Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

super skybolt build

Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
$ircra$halot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default super skybolt build

Has anyone had a problem with the cockpit bottom fit on the Great Planes Super Skybolt kit? I am building one now and the former F-2 keeps the cockpit bottom from fitting by 1/8" at the front on both sides, It appears to wide. I hesitate to narrow it for fear of changeing the geometry of the whole thing since this plane has a semi rounded fuse. And besides I think Great planes probably would know if there were a design flaw and would have either corrected it, or put an addendum in the instructions on how to fix the problem. Since this makes only the 5th kit I have built, I tend to think I have done something wrong, but can't seem to see it.
Second question. Have any of you put a Zenoah 20 ei in this plane? I think it would be a great combo but have not been able to fashion a different mount for it after 3 tries. The stock mount holes come out where the cabane carriers attach.
I thought about shortening the cabane holders 1/4" and laminateing some new slots on the back of the firewall but the way I see it, it would make access to the bolts on the inside of the firewall impossible. Thanks for your help
$ircra$halot
Garry
Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 PM
jrcaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: super skybolt build

I don't know much about the Super Skybolt, but if you want to read through a good build thread check this out. It may help you with your problem, and let you know what to expect further into the build.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#5070795
Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 PM
$ircra$halot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to jrcaster
what an incredible thread! But I must admit intimidation! Have I gotton in over my head with this one? I have had the very same feeling from the others I have built as well and they fly, well kind of. The real scary part is that I am learning something, lots-o-somethings.
$ircra$halot
Garry
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM
chashint

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: $ircra$halot

Thanks to jrcaster
what an incredible thread! But I must admit intimidation! Have I gotton in over my head with this one? I have had the very same feeling from the others I have built as well and they fly, well kind of. The real scary part is that I am learning something, lots-o-somethings.
$ircra$halot
Garry
I always think ... what the heck did I get myself into ... when I start a kit, but so far they have all been completed and they fly pretty darn good.
Hopefully someone will address your question that has direct experience.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:29 PM
$ircra$halot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I Hope so too chashint
I really want to put the little Zenoah engine on this thing and I have an idea how, it just means the bolts on the inside of the firewall will be un-accessable Once installed, and will need to have either red locktight, or be epoxied in before sheeting the top of the fuse. I E-mailed Great planes product support about the cockpit bottom and sent pics. They don't seem to think it will be a problem. Although I am not even close to the caliber builder that CHRISMH is, I still am not comfortable with the way this thing is going together. Maybe I can figure out how to send pics on here and get some feedback about it. The first pic. is the cockpit floor as shot from the rear of the plane. The second pic. is intended to show the former will seat properly, though it really does not show that well. It was glued in, but I removed it when I saw the way the cockpit floor fit, and it is just held tight with a clamp.
Thanks $ircraShalot.
Garry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26666.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	866348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11813.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	866349  
Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 PM
jrcaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gary, sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. I didn't post that link to make you feel intimidated, but to give you some ideas on a percision build. Sometimes the manuals lack some needed instructions.

As far as your engine choice, it may be a bit much. You might want to consider getting a .90 to 1.20 4 stroke. Check the size of the prop that engine is suppose to swing.

For your bolts on the firewall, post some pictures of your engine mount. Usually you epoxy the blind nuts on the back of the firewall so you don't have to get into them again. If you are saying what I think you are saying you may need to get an adapter plate to bolt up to the engine first, then bole that up to the firewall.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 PM
$ircra$halot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not a problem jrcaster no apolagy needed. I really appreciate your input, and that thread is very informative I plan to learn a lot from it. Unfortunately know one seems to have had a problem with the cockpit bottom that I have, I can't help but to wonder if I messed up something.
The reason I want to use the Zenoah so bad is to try to side step the price of glow fuel. I, like most people I think, fly every chance I get, and my budget does not allow for flying as often as I would like, so gas vs. glow fuel $. I have done some bashing and I am confident I will come up with a way to mount this thing on there. I have a freind that has one on a Funtana and I have a Funtana with a ys 110 that far out powers the Zenoah but it also out drinks the Zenoah if you know what I mean. Here is a pic. of the mount that the Zenoah ships with. As I said before the mounting holes come out in the slots where the cabanes are supposed to mount.
Thanks again
Garry

Name:	Ca80527.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	866726  
Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
jrcaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see your problem. Looks like the center holes are in a square pattern. If the engine will bolt up you might be able to rotate the mount a 1/4 turn.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
$ircra$halot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greetings jrcaster
I thought the same thing and have tried that. It works good for missing the slots for the cabanes, but you can't get to 1 of the bottom outer mounting bolts. I think I will have to shorten the cabane holders that fit in slots on the back of the fire wall. Then fill the original slots with lite ply and glue some new slots to the back of the firewall. I might try one more Idea of making a different mount out of aluminum but since I have limited tools for working aluminum and I have already fashioned 3 that did not work, I am thinking shortening the cabanes is a more realistic approach.
Have you any thoughts on the problem with this cockpit bottom. I have been in contact with Great planes product support and they have been trying to help, but so far we have been running into walls. I have attached 2 more pics of the fuse setting on top of the top view of the plans. It appears that it actually narrows after former F-3, go figure since the problem appears to be at former F-2 it appears to be to wide.

Name:	Xv64505.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	866886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57227.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	866887  
Old 02-02-2008, 01:04 AM
jrcaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gary, Go back and look at the fuselage sides as they sit on the plans. Looks like F2 might need some trimming to get the cockpit floor to fit. First thing though, are both sides sitting right on the plans? Check to make sure you don't have glue filling slots for F2, then pull out F2 and look at tab and slot fit. Also trim off any splinters.

Two things I can think of for your engine.
1. Do you need any spacers in front of the firewall? If so, use a piece of standard 1/2 inch plywood from your local home center as part of your spacer. change the bolt pattern from it to your firewall. Then use blindnuts to match it up to your mount.
2. If you need no spacers, Place the mount where it is suppose to be on the firewall. Take a pencil and draw the circle on the inside of the mount. Rotate the mount till you can get blindnuts to clear the cabane slots.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
$ircra$halot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I layed the fuse on the top view of the plans. Are you ready for this? The rear of the fuse fits great! The front actually comes out narrower then the plans by about the same amount the cockpit bottom is off, go figure, when the problem appears to be that former #2 looks to be to wide. I think I will trim it down 1/8" on both sides. I hate to because I am afraid if I do, I may have to trim other things as well. CHRISMH did not seem to run into this problem on his build, I don't know, I think I'll read somemore in the skybolt clubhouse thread and see if anyone else has had this problem. I can't help but think I zigged when I should have zagged somewhere, I just can't figure out where. Great planes has been around to long for their kits to be this far off.

I'm thinking The motor will require some kind of stand offs to get it out through the cowl and I think you may be on to something, useing wood insted of the tubular aluminum stand offs, or maybe a combination of the 2. I'll give it some more thought. At any rate I see this as being a long term build, but then every one I've built has been long term, but well worth it. I thought I might include a pic of my last build an Ace 4-60 bipe highly modified.

Name:	Hf98328.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	867789  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 AM
$ircra$halot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey jrcaster
I think I may have stumbled on something! I wonder if the top of the fuse needs to be wet down and bent around the former like the instructions say to do on the bottom of the fuse at the firewall. Looking at the former, it looks like it is notched to use the same procedure but the instructions don't mention it when they instruct you to install the cockpit bottom so I have e-mailed Great planes product support for some guidance, again. Lets hope. Back to reading.
Garry
Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
jrcaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From what I read in the manual, the firewall goes in before the cockpit floor. That may make the difference. That way when you wet down the sides it will pull in behind the f2 former.

Solve your mounting problem first. Mount the firewall. Then see where you stand.