Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Living dinosaurs in the kit world

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Living dinosaurs in the kit world

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 01:13 AM
ChuckN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living dinosaurs in the kit world

Ever wonder which airplane has been kitted the longest? I thought about it this afternoon and 2 planes came to mind: The Ugly Stik and the Sig Kougar. The Stik came out before the Kougar did back in the '70s but the Kougar is still being kitted by Sig today. By my reckoning the Kougar has been in continuous production for 27 years. If Top Flite wouldn't have stopped producing the Contender before Great Planes bought them up the Contender would be approaching 33 years of continuous production! Anyone know of any other long running kits?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:36 AM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

The Kougar is far from the grandaddy of Sig kits still being offered. It is kit RC 35. The 1/6th scale Cub is RC 3 while the clipped wing Cub is RC 26 and dates back to '69 or '70. The Citabria is RC 30. I do believe the Kougar is their oldest sport kit still in production, though.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:45 AM
linclogs

Let's see...can I count them if they've been 'upgraded'?

How about Goldberg's Falcon 56 line - Tower still shows the "Falcon Mk. III" for sale (never could figure out why folks continue to bid the prices of the Falcon's way up over $100 on eBay when you can still buy it at Tower for $74.99!!!).

How about Sig's 71" Piper Cub kit - it started out as a Berkeley kit (in the 1950's?), then was sold to Fox (yes, the same Fox that makes model engines), then finally, to Sig. Sig sold it as-is for awhile but later redesigned it with a one-piece wing and added a vacuum formed cowl.

These come immediately to mind - I'm sure there's a few others out there, too.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:58 AM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm building a Sig Citabria right now. Very "old school" design details. Makes me chuckle some times. It's a 1968 design upgraded in '71 I believe.

What about the TF Contender. Wasn't that an old control line stunt model? Speaking of classic CL stunt models, I sure wish I had the skill and patience to get the marvelous finishes those guys achieve. Simply amazing. Maybe I'll try some dope on my Citabria.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:17 AM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Nobler?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just finishing up a Contender. I think it was always intended to be R/C, but Dave Platt, the designer, did a lot of C/L models prior to that (1969). The Nobler started as a C/L.

The redoubtable Sig Astro Hog is ancient (1957), and I built a Riser 2M glider 23 years ago.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:54 PM
ilikeplanes

Ah, maybe the Nobler was what I was thinking.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Spicoli

Sig's Astro Hog originated in the 50's
Old 04-25-2003, 01:16 AM
ChuckN

Wow! Lot's of neat "old-school" stuff I hadn't thought about.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:54 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

I think the Falcon 56 is most likely the longest continually produced kit . All the others have stopped production at some time or other & then were reintroduced. Also there are very few kit manufactures that have lasted through the years.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a Contender and a Big Stik (ARF) on my workbench at the moment. Just last night my wife came in and frowned and said "Why do you build such ugly planes?" She absolutely hates the iron crosses on the Big Stik. Oh well. These are the planes I lusted after as a kid and now I have the chance I am making up for lost time. Her idea of pretty planes are the light electrics with transparent covering. I can't convince her it just wouldn't be the same with the solid balsa box fuselage planes like I have.

I find she makes no distinction between the iron cross and the swastika. Wonder how many folks not familiar with the history of the insignias have the same opinions?
Old 04-25-2003, 12:15 PM
rsabast

I'm a big fan of the old kits - they fly well. Just finished an Andrews Minimaster, and there is always a Kaos ready to go. Finishing a Kougar now. The Aeromaster is still in production by Great Planes, right? That's an old design. I remember Balsa USA Phaetons going back to the early 1970s, I think. How long has Chuck Cunningham been selling Lazy Aces? Seems the Sig Liberty Sport has been around a while too. I saw a company producing an ARF Kwik Fly, which was a Joe Bridi design before the Kaos.

Would be interesting to compile a list of continuous production kits - like the Cub RC-3; to me the idea is 'old' techniques still around in kit form - plans with big old servos and Webra Blackheads shown, no mention of CA or iron-on coverings, etc. Didn't the Astro Hog vanish and re-appear? (like the Nobler and Contender.)

Has anyone seen a list of all the Sig kits? They numbered then sequentially, right?

If only the Taurus had stayed in production......
Old 04-25-2003, 12:21 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by Charlie P.
I find she makes no distinction between the iron cross and the swastika. Wonder how many folks not familiar with the history of the insignias have the same opinions?
Unfortunately many people make that mistake. I'm building a BUSA Fokker Eindecker right now, and when my roomate (age 26) saw it he said "Man why are you making a Nazi plane?!"
Old 04-25-2003, 01:43 PM
big max 1935

The Kwik-Fly was a Phil Kraft design & was first kited by Top-Flight . Think the Astro-Hog was first kited by Berkeley Models, then they went in with FOX & then SIG bought several of their designs. I seem to forget Cleveland Models who had some R/C kits & probably still has plans, but the oldest after re-thinking is most likely Paul K.Guillow, Inc. They still have the little R/C kits.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:06 PM
rsabast

Big Max - you're right about Phil Kraft vs. Joe Bridi. Maybe the general similarity of the two planes confused me.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:08 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I have seen old rubber powered kits of the Rascal, same Elliptical wings and tail. Even the name Rascal is in the same script
Old 04-25-2003, 08:50 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default Want a Taurus?

Contact Dennis McMichael he's kitting it. [email protected]
Old 04-26-2003, 12:53 AM
big max 1935

I often wondered about the Rascal . the one I remember by Gold berg came with the trim inked on the wood & when you got it built all you had to do was dope it or use Comet fuel proofer (haven't thought of that stuff in years). You could build it three ways ,free flight, U/C or R/C. Maybe SIG bought the name as I don't think copyrights run out very easily. MAX H.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:10 AM
big max 1935

Here is some info from 1963. Top-flite Rascal 27" R/C $2.95. Falcon 56 $9.95 . Top-Flite Taurus 70" $29.95, really big bucks !
These are AHC prices. If I rattle on too much feel free to tell me to shut up as I do get carried away sometimes. MAX H.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:13 PM
big max 1935

Found a May 1962 American Modeler , page 15 . Shows Beth Goldberg holding what they say is a Flattop Stormer by Doug Spreng. It is really a Falcon 56 with a OS 15. This is the earliest picture I can find so far . Makes the old bird 41 years old. MAX H.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Bigc

iF you include U/C kits, it is probably going to be the
Ringmaster. First kitted before 1953, and was still being kitted
when Estes bought Sterling. I think that Estes still makes it.
That's over 50 years for a kit !