Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1970's scale kits

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1970's scale kits

Old 04-23-2003, 09:24 PM
JRW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970's scale kits

Hi All,

I've come across two 1970's era kits. One is a B24D and one is P-38, both are "Royal" kits I believe. Does anyone have any information about these kit (good/bad)?

Thanks,
Jim Woodward
Old 04-23-2003, 09:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great kits. Royal now is sold I think by hobby barn or hobby shack as Martuka or something like that. They are expensive kits but great kits.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:59 PM
wfortney99
My Feedback: (310)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Royal kits

I did not know Royal imported a B24D. Did you mean teh B25 ?

Anyway the P-38 is a well designed kit that ccan fly on one engine. But as with all Royal kits, it is a builders kit. However all that work was well worth it.

Royal kits were produced in Japan by Marutaka. FLYBOY is correct the current importer is Hobby Barn. Check them out at hobbybarn.com
Old 04-24-2003, 12:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great kits, but you can plan on building it as if you were doing it from scratch. If you're not familliar with the erm "builders kit", you will be by the time you're finished. LOL

A "Builders Kit" means you get a lot of wood (some of it is even cut out for you), a set of plans, and a few pieces of paper (that I won't even call an instruction manual) with instructions like:

Step 1. Build the right wing

Step 2. Build the left wing

Get the idea?

If you like a good building challange, they will produce an excellent airplane.
But if you're not someone that enjoys cutting, sanding, and making most of the construction decisions, they can be a nightmare.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 PM
wfortney99
My Feedback: (310)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Builder kits

Yes Mike you captured it well. With a Royal Kit you get alot of balsa/ply you glue together, THEN carve, plane and sand the mass of wood until it resembles the picture on the box ! whew ....lots of balsa dust !

BIll