Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Citabria

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Citabria

Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Minnang
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Citabria

Tried this kit a few years ago as my first build and had just enough skill to build a pile of firewood out of it. Swore I'd always go back and finish one when I learned to measure then cut.

Here it is:

Covered in 21st Century fabric
Goldberg tailwheel
Dual aileron servos
Sullivan flying wires
OS 46AX with modified Pitts muffler
Dave Brown Ultimate spinner

This was a challanging kit and a bit frustrating at times, but worth everything new that I learned. It will be the first one in the air this spring.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46817.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	827513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89752.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	827514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93341.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	827515  
Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sig Citabria

That is a beautiful job. I have one of the kits in the box and I hope to start on it in the near future. I plan to use the same paint scheme that you used but in maroon rather than red (maroon and white, the school colors of my alma mater, Mississippi State University).

I built the A&A Bud Nosen kit several years ago and was very dissatisfied with it. It took 3 years to build because I kept getting frustrated and putting it away. The final result was nice but I expect the Sig Citabria to be much better.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
DaveB

Minnang,

Nice job, it really looks good. I am currently building the same plane and am about ready to cover. May I ask how the red was applied? Did you use the red 21st Century covering or paint over the base color? If painted, what kind of paint and was it sprayed or brushed?

Thanks,

DaveB
Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Minnang

Thanks Dave.

It's all covering. I covered the bottom of the fuselage with white to the stringer below the windows then covered the top with red overlapping the bottom by about 1/2 inch. The wings got white out to the second rib from the tip and the tips covered seperately with red overlapping again about 1/2 inch. The stripes were then cut and ironed on. This is the first time I've used this stuff and it took a little getting used to. I had to experiment with the iron temp a little bit to get it to stick well but it produces a very smooth beautiful finish. I also applied Balsarite around areas like the wing servo openings and anywhere else there was not a lot of surface area to hold it. No worries about bubbles under the trim either.

Minnang
Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM
DaveB

Minnang,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will be covering my Sig Citabria with Solartex. I haven't decided whether to paint over the base color (white), or use a different color of the same fabric for the trim and other areas. I would like to try painting with "rattle cans", but I am not sure I have the confidence to give it a try. I don't want to screw the job up at this point.

I am planning to rabbet the windows with a routing bit so the windows will be flush with the fuselage sides. It should work out good.

DaveB
Old 12-22-2007, 10:06 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job on your Citabria! I have mine nearly ready for covering. I also used aileron servos as I dont like bell cranks. I used Robart hinges for the tail surface and pinned hinges for the ailerons.
Had a bit of a time with the cowl though with adding the lower scoop.
Mine will be powered by an Atlas outrunner from Hobby Lobby and 5S Lipo.
I bought Sig Aerocote in Deep red, White and red and white checkerboard.
Obviously we wont get to fly ours until the snows clear and it warms up enough so that our hands dont freeze into solid lumps.
Mine has taken me 3 years to finish as I also got a little frustrated with it. Now its almost ready.
Oh yeah, I also used pull-pull for the rudder and tailwheel.
cheers jollyroger
Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM
crashinator

Mind if I join in? I too bought a SIG Citabria kit to build this winter. what building advice would you guys give, aka: mods, improvements, ect. I plan on using a .70 fs (maybe Magnum) with Futaba gear. The 3-piece cowl will be my first "multi piece" cowl, any tips? I was gonna go for the green on white scheme.

P.S. awsome looking job Minnang!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 AM
DaveB

With regard to the cowl, I used CA for assembly and then filled in the seams with "Squadron Putty"which is similar to "Bondo". Comes in a tube and is available from Tower. It worked good for me.

As far as construction goes, be real careful assembling the fuselage. You have to pay close attention here or you could wind up with a non true fuse. The wing is fairly straight forward and in my case, I built it with 2 aileron servos. One thing I am doing different from the instructions is attaching the elevators last. I will cover both elevators and attach them to the fuselage after the fuselage has been covered. I didn't think I could get a good covering job if the elevator(s) were attached to the fuse before covering.

One last point; I am powering mine with the Magnum .52 4 stroke, side mounted. I did't have to carve up the cowl too much, so it looks good. I will be covering soon and will be using white "Solartex" with the trim scheme still to be determined.

DaveB
Old 12-28-2007, 01:06 PM
crashinator

I have become a fan of installing two servos instead of belcranks, I definately plan on that mod!
Do you have experience with the Mag. .52 fs? I have a .91 fs in an Edge 540 and it seems to be a good motor, its sensitive to adjustments though. I will be certain to pay close attention to construction of the fuse. The only other Sig kit I have built was a Something Extra, and I was pleased with the instructions, and the outcome.

Troy
Old 12-28-2007, 01:47 PM
DaveB

Troy,

I have 2 Mag 52's and 1 Mag 70, all 4 strokes. At present, only 1 52 is in a plane, specifically the GP Cherokee 40. It has very little run time on it as the plane was recently built and flown. Having said that, the engine is running very well and seems to be a good match for the Cherokee and IMO will be a good fit for the Citabria. Although, if you are into serious airbatic maneuvers, the 70 might be a better choice.

One other minor change I made in building was replacing the stock tail wheel with the Sullivan.

I think you'll find the "Something Extra" to be a much easier build. It's a modern design and laser cut, whereas the Citabria is somewhat dated. It is definitely a builder's kit, but it's a good flyer and well worth the effort. We'll see this spring.

DaveB
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM
crashinator

Good to know, I almost always stuff as much motor in a plane as I can get. I'm really interested in owning a Citabria, it was the first real airplane I flew in, and I have always admired the appearance of them. I agree the SSE was an easy kit, but we all need a challenging build once and a while!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Minnang

The windshield was a little tough for me. Looks simple enough, but it took a bit of trimming and fitting to get it right. As DaveB states most of the build is pretty straightforward but checking alignment of the fuselage as you go is definately a must. There's no self-aligning with this kit and building carefully pays off. I should have started a build thread with the first one I attempted as my first build. It would have been hilarious. Built the tail feathers with the wrong size stock, fuselage looked like a modern art nightmare, and the wing had a great warp solidly built into it. Oh well, I certainly enjoyed it this time around. Will finish out the winter building my GP Skybolt. The Sig Ryan I got off Ebay doesn't look so tough now and will be next winter's victim. Have fun and look forward to seeing all the Cits.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 PM
crashinator

I bought a Skybolt ARF this past spring, with a .91 fs and it may be my favorite plane (right now) the .91 made for just the right power, I probably have 30 ish flights on it and cant wait to go again.
I havent even looked at the prints yet, but i just experienced my first "non locking" fuse, I just finished an Andrews Aeromaster and the fuse had to be pinned down to the print, trued, measured, re measured, re-trued, ect.

I keep looking at your plane and I think I like the red better than the green I had in mind, covering is a long ways away and Im sure to change my mind a dozen times!!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
stsch

Ordered the kit today. I am afraid that she will at some time no longer easily available, and this plane was always the one I really wanted.
The size of the wing is a little big for transport and building.
What do yoou guys think about building a 2 part wing with alu joiners? Maybe graphite holms?
Have not seen the kit yet, but that should not be so hard.
My take on that is that if you can build 3D acrobats with high g-forces and extrem forces impacting the wing with a 2 piece wing, why would that not be possible with the Citabria? That would make it a even better model.
It's an "old" kit, maybe 2 piece wings were not en vougue at that time?

After all I read here I am a little intimidated, but I love that plane so much I just HAVE to try it!

Steff
Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 PM
DaveB

IMO changing the wing into a 2 piece configuration, actually 3 piece as the center section is flat, isn't worth the effort. The wing as designed is 69", which can be carried easily in all but the smallest of vehicles. The plane as designed requires considerable time and effort.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

DaveB
Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 AM
stsch

Dave I will certainly take that in consideration. You are right. it will fit in car (VW Jetta). Just have to figure out how to build an 69" wing on a 48" board.

I see in previous posts that you built the kit yourself.

I will after reading the posts here build the fuselage first and proceed only after that is to my satisfaction.

And yes, I WILL take my time, I know this kit can certainly not be rushed.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 AM
DaveB

Stsch,

Building the wing on a 48" board is not a problem as the wing is built in 3 sections (center, left wing and right wing) and then joined.

Another point to consider if building a 2 (3) piece wing; keep in mind the center section is flat and would be secured to the fuselage. It seems to me the battery, servos and receiver would be difficult to access without considerable fuselage modification as those components are accessed through the top of the cabin area. Alternatively, the 3 piece wing would have to be joined BEFORE attaching it to the fuselage. In that case, very little is gained. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I believe it to be a lot more difficult than it would appear at first blush.

DaveB

Old 01-20-2008, 01:43 AM
stsch

Three sections....
that being said I agree, it might be more work than I thought and not worth it.

I'll just buy a bigger car <G>
Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 AM
crashinator

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan on using for an engine?
I have the same kit I was hoping to start this winter and was planning on a .70 fs, maybe a Magnum.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
stsch

I definetly will use an electric motor. There are plenty of posts out there about a conversion.

Sorry, don't know anything about gas engines.

Steff
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
crashinator

Dont be sorry, I know nothing about electrics!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:57 PM
DaveB

I finally completed the Sig Citabria. It's covered with Solartex and powered with a Magnum .52. It definitely is a builder's kit that requires considerable time and effort to get good results. IMO it was worth the effort. Haven't maidened her yet, but will later in the season.

DaveB
Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 PM
DaveB

I will try again to attach a couple of pics of my Citabria.

DaveB
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM
TAC221

Hi dave maybe I have come to this thread a little late, My question is have you flown this baby and how did it go.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM
DaveB

tac221,

I am ashamed to admit I haven't flown it as yet. It's hanging from the ceiling waiting patiently for me. Maybe this year.

I haven't had any crashes of late and because I've gotten into the habit of building another plane immediately after completing one, as a result I have amassed a "hangar" storing more airplanes than I have been able to fly.

DaveB