Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

looking for spacewalker 40 or 60 size kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

looking for spacewalker 40 or 60 size kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 AM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for spacewalker 40 or 60 size kit

do any of you know where i could get a spacewalker 40 or 60 size kit. cant seem to find anywhere. qwant to make this a father and
daughter project. she really loves the spacewalker. thanks andrewwisc.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Don41

Default RE: looking for spacewalker 40 or 60 size kit

Seagull makes one. Unfortunately it's an ARF so all you'll get to do is assemble, not build.

You can get one here for about 120.00

http://www.*********.org/seagull.htm
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 AM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCM has a set of plans for the Spacewalker 60. The plans are # PL-1032. The plans are $31.00 The web site is
www.rcmmagazine.com
You can also get the cowl for the spacewalker from fiberglass specialties for $41.00
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/
They also have the windshield blank or you can probably cut it out of a 2 litre bottle.
A scratch build would be a really good father daughter project and both of you will learn a lot. Start out by copying or tracing the plans to make templates for all of your parts. Order your wood and put on the coffee pot. Take your time and enjoy the bonding experience.

If you don't feel comfortable cutting out all the wood, you can look for a good laser kit cutter and get them to make a kit for you.

Other than that Sig has a 1/4 scale kit for a 90 size engine. Or the Sig Astro Hog looks close, you can probably change the wing tips to make it look more like the spacewalker.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
TakingFlight96

Theirs always that one hanging up at the LHS right, dad ! Or that ARF, Don41 mentioned wouldn't be a bad project either.

-- TakingFlight96
Old 12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
jrcaster

Look in on his Midwest Citabria build threads. I think he could tackle a scratch build from plans. What do you guys think?

Andrew, answer back and let us know if we are leading you in the right direction. Also how old is your daughter? That would help us to know so we can figure out what she could do to contribute to a build, or scratch build. IE can she use an x-acto knife? Is she good at tracing?

Lets get you into a spacewalker you can be proud of, and get her hooked on the hobby. Lets get this to be a bonding experience (hopefully not to each other with the glue.)

Just post back and tell us I like that idea, I don't like that.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:13 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SIG makes a 1/4 scale and a 1/3 scale Spacewalker Kit. www.sigmfg.com Look under the RC Airplane Kit Section.

This direct link may get you there....

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

SunDevilPilot
Old 12-22-2007, 05:25 PM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

hello all.
thanks for posting your suggestions. to jrcaster. thanks for your vote of confidence about doing a scratch build. the citabria is my first kit build. while it went pretty good im not sure im at the level nessesary to do a good build from sratch. my daughter is 11 years
old. she will start training on a nextstar in the spring. and wants this for a second or third plane. as far as the sig 1/3 or 1/4 scale
it is just to big for transporting and trying to hold cost down somewhat. i would definetly rather build than get an arf on this one.
i will definetly think about sratch building as we have some time before she trains . thanks andrew wisc.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:22 PM
TakingFlight96

jrcaster,

My dad (andrew wisc.) already got me hooked on this wonderful hobby that is RC. I have my own Hobbico Nexstar, will be training in the spring, we both belong to a great local club, and I have had countless hours on the RealFlight G3.5 simulator which we're borrowing from a guy in the club. Also not to brag or anything,but, my dad gave me colors he wanted for his Midwest Citabria build and let me do my own unique version of the traditional starbust pattern and he'll be taking the plane over the clubs "covering man" to be covered in a beautiful cub yellow and a flat white sometime between X-mas and New Years. So, we do bond a lot already but, I think a kit build would be a great project for the both of us and would teach me more about building, which I'll probably be doing a lot of in the future.

-- TakingFlight96
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 PM
jrcaster

Takingflight96, Now that I see who you are, the post you did earlier geve me a little chuckle.

For both of you, I am glad to see more builders in here. As far as a scratch build, it takes a few more tools. A scroll saw or a small band saw would make a nice addition. You can find a good one at Lowes cheaper than getting the Dremel version.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...VHW&lpage=none

If you want to build from plans and still don't feel comfortable scratch building, check out the laser cutters. They will take your plans and turn out a laser cut kit for you to build.

That might be a nice intermediate step for you to think about.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:58 PM
TakingFlight96

jrcaster,

That is a pretty good idea, although, I might have to think about it a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- TakingFlight96
Old 12-29-2007, 02:51 PM
jrcaster

Here is my first scratch build from plans. It was completed to this point back in 1995. I got out of the hobby before I got to finish it. 3 other people that I know also built it and say it is a great flyer. It is really almost as easy to build as a kit. If you would like to try a scratch build before you try and tackle the Spacewalker I would recommend this one. It is the Airmeister plan set from RC Modeler Magazine #805.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...FlynNQzSo5h8o6

The only thing I don't like about the Airmeister is that the wings are rubber-banded on instead of being bolted on, but it was designed to be a first biplane.

I have built the Goldberg Eagle 2, Sig Kavalier, and Sig Kougar from kits before I tried this one. And after looking through your threads on the Citabria, is the reason I say you might be ready for a scratch build from plans.

I recently found a cowl that would fit this one, for the Great planes 1/12 scale combat corsair. It is the wrong color, but all I have to do is scuff it and spray what I want over it.

I plan on completing this one after I am done with my Super Sportster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97602.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	836542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60435.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	836543