dad got me started in about '60.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77627.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	819263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82093.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	819264  
Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 PM
bps

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are some photos of my Sig Clip Wing Cub just about ready for cover. I converted mine to a 3 piece wing for ease of transportation. Was a lot of work just trying to decide how to do a 3 piece wing but I think the results are woth it. God luck with your build.

JEB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87356.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	820448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25266.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	820449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66882.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	820450  
Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 AM
horseshoejack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Jeb- I like that 3 piece wing idea. Do you have a front on or top down pic so I can get another view of the construction?

Been having a bit of a prob with warping - its been anywhere from 25 at nite to 60 in the afternoon. Been covering with an old sheet ; seems to help some but what I'm wondering is how many times would you figure I can steam iron this wood flat (doing it on glass) before the wood will lose structural integrity? Does there come a point when the wood just gets too brittle? Or am I just looking for a problem that's not one?
Thanks,
Jack
Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 AM
bps

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I should have taken some construction photos of the ribs and conversion. I now only have the photos of the finished frame up. It is not covered yet. The ribs are light ply with slots in them for the hard plywood spars that slide into the outer ribs. I had the ribs cnc cut for $35 for the set and was very happy with the results. Just a little bit of sanding and trimming and they fit perfectly. Socket head machine bolts 4 (2-56) hold the outer panels firmly to the center section. These bolts insert in the bottom of the wing through aluminum guide tubes and screw into blind nuts in the outer panels. I can take pictures of all of this if you would like.

I would not be to concerned about the moisture content of the wood, you could lay the sheets flat and place a couple of books on them to keep them flat.

JEB
Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 AM
horseshoejack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Jeb and all the ships at sea, thanks for the wing info. I tried to just lay out some of the wing but I lost your drift about one sentence in. (I'm not savvy enough yet to follow directions I cant see, I reckon.)
Sooner or later I'll run into one of the local grey beards and get a drawing on the hood of my truck and a two hour lecture on how lucky I am cause in his day they had to cut down the tree to build a kit and ride a bicycle generator to power a transmitter the size of a refrigerator

In the snow.

At night.

I'll put up some progress pictures here soonly.
And hey--
Merry Christmas, every-body!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service