Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

wing bolts

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

wing bolts

Old 04-08-2003, 10:30 PM
cigolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing bolts

My topflite kit calls for me to drill and tap the wing bolt blocks. Although I've never done that before, it looks pretty straight forward. With the nylon bolts, is thi a preferred method to using blind nuts. I've used them before and it seems that they have less of a likelyhood to strip than hand made threads. Any suggestions? Thanks

Andy
Old 04-08-2003, 10:33 PM
ggale
My Feedback: (6)

Default wing bolts

If after you make the thread, and the nylon bolts fit good, soak the threads with thin CA. Threads will be good and solid, and you wont have to worry about them stripping
Old 04-08-2003, 11:07 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wing bolts

I don't know about preferred, but it works fine. If you aren't comfortable tapping the wood, use T-nuts (blind nuts), but you might want to put a dab of epoxy on them to make sure they don't fall out. I have tapped hardwood mounting blocks without any problems. Make sure to harden the threads with thin CA after tapping, then clean up threads with tap after CA cures.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:24 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default wing bolts

I've used both methods and they both work well. I go to the hardware store to buy my nylon bolts, the 1/4-20 used for toilets. They work great.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:25 PM
CafeenMan

Default wing bolts

I wouldn't use T-nuts unless you taper the block so the nuts sit flush against while being 90 degrees to the bolt.

It's not hard to tap the wood blocks. Just get the wing lined up perfectly, take careful measurements and drill SLOWLY!

Do what ggale said and CA the threads. But then go back and tap them again after the CA has cured for several hours. Don't do it too soon or you'll end up with chewed up threads and ca gunk all over your tap.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:52 PM
cigolf

Default wing bolts

It seems that the angle of the bottom of the block would not be flush. I see your point. Well, "a tappin' we will go......"

Thanks for all your help!

Andy
Old 04-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default wing bolts

DuBro makes a brass insert bushing that is another option.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:13 AM
edberry22

Default wing bolts

I have used both methods, and have yet to get either to fail.
As long as they are done correctly, there isnt a problem.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:57 PM
ml3456

Default wing bolts

I tried the bushing and it tore up the wing block because it had such a course thread. Try tapping on some scrap wood first, and try it at an angle. I don't remember what size I used, but the drill size is slightly larger for wood than on metal.

Nylon screws, CA, then re-tap

Mark
Old 04-09-2003, 01:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default wing bolts

Just tap the block, and as previously mentioned, add thin CA, let it cure, and re-tap. This system works great.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:37 AM
Azcat59

Default wing bolts

Want an easy and safe method? Align the wing with the fuselage, drill through the wing and bolt block with a 1/8" drill. Then use #8 sheet metal screws, with the hex heads, and they will cut their own very nice, clean, and deep threads. With the hex head, no screw driver to slip off and ram through your wing.

Some will argue that the nylon bolts will fracture in a hard "landing" and save the wing and fuselage. Most that I have seen in 26 years tear a lot of stuff up before they fracture.

I also imbed 1/2" dowels in the wing, through which the holes are drilled, and I make sure the dowels bed against the fuselage bolt block. Then when the bolts are tightened up, it all has a solid "bottom" to it, with no stress on the wing or bolt blocks.

Clair Sieverling
AMA 15654
Old 04-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Azcat59

Default wing bolts

I forgot to add that you use a 1/4" nut driver to screw the wing down, so no screw driver to slip off and tear things up.

Clair
Old 04-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Kaos Rulz

Default wing bolts

Clair,

I like your dowel rod method. I'm going to use it on my next model. Thanks......
Old 04-10-2003, 02:54 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wing bolts

Don't forget to use the correct size drill for the tap. If you are tapping a 1/4 inch bolt, don't use a 1/4 drill. I have seen that done before. Get the numbered drill when you buy the tap. They make better and stronger bolt holes.