Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What kinds of glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What kinds of glue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
flyinsolo11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kinds of glue?

What kinds of glue do you guys recommend? Also where to use them on the aircraft and any tips that go along.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: What kinds of glue?

I used to use CA's for my building but about 8 years ago I switched to Elmer's Carpenter's Glue, and I won't go back to the CA's. I feel that my building has improved since I've switched because I have more time to get a joint positioned correctly before the glue sets and you don't get those hard knots in the wood that are impossible to sand. Also I didn't like the reaction my body has to the CA fumes. Many call it a CA allergy, but after I've talked to a few doctors and a couple of chemists I find that it's not an allergy but a simple chemical reaction in your body. The CA fumes react with the moisture in your nose, throat, and lungs to produce some very bad reactions. Over time these reactions can become worse with repeated exposure. I've seen people that can hardly breath for 3 days after using it. I wanted to avoid that from happening before it got to that point. So..... here's what I use for my building.
[ul][*] Elmer's Carpenter's Glue - This is my main adhesive. I use it for the majority of building with balsa and wood to wood contact. For ply's and harder woods I will use epoxy[*] 5 minute epoxy - I do have this around but I very rarerly use it. I will usually use 30 minute, but I have the 5 minute around for quick uses that aren't in critical areas of the plane.[*] 30 minute epoxy - I use this for critical stress areas on the plane such as wing joints, firewall attachments, horizontal and vertical stabilizer, securing hinge points, and other high stress critical areas.[*] CA's - Yes, I know I said I didn't use these but that's not entirely true. I still use them for a couple of things. I keep thin CA around for hardening threads cut into wood for such things as wing bolts. I may also use it to help hold large constructions together while the Elmer's sets. I will put a couple of small drops on the wood to hold it all together while the wood glue dries. I also do reviews for RCU and I use the proper thickness CA adhesive that is called for in the instructions. I do this because we try to do review planes as the instructions call for. I do have medium and thick CA around but don't use them much. Especially the thick, too many people try to use thick CA to fill up gaps in wood joints but this can be bad, it can lead to a false sense of security because the joint will be weak. Nothing beats wood to wood contact in a joint.[*] Formula 560 - This is a canopy adhesive and that's exactly what I use it for, for attaching the canopy to the fuselage[*] Gorilla Glue - I don't use this glue too much because of the way it expands while setting up. This can be bad if you don't have the area secured properly because it can push the parts out of position before it dries. But I've found that it does have several really good uses, one especially good is if you have areas that need to be filled and secured. You can apply the glue and a little water and the glue will expand out into the area you want to fill.[*] Thread locks - Self-explanatory. I use thread lock to keep nuts and screws in place. Always use blue thread lock so you can remove the nut or screw later. Never ever use red thread lock because it's permenant, you won't get your nut or screw off ever again.[*] 3M 77 spray adhesive - This is some great stuff that has lots of uses in our hobby. One that comes to mind right off the bat is when doing cockpits. You can use this spray adhesive to hold items like printed instrument panels in place.
[/ul]
Well, that's about all I can think of right now.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i do woodworking as a hobby and built my second plane with ca then tried titebond just for giggles and liked building with it better.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
lukeshort

At last count I was shocked to find I had 26 different adhesives and sealers in my glue box. Didn't throw any out as they all have their own specific purpose. When I have thrown out an old one in the pastI usually replaced it with fresh.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me that CA makes the wood around the joint brittle, the fumes really bother me, I seem to make alot of mistakes because of the instant set time, but other than that its great. I also recommend elmer's wood glue, its much easier to use and seams to hold better. I still use CA but not nearly as much as I used to. Gorilla Glue has kind of replace epoxy in my builds, but mainly because its easier to use. Remember parts have to be held firmly together when Gorilla Glue is used.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
flyinsolo11

Thanks Ken and Carlo and Jeff- There is so much out there, I just kinda wanted a list of what is good, and what is crap.

I will be building a Sig Komander as a first time build(obviously) and am quite green.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Mode One

I use all the glues I have, CAs, epoxies, Gorilla type, R/C56, plastic tube and bottle glues on plastic parts and carpenter's glue etc. I think I build as well as anyone builds and I use CA quite a lot. However, many people react to CA. I don't, or haven't so far. If it ever does happen, I will be just fine with using carpenters or other types of glues/adhesives. Mostly I use the thick CAs, I love how they work. The secret to using thin CAs is to have the parts positioned where the need to be stuck together, previous to application. Using thin CA to harden wood at locations where this is needed is an excellent reason for its' use.

It is really a personal choice and experience will help you decide. The honest truth is I'm tickled pink you are interested in building!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 PM
carlosponti

ORIGINAL: flyinsolo11

Thanks Ken and Carlo and Jeff- There is so much out there, I just kinda wanted a list of what is good, and what is crap.

I will be building a Sig Komander as a first time build(obviously) and am quite green.

Thanks again for the help!
I am quite green with envy! My second airplane was a Kommander. I absolutely loved it.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
flyinsolo11

Hey mode- thanks for your input. I just love building and when I get settled into a career, I am definitely building a kit plane for myself like an RV-4. I like to build- the plane or heli just means that much more to you when your two hands crafted it. I think I am more ambitious than people my age though...

Haha, sorry carlos. This probably wont make you feel any better, but I got the kit for......FREE.... lol. A lot of people wish that SIG hadn't discontinued the Komander- everyone says it is an excellent bird.

I will probably begin the build this weekend- so excited!

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
carlosponti

FREE!!! YOU JERK ... joking. yeah i loved mine it was already built when i bought mine and i modified the landing gear to be on the fuselage instead of the wings because its a high wing plane and the gear are really tall and are prone to having them pull out on just slightly rough landings. i was looking for one eventually to build but they go for 300 on ebay. with the gear mounted on the fuse it looks like a kavalier but with better airfoil. the airfoil is what made that plane so awesome. it was so fast and just went where you put it. stalled engine landings were fun i would have it up high and glide at 50 mph down to a landing lol.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:51 PM
flyinsolo11

Sounds like you had some serious fun with yours. I am looking forward to getting this bird in the air. I am a rc heli pilot and had the urge to build a plane the other day. So I got this, and figured I would build it and then sell it as an ARF. Some guys say that when you build it, you grow too attached to it to sell it. We'll see though, lol.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

E6000 is handy at times.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 PM
flyinsolo11

E6000 is handy for what?

Also, what would you guys recommend for gluing a sheet of balsa to a foam core? The instructions say that some glues will actually eat away the foam.

I bought Titebond II premium wood glue- is this okay to use?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I mostly use CA for framing on balsa structures. Wings, fuse, tail -- it's all done with thin CA. I sand and shape my parts ahead of time and do a dry fit on every single part. Make sure it fits tight and then put it into place. A single drop of thin CA is usually all it takes on 1/4" pieces or wing ribs.

If you make tight joints and don't get sloppy--CA works REALLY good. Not much sanding.

I use 30 minute epoxy for firewalls, motor boxes, wing joints, vertical or horizontal stabilizers and landing gear mounts.

I use gorilla glue on foam sheeted items. I use a VERY thin coating of it and usually end up scraping off more than was initially applied. You just want a wet look to the parts. Not sloppy. Scrape off excess with a credit card--preferably the one your wife uses for shoes.

I've never used any wood or carpenters glue. I don't have the patience to sit around and watch glue dry. I get my parts ready to go and make sure they fit. When I get the CA out--it's all done in about 15 minutes. I'll spend 4hrs setting up a wing on my jig. I don't glue a thing. Put the spars into the ribs. Put all the shear webs in between the spars. Sand parts to fit. Make adjustments. Get it all "snapped" together on the jig. Use a few rubberbands to hold the trailing edge and leading edges in place. Open the bottle and go to town. 15 minutes later, I got a completely framed wing. Nuthin' to it.