Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Suggested Mods for Astro Hog?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Suggested Mods for Astro Hog?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 04:14 AM
n7tb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggested Mods for Astro Hog?

I have an Astro Hog kit that I am getting ready to build. I would be interested in experiences others have had with this kit, especially what modifications you would suggest that might improve upon what appears to be a great plane.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 04-03-2003, 12:56 AM
SHARK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a couple of these and they are nice flying planes. My first one had a Fox .45 in it and it flew just fine, although most people would think that wouldn't be a big enough engine. I built it as a tail dragger, and after I broke the mains out of the wing I mounted an aluminum landing gear on the flat area of the fuse just ahead of the wing. That didn't look so nifty but it was stronger. I took most of the dihedral out of the wing, it looks and flys better that way. My Futaba Conquest radio stopped working one day and the Astro Hog hit the dirt and broke the fuse in the wing saddle - that must be the weakest part. The wing was still good so I bought a fuse from somebody but it was built extremly heavy. I put a .91 four stroke in it and it flew ok but not as nice as the first one.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:40 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have three of these at my field. Opps two - one landed in a tree. One is built completely stock and two were built with half the dihedral taken out. The Sig Pigs' with the dihedral reduced are more acrobatic. I've got to build me one of these one day soon.

John
Old 04-03-2003, 02:47 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JNorton, which version did you like the best?

Jerry
Old 04-03-2003, 04:29 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am finishing an oversized Hog. I've got another few weeks before it's painted and done. I too have removed a little more than half the dehydral. ( Justin at Sig manufacturing had confirmed to me that this will not cause any adverse habbits, as can happen with some other planes.)

If you're building a tail dragger as I have, I recommend you move the landing block forward about another 3/4" (as I have also done) I have witnessed that the gear can catch up on the grass during initial take off taxi and the plane want to nose over. This minor modification is common enough, and will place your wheel a little more forward of the wings leading edge. There are a number of guys like Shark who use pre fabbed aluminum gear on the fuse. Naturally these guys, and the guys who use trike configuration don't experience the nose over problems.
As a matter of pride, some guys would not want to acknowledge that there's anything wrong with the placement of the block where it is. (or anything else for that matter) The guy at my club insisted to me that everything right out of the kit was Jim Dandy, as I watched him rev up the engine trying to get unstuck from a 4 leaf clover without nosing over plane!
Old 04-04-2003, 01:57 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tailskid,
Definitely a tail dragger with half the dihedral removed with a .91 4 stroke.

Later,
John
Old 04-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Spicoli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of my hog.It is a taildragger,half of the dihedral,cowled,canopy,aftermarket landing gear on fuse, wheel pants, extended rudder,and dual wing servos.I have a Saito 91 in mine .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68008_3240.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	41035  
Old 04-04-2003, 04:14 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spicoli,

Super nice Nice Looking! With half the dehydral cut out, have you noticed any bad habbits requiring rudder correction? I intended on doing the same 50% cut on dehydral with mine but ended up inadvertantly removing more like 2/3 of the dehydral.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Spicoli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RandallM.,
I have never flown one with all the dihedral so I couldn't give you a honest comparison.I have not noticed any bad habits with mine. I wouldn't worry about your 2/3 dihedral.