Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cig Citabria on the building board - any tips?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cig Citabria on the building board - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 04:24 AM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cig Citabria on the building board - any tips?

My plans at this stage are:
Saito 72
Dual mini aileron servos
Pull-pull rudder

What I'm not sure about is how "scale" I want to go. I'm not really a scale builder or flier. I'm more of a plywood and Monokote builder and aerobatic flier. However, I could be convinced to go "scale" on this one and do the fabric and paint covering, scale details, and all that.

I would also like to know of any structural improvements.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:20 PM
linclogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this answer won't be acceptable to all folks and that's Ok.

I always prefer to build what they call "sport scale" or "stand-off scale" (maybe "stand WAY-off scale"?) and here's why:

I admire someone that can spend hundreds or even thousands of hours building "museum scale" models. I just don't have the patience or the time for it. Why spend the time on something that you cannot see when you step back 10 feet, let alone while it's flying several hundred feet up in the air? I'd rather spend the time building several stand-off scale models and enjoy flying them rather than consuming all my time building that one model that is detailed right down to every scale panel line and rivet. Just my personal opinion, mind you! I still enjoy seeing those full scale models, too!

What I like to do is add scale-like details to my models - put in a non-scale cockpit, or add an ADF antenna, or some of those Robart gear strut covers, things like that. You don't have to get highly involved to get a "scale-like" look.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:55 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many a Moon ago I built one, and what a nice airplane it turned out to be, I had mine covered with Supercoverite and dope, then painted with automotive acrylic enamel and also had it setup to fly with floats and it did so admirably even with a rather smallish floats from GB (plastics), mine was setup with a ST .50 2 stroke, perfect match, so your Saito should be right on the money, it already has very scale outlines so adding some small details would only add to its appeal, you'll love it!
Old 04-06-2003, 03:21 AM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh brother, the structural details on this thing are prehistoric. There's enough lumber in the box to build two airplanes. I'm nervous that it will turn our heavy.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

History is good! Build it!