Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Question about elevator push rod on a Rapture

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Question about elevator push rod on a Rapture

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about elevator push rod on a Rapture

OK, I'm just about finished with my project. But, I do have a question, regarding the push rod for the elevator. In order to get the push rod to move properly without binding, I had to bend it for proper orientation to the linkage. My estimate is that the Rapture has a top speed of about 70 miles per hour, and a stall speed of may 17 to 20, but I'm not sure.

OK, so here's the question: The rod feels stiff, and seems like it would hold up well enough against pressure. But, most push rods leading to elevators are strait, at least in the ARFs I have. I have seen other photos of planes, one of which had the linkage bent like mine but it was a 15 sized plane. Referencing the photo below, will my setup work as it is, or am I going to have to remove the horn, epoxy the holes, get another push rod, and start over again?

NorfolkSouthern
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25893.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	883272  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Question about elevator push rod on a Rapture

If I hold a straight edge to your picture. Where the rod exit the fuse lines up with the horn. Can you take the bends out and turn your horn to match the pushrod? You should also think about seeling the gap in the ELEV.

David
Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, I would angle the horn so that it is parallel with the rod as it exits the fuselage. This will require the least amount of bend. You can just soak the old holes and the balsa around them with CA so you don't end up with a weak spot.

I would try to straighten the rudder pushrod too.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Heres a little trick you can try the next time or even now after you have fixed the holes, put the clevis on your rod (A Straight Rod) and pull it back to where it will go on the surface in the correct area, it can be turned off from 90 a little bit and on a plane like that you won't ever notice it . Mark the holes and drill only one then put a screw thru it then drill the other to make sure things line up. If it needs any tweeking it will be very minor and won't make a weak place to fail later on. Harden the holes and around the horn area with thin CA redrill, attach the servo end, adjust and your ready.
Good Luck

Hint a round tooth pick works very good for plugging up old holes .
Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Well, I went ahead and replaced the rod. I put baking soda over the old holes, then put in a few drops of thin CA. After that, I covered it and then placed the clevis at the end of the new rod. I attached the horn to that clevis, then ran the elevator back and forth before screwing it in. Well, it worked. Next, I'll work on that binding issue with the elevator. I'll get this thing done, I paid too much for it not to!

NorfolkSouthern