Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

another sad day for kitbuilding.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

another sad day for kitbuilding.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 PM
housedad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another sad day for kitbuilding.

Tower now has the Goldberg protege 60 kit listed as discontinued.

The Lanier kits will soon be a thing of the past.

Very soon, the only .60 or larger trainer kit from Tower (read the Hobbico Conglomerate) will be the PT-60,
Very soon, the only .10 and larger sport kits from Tower will be the SIG four-star 120.

I can only wonder what Hobbico is planning after all the acquisitions it has made.

Will Hobbico bring back the kits after re-tooling in Illinois? Or were the aquisitions merely to eliminate some mainstream competition to make way for more lucrative ARF's, and the kits are never to be seen again? I hope they do come back.

I wonder if and when they will go after SIG?

Also, with the dollar getting as weak as it is, all I see is that the prices for ARF's are going to go up and up and up, and more and more are going to be priced out of reach. Same with the electronics and accessories as less and less people are involved due to rising costs.

This entire scenario is giving me some pretty bad feelings for the industry in general for the near future.

Just my rambling thoughts.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 PM
pub

Default RE: another sad day for kitbuilding.

With those thoughts,we need to buy a lot of balsa,and plans,plus #11 blades. pub
Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 PM
JamesDL

So the demand for scroll saws and miters might be going up soon... I'm not even done with my first kit yet (GP PT-40), but I've been scoping out my next project and I think I'm ready to just get some sweet plans and cut my own parts... The selection of kits is certainly dwindling pretty fast.

Although, I think I want to build the SIG 4 star 60 or 120 next, then a Spacewalker.

James
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of those Lanier kits sucked anyhow. No big loss in the big picture.
Golberg is a diffrent story.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to draw, paste, and cut wood!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember when many kits were just a box of wood with plans and few, if any, precut parts? Then Sig made a giant leap forward by printing on the sheet balsa so you didn't have to transfer the shape from the plans to the wood.

There are plenty of radio systems, propulsion systems and lots of materials available from which to build models, even if it isn't balsa. Not to worry.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Maybe this will "kick start" the idea of getting back to building from plans and making your own kit parts prior to construction. Always an enjoyable experience to see that aircraft rise off the ground on its initial flight and know I cut the parts and built the plane myself. Try it!!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 AM
saramos

Hopefully, it'll give a boost to kit cutters.

Scott
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

there will always be scratch building
Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have A closet full of plans I haven't built yet. Making your own kit is very easy, not to worry.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree, built more than one plane from scrach.
its not warbirds but its satisfying the RC addiction.
as long as there are motors and radio systems we are good.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
carlosponti

i started with arfs then after rebuilding one i decided i wanted to build a kit and after a couple of kits now i am gearing up for my first scratch build. i think if i cant find kits i will buy a rcm plan or two and get cracking. i want an authentic ultrasport one day so i may go that route.

building one of these http://montanamodelworks.com/index_031.htm
and one of these first http://montanamodelworks.com/index_027.htm

met the guy who makes the plans at a swap meet and saw the airframes they looked neat.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
housedad

Yes, there is always an itch to scratch build

Even so, The kit is the way a heck of a lot of people learn about building and go on to scratch. I would love to start a scratch build, and I will by the end of this year, but it had been so long since I had built anything, 23+ years, that the kit provided a easier way to learn the old and NEW techniques.

I guess it does allow the smaller providers a nich to fill.

It seems hard for me to think that Top Flight and GP would stop kits, seing as they do generate revenue, but stranger things have happened.

Bion
Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: housedad

Even so, The kit is the way a heck of a lot of people learn about building and go on to scratch. I would love to start a scratch build, and I will by the end of this year, but it had been so long since I had built anything, 23+ years, that the kit provided a easier way to learn the old and NEW techniques.
Completely agree. If it weren't for kits, I would have never gotten the desire to scratch build - nor would I have had the skills to be sucessful. I'm one of those guys that loves the satisifaction of flying something I built, so the influx of ARF's isn't something that I see as a threat. If anything, my creations will be all the more unique at the field. That's not to say I don't enjoy ARFs - I do. After all I can't scratch/kit build all the time [8D].

-MA
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Alex7403

you know what you got me into this sadness of kit disappearance.
there is another way which is even better!!!!
Fiberglass and epoxy fuselage and foam balsa sheeted wing.

the biggest problem is lack of airfields to fly it, and i dont want to mention the big brother restrictions.... with the new GPS systems.
that maybe something to worry about....

hey a little bit of paranoia helps me to remain a free man.

Alex

Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Hotrcair

Soon all the sport kits for real building will be gone. Maybe it is time for us builders to go to Toledo and buy up what we cn afford.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:33 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Oh for the love of God, i hope not!!!! [>:]
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

These days we have Top Flite . Back in the day I loved Carl Goldberg kits. These days we have LOTS of plans available and a lot of custom kit cutters. There is a positive to this ARFs bring folks into the hobby that never would of considered building a kit .

Regarding the ever shrinking value of United States currency :how bad can it get??[&o]
Old 03-07-2008, 04:13 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Question for those that have been in this hobby for a long time(10+ years)... have you noticed if boards, such as RCU, have sparked new interest in kit building?

I started with a kit... finishing my 7th build now and ready to start my 8th... having RCU as a resource definitely helped make this happen.

somegeek
Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
ramcfarland

You know thats "good news" I'm doing the 07 errr 08 Stinson build simply to help those considering building a kit. It takes more time to build taking pictures and doing posts,however is worth the time an effort if it brings new builders on line[8D]
Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Couldn't agree more!

I've done a few build threads as well(Sig LT-40, Sig SE, Herr Pitts Special, Stryker and a number of other things). I like sharing the information with others to help and also get feedback from others with things I could be doing better or change. This site is what, six years old? That's a ton of info in the archives... heck of a resource.

I imagine a resource like RCU's message board community is indispensable to folks that don't have a club to go to or LHS to get help from but do want to get started in this hobby.

somgeeek
Old 03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tower now has the Goldberg protege 60 kit listed as discontinued.

The Lanier kits will soon be a thing of the past.

Very soon, the only .60 or larger trainer kit from Tower (read the Hobbico Conglomerate) will be the PT-60,
Very soon, the only .10 and larger sport kits from Tower will be the SIG four-star 120.

I can only wonder what Hobbico is planning after all the acquisitions it has made.

Will Hobbico bring back the kits after re-tooling in Illinois? Or were the aquisitions merely to eliminate some mainstream competition to make way for more lucrative ARF's, and the kits are never to be seen again? I hope they do come back.

Also, with the dollar getting as weak as it is, all I see is that the prices for ARF's are going to go up and up and up, and more and more are going to be priced out of reach. Same with the electronics and accessories as less and less people are involved due to rising costs.

This entire scenario is giving me some pretty bad feelings for the industry in general for the near future.

Just my rambling thoughts.
I hear what you’re saying. I couldn’t find the kit that I wanted as it was discontinued and decided to just buy a couple sets of plans and start making templates so I can make my own kits.

I found some thin aluminum sheet stock at Home Depot and I’m in the process of making the various templates/fixtures to knock out my favorite model any time I need one.

I’m slowly weaning myself off of the larger models and going back to 40-60 size. With a recession on the horizon I feel that I need to use what I’ve got and try and conserve my resources.

I don’t think it’s going to get any easier in the near future. Fuel is getting more expensive as are supplies. I’m going to “try” and make an effort to keep my money here in the USA by buying used when I can.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88809.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	897192  
Old 03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
ramcfarland

Go for it! Way back in 1985 I decieded I wanted to build a 70's vintage pattern airplane. Much to my surprise the kit was no longer available so I ordered plans from M.A.N. magazine and proceeded to cut out a kit .....and then build the plane.
Here is an picture and two paint jobs later its too heavy to perform but I still have it. Later built a CL-215 as from M.A.N. plans,a stinson SR-3 from Model Builder plans followed by a Stinson from RCM plans and sweet 33" P-40 also from their plans, that has been framed up and hanging around a while now in the shop and soon might get a 480 brush less.I must say some recient plans that I have bought seem best done by a lasor kit cutter-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79554.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	897225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75490.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	897226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95991.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	897227  
Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 PM
aerowoof

And I thought there was bad news here.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
timothy thompson

wingspanmodels.com you wont be disappointed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.