Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Deluxe - Modification

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Deluxe - Modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Jeep Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Tiger Deluxe - Modification

Just wondering if anyone that has built one of these kits has done any modifications and if so what.....things like flaps, taildragger, areas of structural weakness etc. I'm looking at purchasing one as my third model and wanted retracts and flaps. I'd be very interested in particular if anyone had modified one to include flaps. I've got a Futaba 7C 2.4 Ghz radio for the plane and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an OS powerplant........
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Deluxe - Modification

I believe the deluxe version has Robart retracts as part of the kit. As for changing the plane, not sure why you would want to. The Tigers are such sweet planes as they are. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I had gotten the JR TIGER as my second plane back in 1982. I like that plane so much, I got the larger one a few years later. After a mid air destroyed that one, I got another & I put flaps on it & WOW, what a differance. If I were to get another, flaps would be a definate addition to it. They made landings, take off, & just all around flying VERY fun. & made an already great plane, even better. Good luck with yours & you wont be sorry if you do add flaps. Bill
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Jeep Jockey

MILDBILL-RCU, as I'm fairly new to the hobby and only have 2 builds under my belt, can you give me some suggestions on how to tackle adding flaps.....I'm guessing that shortening the ailerons and converting them partly to flaps......2/3 ailerons and 1/3 flaps????

thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I forget the exact measurments, but that seams about right. 1/3, x 2/3. I had nyrods drive the alirons from a single servo & then a single servo at the rear for the flaps with the torque rods that were for the alirons.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Jeep Jockey

I must say, I'm suprised, I thought there would be alot of people with some input on this subject. Perhaps I missed something somewhere and it has already been discussed in another forum.

I'd really appreciate some other input....I'm trying to make a decision as to if the modifications I'd like to do are even feasible? I'd like the third kit I build to include both flaps and retracts......
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the deluxe comes with retracts for tricycle gear, it seems like a waste not to use the gear as designed & supplied. If you want a tail dragger, get the standard kit and modify it for tail dragger. These planes glide very well (read: float), so I am surprised flaps would be that big of a deal, as they are not needed for normal take-offs and landings. You could have some fun with flaps if you want to do some really slow fun-flying stuff, though. The rudder does not have much authority on these planes, so if you want to do knife-edge, you will want to enlarge the rudder. I have also read of people shortening the wings by one bay to increase the roll speed. I built a Tiger 2 as my first plane after my trainer, and got lots of use out of it. Very easy to fly. If I were to build another one, I would increase rudder area, nothing more. There are a few threads here on the Tigers, you can find out much more by doing some searches.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

I built a custom Tiger 60 with reduced dihedral and 58" wing. Inverted .61 and a custom cowl,l tail dragger The plane flies
very good but the weight of the tiger was around 7 1/2 Lbs. The vertical performace was lacking with the .61
it would not sustain knife edge and would fall out of inside loops. I retired the plane after about 75 flights.

Last week I acquired a 91 FX os engine. I spent all last night reinstalling servos and installing the .91
WOW what a difference. With a 14x8 prop and 15% fuel, I have unlimited verical, I can sustain knife edge
across the field. I can even do a knife edge loop (rudder is stock with MAX throw)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98971.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	900924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42006.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	900925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37841.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	900926  
Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, nice looking Tiger. I like the way the lines are with the engine inverted. Glad to hear the added power gave new spirit to your plane! [sm=thumbup.gif]

I had a TT 46 in my Tiger 2, and it pulled it nicely, but no way it would sustain KE, even at WOT.
The long fuse design on these make them very stable.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
overbored77

Pilgrim, thanks for the kind words. It took over 200 hours to build, it was my second kit.
I took 3rd place at my first pattern competition with it. When I got the .91 for 75 dollars
I ran home wondering what to put it in and the 60 was hanging on the wall.. I also have
a Tiger II you can see it in the back of the first picture That plane is a pretty much stock ARF
but it also has unlimited vertical and flies great with an OS .61.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Jeep Jockey

Overbored, Would you and anyone else recommend shortening the wing on a plane if I built one? I think by the look of your pictures that you did not use the trialngular stock on the wing tips? For looks or for function? I'm doing some research one this project before I make a decision to purchase the Tiger Deluxe. Do you think I could use the main landing gear as retractable and still build as a taildragger?

I'm new at this forum and I hope that the picture of my Tiger II comes in with this post...if not I'll try again..it has a OS 55 AX Max, and is built without any modifications.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53019.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	901265  
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
overbored77

Jeep,
A few reasons for my mods.

wing clip from full length to 58" with reduced dihedral, gives the plane a more crisp and more axial roll.
gives the feeling of a longer tail moment and reduces the balloning and floaty feel. I removed 2 bays on each
side. The wing tips were omitted for wieght savings.

Cowl and inverted engine just looks cooler. I guess it helps reduce drag

Dual elevator pushrods allows a more infinite range of adjsutment on the elevator halves and makes a more positive
control surface instead of a single pushrod with a wooden dowel between them.

Carbon control puhrods save weight.

There is another tiger 60 thread in the kit building forum that you might want to see I don't have a link
but it was started by KrossK.

My plane is not as forgiving as a standard tiger and has little self righting ability. It has to land hotter
and can be a handful if gets ahead of you. it was much easier to fly with the .61 as it was slower and
lethargic, but with the .91 it's downright awesome.

Found a link to the build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49..._2/key_/tm.htm