Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Triangle stock and tail feathers

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Triangle stock and tail feathers

Old 04-02-2003, 09:27 PM
edberry22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triangle stock and tail feathers

At what point is adding triangle stock a very wise choice?

I only ask because so far, I have yet to build a kit that calls for it, yet there are many folks who say it should be done.

I mean....does the fin fly off the plane or is it to help make crisper manuvers?? what??
Old 04-02-2003, 10:15 PM
boneman_66

take this with a grain of salt as i'm in the process of building my first kit , but i'm doing it to provide extra support to the horizontal stabilizer (i'm guessing that's the same as tail feathers?). that part of the plane is weaker than the main wing obviously (no spars etc.) and is subject to cracks or breaks where it meets the fuse. the venture 60 that i'm building doesn't call for it, but i plan on adding the triangle stock as i have a friend who also has a venture 60 and his broke at exactly that spot.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:21 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although not really necessary on most kits, it doesn't hurt anything to throw some tri-stock on the stabs. It provides more area for the glue, help align the fins and does increase strength.

Nobody will fault you for putting it on there especially on a non-scale plane.

Don
Old 04-02-2003, 10:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A well engineered kit either doesn't need it, or incorporates it in the design. Usually, if they don't tell you to do it, you don't need to. But if there's a kit in particular that you are interested to know about, this is the place to ask!
Old 04-02-2003, 10:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to do it more often than not because I throw them around pretty hard in the sky and prefer to know that the stab won't fold. I have torn a couple off, but then I use about 2 to 3 times the control movement that most people use.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Cdallas2

More for that extra protection than anything else.

Just because the instructions don't tell you to doesn't mean it's still not a good idea.

I don't know many people who have built a kit and not changed something along the lines.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:11 PM
edberry22

I can see the need if your flying an aerobatic plane and tend to really test the construction or abilities of the plane. I guess my question is more aligned with the Tiger I just built. Its finished and now I am wondering if I should have added them. I did add a half inch to the back of the rudder, and I did build the plane to withstand almost anything, hence why it feels so heavy to me,(wish I had a scale) but I didnt think about adding the triangle stock to the stabalizers. I only plan on sport flying this plane with what I would call normal trick stunts, but really dont plane on "testing the planes abilities beyond my own. Both fins are epoxied in place if that makes much difference. I just dont want the thing to snap off and have ill effects on the day.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:39 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you built it to plan, don't worry about it. It's mostly a "belt and suspenders" type of thing on a sport plane.

Go fly.

Don
Old 04-03-2003, 02:45 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ecajberry
(wish I had a scale)

Weigh yourself on the bathroom scale then pickup the airplane and subtract the difference. It's better than nothing. Usually within 4 ounces.

I found a used postal scale at work that no one wanted and was given permission to take it home.

I knew one flyer who used the vegetable scale at the local market after talking to the owner.

Good luck,
John
Old 04-03-2003, 03:53 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

Go to Walmart and get a cheap digital fish scale. Weigh something (bag of beans, etc) to check accuracy. Then use it for your planes. It's also good to have if you want to check engine thrust.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:17 AM
wfortney99
My Feedback: (310)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Triangle stock and tail feathers

Originally posted by ecajberry
At what point is adding triangle stock a very wise choice?
IMHO .... No need for triangle stock if you precisiely follow the directions concerning tail feather gluing. Plus makes covering the area much easier.

a digital fish scale is a cheap investment and the way to go. It also helps you determine if you are a "heavy" or "light" builder.