Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What iron on covering works for you???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What iron on covering works for you???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:19 PM
pipercub1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What iron on covering works for you???

Hey,
I was wondering what iron on covering works the best? On my first kit plane, one that's going on its third year now, has Monokote on it. It went on nicely, but wrinkles appeared on it over time. I stay away from Monokote after trying the original Ultracote, the old Oracover that went out of business. I really liked Ultracote. What a difference, one problem though is that Ultracote is out of business. Hangar 9 has some of their Ultracote stuff, but it doesn't work as well as Carl Goldberg Ultracote. All of the coverings I have used go on well, but over time my planes get wrinkles. Someone told me to try some kind of balsa sealer designed to make the covering stick better. I think it's made by Coverite? Does this balsa sealer keep the covering from getting slacked over time? What kind of covering do you guys like? Iron on coverings are nice because a plane can be covered in a few hours with the stuff, but I really think I should try fiberglassing someday. It's more time consuming, but when done right, it looks great. Please let me know what you guys think and let everyone know what works best for you! I'm sure I'm not the only modeler that is battling the covering wrinkles.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:37 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pipercub1234,
Lets see you've asked many questions.

Best iron. Temperature controlled. Hanger 9 has one as does Coverite.

Wrinkles. I've just accepted it as a fact of life. When spring comes (if it ever does this year - West Michigan just had a ice storm and an 1" of snow!) I do a once over check of the planes and hit them with an iron or heat gun to tighten the covering. Usually not a big deal.

Coverite makes Balsarite. I use it - some people swear at it. It must be thin to use. I thin mine with acetone. Brush on one coat. Don't go over it again! Use it when the plane is ready to cover. After all the dings etc have been filled. It will raise the grain. I then hand sand with 300 - 400 sand paper. It gives a very smooth surface for the covering to adhere to. I like it, but I still have some small wrinkles.

To me glassing is for bigger models than I fly. When I get into 1/4 scale I plan on trying it. For now though 40 to 60 size planes are my bag.

Good luck,
John
Old 04-05-2003, 11:16 PM
SHARK

I'm pretty sure Oracover and Ultacote are the same. It is made in England and Goldberg imported it. Now Hangar 9 imports it but it is the same. Someone will correct this if it isn't right.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:11 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultracote and Oracover are the same thing and are made in GERMANY. Personally, as fars as films are concerned, I prefer Ultracote over Monokote.

The BEST pre-painted iron-on covering I've ever used is hands down Solartex distributed in the U.S. by Balsa USA.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:26 AM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

Here is my two cents worth.

I am in the beginning stages of my first covering job on my first kit. I am using Monokote (Missile Red & White). I have the Monokote video and have been following their instructions. So far so good. Everything is sticking and I am able to cover with a minimum of wrinkles. Any wrinkles I have after using the iron seem to vanish when I use the heat gun. I guess only time will tell.

Everyone seems to have their preference when it comes to covering material, but most I have talk too seem too lean toward Monokote, so I went in that direction.

I may try something else next time around but for now Monokote seems to be working for me.

AL
Old 04-06-2003, 12:31 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer UltraCote and get great results. I have a friend who is a covering genius and he won't touch UltraCote. For him it's MonoKote all the way. The covering jobs he puts on his planes are simply awesome!

The bottom line is both UC and MK work very well, but they do require different methods of application. I think a misunderstanding of these differences is the cause of most of the 'Kote wars...
Old 04-06-2003, 02:27 AM
CafeenMan

I've yet to see a model covered with an iron-on film that didn't bubble up here in the Florida sun. So to answer that question - none of them.

Iron-on fabrics do ok though.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:41 PM
pipercub1234

Thanks for the help guys. I just get a little frustrated when I work really hard to get a wrinkle free airplane. Then after a while, it's no longer wrinkle free. Oh well, I take lots of photos so if anyone says, "Hey, you have a wrinkle!". I can show them a photo of the plane wrinkle free. Also, while flying high, bad covering jobs seem to disappear.
I also try to reheat the covering to take away wrinkles and that only make a wrinkle in another location.