Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Maple motor mounts or?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Maple motor mounts or?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maple motor mounts or?

i'm building a Proctor Nieuport 11 and mounting a Laser 80 to it. this will have to be done by recessing the engine back about an 1 1/2 from the main firewall. not a problem, but that distance pluse the thickness of a 1/4" ply at the back end of this leaves no room to use a conventional mount, so hardwood beams will be the best way to go.
question is, maple or birch......?
my LHS (Hobbytown toy store) does not carry any hardwoods.
i do have a maple chopping block that i've collected through remodeling jobs and don't have any problem cutting into it.
if you have any other suggestions, please speak.

thx
-mike
Old 02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maple motor mounts or?

maple would work its a pretty hard wood.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i recently purchased a 25 or so yr old pattern plane with the engine screwed to maple (i assume) rails. the 4 screws were so tight it literally took me 2 days to remove the screws. i would push extremely hard and twist, i could just barely twist the screw. i had to do this the entire length of all 4 screws. i was worried about stripping the head. my hand would get so tired i had to come back later. i would say, based upon that experience, that maple rails would do just fine.

david
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hobby store maple has gotten softer in recent years. Look around for New England Rock Maple, very slow growth and dense. You can drill and tap it for machine screws, but I like to use socket head sheetmetal screws to mount engines. The aft ends of the beams should be swiss cheesed to lighten them somewhat.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
iron eagel

If you are looking for rock maple for mounts here is a source:
Heritage Woodwrights 128 Chace Road East Freetown, MA 02717.
Tel. (508) 763-5280 or (800) 445-5887 Fax: (508) 763-5507. Email: [email protected]
www.heritagewoodwrights.com

If you only need some for a couple of mounts I have lots of scraps that I can't use for cabinet work...

edit to ad:

There was a time it was considered cheap wood under $1.00 a board foot and nobody would use it because it ate saw blades.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:10 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

now that is hard wood.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:19 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig I think still has some. I thought your fuse was already built? It might be hard to use wood mounts because the beams are run through bulkheads usually, not butt glued. You probably knew this but just making sure.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: TFF

Sig I think still has some. I thought your fuse was already built? It might be hard to use wood mounts because the beams are run through bulkheads usually, not butt glued. You probably knew this but just making sure.
yes the fuse is built. i precut the opening in the firewall and am following pictures that Joe from Proctor sent me. the mounting box is to be built in after the landing gear is assembled and mounted.
i made a cutout in the main firewall before i started so the the mounting box could be fabbed afterwards.

the beams will go through the main firewall and mount to the recessed firewall,sides and then will have a gusset on each side.
if you were to see the pictures of how the front end was done, it would explain alot.
i will go ahead with maple, and will try to get some of the material from Iron Eagle as soon as he gets back to me.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 AM
iron eagel

The only problem with rock maple (sugar maple) is that it is as heavy as it is hard. You must do as CP said and lighten it up a bit in the rear. It cuts and work a lot like metal or carbon fiber and does dull tools. But short of aircraft al it is the best thing for home built engine mounts.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM
summerwind

i wish to say thx to Paul (iron eagel) for helping me out, and also it is the one of the biggest reasons i remain in this fine hobby............nice folks all around this world, and another thx to all of you who responded.
i sometimes get into anal mental blocks that are to do with detailed items like this which i never used to give a second thought.
nowadays however with such limited time for building, i plan all my steps to keep from having to fix something that is avoidable by planning.

-mike
Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 AM
summerwind

many many thanks to "iron eagel"..............not only was he kind enough to send me enough Rock Maple for my current project, but he actually sent me enough to do at least a dozen planes should i need it, and here is the kicker, "Priority Mail?".........talk about a generous modeler.
thx again Paul, you are a genuine modeler.