Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

kits will be gone soon?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

kits will be gone soon?

Old 04-08-2003, 04:59 PM
pikebishop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kits will be gone soon?

today at the lhs the owner said that the major supplier of kits will not be making more as all will go to arf's. I was so flabergasted by this I didn't inquire further. say this isn't so. maybe he was jerking my chain trying to start a rumor to move some kits. I hope this isn't true. I really enjoy the challenge of building and it would get boring fast if every plane looked the same,all arfs i mean.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:21 PM
747pilot
My Feedback: (4)

Hold on...I'm gonna hold my breath while this happens........................................... ...............
.................................................. .......................
.................................................. .......................
.............pppppuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhh.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:49 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here we go again.

Kits will always be here.

Enough said.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Chris300s
My Feedback: (1)

I guess that the Guillows, Flair, Estes, MicroX, Peck Polymers etc. free flight lines will close up shop too? (I'm not going to hold my breath).
I think that there will always be a market for people who enjoy building. What we've seen is an explosion in the sport plane ARF market. While kit sales at the LHS are down, overall sales are up in spite of a slow economy. The cheap ARFs have really brought people in with attractive packages that get you in the air without a lot of time investment. The fact is that your local hobby shop never made much off of a kit. The margin is higher on an arf, but what really supports the hobby shop are the accessories!
Ultimately, I don't think that many will mourn the loss of those kit built PT-40's and 40. sized Extra's, and I don't think that ARF's will ever replace the P-38's and Morrisey Bravo's that the builders buy. Too many people enjoy the art of kit bashing or turning a Piper Cub into a PA-18-1.

Chris
Old 04-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

I think you'll find that some manufacturers of kits will no longer make them. My LHS said that in a few months he had been informed that the Top Flight warbird kits would be replaced with ARFs. If you want to build I think you'll always be able to buy kits, just not such a large number to choose from. You can always scratch build or have a "kitter" make one up from plans, but this is undoubtedly expensive. If kits aren't making them money and ARF's are, they'll move to ARFs.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Charlie P.

As long as people like me fly R/C there will be kitted aeroplanes.

Or is that re-kitted aeroplanes?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:50 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by MinnFlyer
Here we go again.

Kits will always be here.

Enough said.

WELL PUT!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:20 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed a trend in advertising toward the ARF's as well. Manufacturer's push the ARF in magazine ads more than the kits. For example, when Great Planes came out with the PT-19 ARF, I never saw the Dynaflite PT-19 kit listed anywhere, yet it is still made.

What I miss are all the kit building articles in the magazines. Nearly all are on an ARF rather than a kit. OK, sorry, I didn't mean to perpetuate this subject which has been beat like a red-headed step child, I'll shut up now.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:23 PM
CafeenMan

I agree there will always be kits. Unfortunately, the pickings are slim now and it's only getting worse. You have to dig in the cracks to find those garage operations that make decent kits.

But.... if nobody made kits any more, you can always scratch build anything you want. Personally I prefer to do that anyway.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

A lot of ARF's are converted into Kits at the field... Just did it 2 days ago! Guess I will have to finish my 4*40 now.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:36 PM
M Gill

As long as there are people who want kits, there will be kitters.

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
http://www.theaeroplaneworks.com
Old 04-09-2003, 03:35 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Elwood take it easy on those ARFs. It is a question of supply and demand. No self respecting scale modeler would mess with ARFs. The only area that concerns me is the new generation of kits like Aerotech that have so much scale details build into them that generates an unfair advantage in scale competitions, furthermore, little detail works like putting rivets will soon become a lost art . I personally think these kits should be judged in a new category. What do you think ?
Old 04-09-2003, 03:50 PM
MinnFlyer

Originally posted by FlyingPilgrim
What I miss are all the kit building articles in the magazines. Nearly all are on an ARF rather than a kit.
I am pleased to announce that I am working with RCU to start doing some KIT Reviews!

There are still several ARF's on the schedule, but hopefully we should soon be lining up some kits.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:31 PM
FLYBOY

Good news mike. If you need any articles, let me know. I could do a few for you.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:40 PM
CafeenMan

Is RCU providing the kits? If so you can count me in.

Here's a sample of my reviewing capabilities:

This kit is junk. The instructions are vague, the plans are wrong, the wood is crap and the parts don't fit. It flew right off the board because all my planes do that.
Howzat?
Old 04-09-2003, 04:46 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

FINALLY...an honest review!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:02 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by foxx
Hey Elwood take it easy on those ARFs. It is a question of supply and demand. No self respecting scale modeler would mess with ARFs. The only area that concerns me is the new generation of kits like Aerotech that have so much scale details build into them that generates an unfair advantage in scale competitions, furthermore, little detail works like putting rivets will soon become a lost art . I personally think these kits should be judged in a new category. What do you think ?

This same concern was raised about the Byron kits almost 20 years ago. A lot of people claimed unfair advantage and there was talk about enacting a penalty for fiberglass fuse kits. I don't know if it ever came to be, but it's not a new concern. But, look at the models in scale competition. Most, except for the jets, are scratch built. I don't think there is much to worry about. Scale builders are in it for many reasons other than just winning. Sure, everyone wants to win, but they also want to show off their skills to everyone else. How much pride is there in competing with a model where all of the hard work is done for you AND everyone knows it was done for you.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 05:27 PM
BillHarris

I agree there will always be kits. Unfortunately, the pickings are slim now and it's only getting worse. You have to dig in the cracks to find those garage operations that make decent kits.
So true. There will always be folks who build, and as long as plans are available there will be plenty of planes to be built.

Sad, but in these times of instant gratification and easy credit, it's easy to ker-plunk down the plastic and get flying with minimal effort.

Whatever flips your prop...
Old 04-09-2003, 06:33 PM
FLYBOY

Its a bummer that some of the good kits are gone. There is one I liked that I looked for 10 years and never found. I put ads on RCO when it was alive and found one. Then they started trickling in on ebay. I now have 8 of them.

I am still looking for the old MK kit that circus hobbies sold for a long time. They were $99. It was the Zlin kit. Quite the plane. Would love to come across a couple of those.

You can still find most if you are willing to look. I have found a ton of old kits and have about 40 of them stored away for someday.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I saw a Circus Hobbies Zlin not too long ago on one of the boards. Sorry, but I don't remember which board it was.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Bax

Originally posted by Jim Schwagle
...My LHS said that in a few months he had been informed that the Top Flight warbird kits would be replaced with ARFs.
Sorry, no. We'd not know where that information came from, but there is no intent for Top Flite kits to be replaced with ARFs. In fact, there are other kits currently in development, but we can't discuss them until they're officially announced.

The only Top Flite ARF models are the control-line Flite Steak and Nobler kits, which were just announced and displayed at the Toledo show.

If other Top Flite ARF kits are announced, they will be in addition to, and not instead of, the Gold Edition kit line.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:42 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by JWN
... How much pride is there in competing with a model where all of the hard work is done for you AND everyone knows it was done for you.

John
There must be some amount, look at the top gun guys that win with BVM jets, they are always smiling in the photos!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:45 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Yes, but they don't win everything and it still takes a whole lot of modeler to turn even a BVM kit into a scale winning ship.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 07:14 PM
beardking

I'd like to sign up to do a review or two of kits, that is if RCU would be so kind as to donate the kit and accesories for my review.