Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What are the rookie mistakes?!?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What are the rookie mistakes?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are the rookie mistakes?!?

Not leaving a little blood in every plane that I build, they tends to have a short life without that bonding agent.

Forgetting that Monocote and Ultracote are applied at different temps on my covering iron. Ultracote tends to melt quickly at the Monocote temps.

Forgetting to fuel proof the firewall.

On my first Q-500, I didn't glass the center of the wing - needless to say - a foam wing with only epoxy will fold in a hard turn

Forgetting to tighten the wing bolts before the first flight - got that one down, but the wing was flapping all the way.

Bring the plane to the field, forgot the radio

Just a few rookie mistakes.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At one time or the other I think I have covered about everything I have read here so far and have the scars to prove it *L*, but heres a couple I have done thats is not on the list. I like CA hindges and use them for the smaller planes 60 and below sizes. Thats the last thing I glue in ,I try honest I really do try to keep a new tip or 1/2 oz bottle of thin CA around just for this ,but theres times things just don't work out that way, so you trim the tip down the best ya can and go for it. Now ya have a hole thats about 5 times larger than it needs to be and you need 2-3 drops of glue and of course the lights all wrong and you can't tell if theres any coming out or not untill its running down the side of your brand new covering job ,your hand and anything else it can find.
Another one is I have my building sweats I should say building rags now, cause there getting pretty bad from glue and so forth, CA and fabric really like each other ya know, makes it as hard as granite and I don't particular like it rubbbing against my thigh with movment, so I pick it off and of course it leaves a hole, Which is ok untill you wipe off a hot sealing iron on your sweats to get rid of some color residue and come accross the hole , More scars Sighs !!!!!
This one's sort of been hit on but don't use a old ashtray or plate to hold your soldering iron, they fall out almost everytime and burns nice modern arts sceens in the carpet, and again this usually happens when the carpet is less than 6 mo. old.
Heres another I thought of, grab the wrong piece of wood and whack it up to make something only to find out later the piece you really needed was 2 inches shorter and won't work for the one you cut up, so its down to the LHS again. Cut something off three times and its still to short.

So far I have not had the urge to glue my ear shut, but I am limited on imagination at times, but I think I will pass on that one at this time, other than that and the sweater I think I have covered all the bases.
Hey allot of stuff can happen over the course of 40 yrs of building *LOL*
Old 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
r2champion

I hope that there isn't a dad out there interested in buying his kid a kit and happens to stumble upon this thread! Picturing the poor kid with his ear glued shut, missing bits of flesh, balsa sheeting hanging from his fingers, and holes in thier new carpet. I don't think the kid would stand a chance to get his first kit!!!

Anyways, my biggest mistake was becoming dependent on using CA. It is some hard stuff to get away from but no more accidental "bondings". Switched primarily to wood glue [:-]. This was recommended by my wife who has helped me peel away my skin from various objects!

I built in left thrust instead of right thrust into a firewall. (took a lot of washers and spacers to fix)

Forgot to finish glueing the spars, ribs, and leading and trailing edges together on a wing half. I had them only tacked, found out real quick after removing from the building board and started sanding! (had to build that half twice)

Covered a hog bipe wing with blue on top, black on bottom instead of vise versa like the other wing I had just finished.

Rolled an exacto knife off the edge of the building board only to stick straight up into the top of my shoe through to my foot.

Many others!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: r2champion
I hope that there isn't a dad out there interested in buying his kid a kit and happens to stumble upon this thread! Picturing the poor kid with his ear glued shut, missing bits of flesh, balsa sheeting hanging from his fingers, and holes in thier new carpet.
But is the kid smiling?

somegeek
Old 03-05-2008, 11:04 AM
r2champion

ORIGINAL: somegeek

ORIGINAL: r2champion
I hope that there isn't a dad out there interested in buying his kid a kit and happens to stumble upon this thread! Picturing the poor kid with his ear glued shut, missing bits of flesh, balsa sheeting hanging from his fingers, and holes in thier new carpet.
But is the kid smiling?

somegeek
I would be if it were me!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

... I like CA hindges and use them for the smaller planes 60 and below sizes. Thats the last thing I glue in ,I try honest I really do try to keep a new tip or 1/2 oz bottle of thin CA around just for this ,but theres times things just don't work out that way, so you trim the tip down the best ya can and go for it. Now ya have a hole thats about 5 times larger than it needs to be and you need 2-3 drops of glue and of course the lights all wrong and you can't tell if theres any coming out or not untill its running down the side of your brand new covering job ,your hand and anything else it can find.
Hey Cyberwolf, if you remove your CA bottle's tip and soak it in Acetone overnight, you're left with a brand new tip for your next CA gluing session. No more cutting down tips to remove that "clog". This works like a charm. I keep a few unused tips (no hole in the top), to completely seal the bottle when not in use.

My latest "rookie" move was captured in my Hog Bipe build thread for all to see ... I epoxied the Interplane Struts to the wrong side of the bottom wing - DOH! [:@]

-MA
Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
djr1007

Cap on the CA bottle was stuck, used my teeth to hold it while twisting the bottle. Unfortunately it worked. I almost NEVER use CA any more.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of all the above but the one that was the big silly was mixing up A large cup of epoxy and holding it in my hand while I bent over to check out the items getting glued and forgetting the cup I was holding. While tipping it over I managed to get it down my front, all over the carpet and all over the frame of the plane I was working on, the plans and my building board.
Did I mantion it was A large cup of the stuff!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
jonathanhly

well, i am a kid (15 and 7 months), and i started this page. If anything i hope it would cause a father to suppurvise or maybe even help the building process. I have building in our guest house, away from my parents so they dont know about any of the stupid mistakes ive made, but it would be nice to have my fathers help.
well thats just my two cents
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never realized that the inside of my ear was covered with THOUSANDS of little bitty tiny hairs .

until I squirted a teaspoon of thin CA into my ear. I picked at it for awhile--then just gave up. Couldn't take the pain. Sissy. I just let it wear off , over the course of about 20 showers.

I'll never understand how women can wax their body parts. Pullin' hairs out by the root HURTS!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:40 PM
prgonzalez

I cut the tip of my finger once [&:]...now, I make sure my fingers are over the straight edge and not in the way of the knife.

Glued my fingers to paper towel, it burns too.

I now have a safe place where to put the CA bottles. One time, I CA'ed a bunch of tools to the building board.

Recently, I was doing lateral balance on my new building. I had it perfect. When I was releasing the motor from the string, the tail got loose from the other string and the rudder hit the floor of the garage from 4 feet height. [:@] I had to build a new rudder. I was lucky the hinges were not glued yet.

Melted monokote in wing with Soldering iron. I now plan the use of the iron and put it away when I finish.

Waisted monokote using cutting templates. After cutting the monokote and putting it over the plane, I realized the template was used at the wrong side of the monokote.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I think the biggest Rookie mistake and seasoned vets , getting in a hurry . Bite ya every time .
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM
SeamusG

Filling bench dents with filler until I realized that water / ammonia solution does a great job popping these things out like new.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
SeamusG

Oh yea - letting new build in pre-covering assembly stage roll off the end of the table to nose-plant on the concrete floor. At least the glass-bead motor mounts broke easily!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Cyberwolf

Thanks I was aware of this, along with trim solvent and laquer thinner, thinks the trim solvent works the best but as a rule I don't have a open bottle around for to long except when I get the larger bottles and refill the 2 oz bottles.
I forgot this mistake This is a scratch built Ultra sport 60 from plans, I started it right before GP released the kits again just my luck *L* Anyway most planes the head rest goes inline with the former where the wing plate sits, not so with the U.S. and I was not thinking at the time and just went ahead and glued the head rest in place directly over it and sheeted the turtle deck .Things was just a moving along here untill I went to add the wood to the front of the canopy opening .Hey who cut off my tape measure I was 2 1/2 inches short. So after doing a little head banging I decided to leave it alone and this is what I come up with. Now be honest How many times can one make a 2 1/2 inch mistake and come out smelling like a rose. I like it better than the original myself, take a look and see what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82041.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	895844  
Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

If a person has done many of these errors, does that make said person "experienced", or just a goof-ball? (Of course I will never admit to how many I have personally experienced)

Signed,
Goof-ball [&:]
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Temporarily removing a receiver to get at the battery, I picked up a hemostat to grab onto the antenna with to pull it into the fuselage. But it wasn't a hemostat, it was scissors. Easily soldered, though. Years ago, I set a model on fire while using a torch to solder the cabane struts. No serious damage there, either.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I used 5 Min. epoxy while trying to join the wing halves of my Kyosho Kelly F-1 racer together. I got them together but had to push so hard on the wing halves i was sure they would break. I;ve glued my fingers to lots of stuff and sliced open my thumb several times. What can i say i'm clumsy!!!

Geoff
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: sscherin

First time around with my Stick I covered the Ailerons backwards.. seams opening to the front..
After a few months flying one side opened up in flight into a drag brake..

Set the hot iron on my wifes new table cloth..

Pinned a spar to the wing plans and spit it right down the middle. (Hard balsa)

Sealed up the cowl area.. Hmm no fuel tank..

Wicked thin CA through a 1/4" stab and glued my fingers to the other side.

build the fuse upside down and find out after the firewall is in you added right not left thrust.
Is right thrust wrong????? I always add right thrust to compensate for left torque
Old 03-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Cyberwolf

Right thrust while upside down leads to left thrust while right side up and can make a puppy plane , loves to chase its tail while on taxi !!!!!!!!!!!!!

build the fuse upside down and find out after the firewall is in you added right not left thrust.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:29 PM
ktaylor

Lets see, lots of cuts with xacto knives. Ruined quite a few pairs of blue jeans with epoxy, (I thought that would come out in the washer), burned a hole in the carpet, glued various plane parts to the carpet, ruined the kitchen table with CA,,,,

THis one was the best though. I had a brand new brushless motor, a big one, so I used larger than normal bullet connectors on the wires. WIth the amount of solder and heat required the solder stayed molten for a bit afterwards. Solution, hold it up to my lips and blow on it. Well, I got a little too close and managed to put the bullet connector against my lips. I had a huge blister on my bottom lip for the next week. Hurt like h*ll forever, but seems kind of funny now. I ended up with the nickname,blisters because of my prowess at soldering.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:39 AM
JamesDL

Ok... I am doing what I told myself not to do, which is work on my model past my bedtime...

I just glued the motor mount and secured the motor assembly to the AFT end of my BLT...

Time for bed...

James
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
F-16WpnsTech

Not carrying club members chilled beverages, between flights, while at the field.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I still have a white scar on the tip of my right middle finger due to cutting blue foam like that. I was using a utility knife with carpet blades. It took over a year for that one to heal and stop being so freaking sensitive to contact.........
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
homeboy61

Glued my dog my cat my kids hamster and both nieghbors kids to the second left fuse I built buy mistake olny because I discovered that the elevator was on upside down and firwall was in backwards and I had used lazer cut parts from three different kits!! ya know the damn neighbors never have gotton over that little mistake!
Nobodys perfect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.