Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

kit to build 3rd plane

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

kit to build 3rd plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
rheauljj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kit to build 3rd plane

I'm looking for a kit to build. I've built several trainers...and recently built a BTE Venture 60.

I was thinking of trying my luck with one of the Balsa USA kits...Fokker E.III Eindecker 90. Looking for something more challenging but also fun. Don't need every piece cut for me as I have a decent shop with plenty of tools.

Anyone care to make a recommendation? Maybe a bi-plane?

Don't want an ARF...and not sure if I'm ready for a total scratch build.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:45 PM
flyreel

Default RE: kit to build 3rd plane

Balsa usa kits build good planes. But you will be cutting and sanding. If you want a bipe try Carl Goldbreg Ultamate. Berryville Va. I grow up in Harrisonburg
Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A great building biplane is the Sig Hog Bipe. It's a very well documented kit and high quality too. Plus, it's a fantastic flying plane too boot!!!! I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Ken
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

It depends on what you want from the airplane. Sig 4-40 is a easy to build sport plane the is a great 1st low wing plane. The Great Planes Piper Cub is nice if you are looking for something a little more scale. The Sig Profile Extra is an easy to build bipe that can go from mild to wild depending on the control throws. With the exception of "builders" kits such as hard core scale biplanes the main limits are your budget and your flying skills. Most recent kits from well known manufactures are doable if you have a little experience. Expanding your skills is part of the fun with this hobby. If you get into a bind, ask for help from someone who has also built the model. If you turn over enough rocks around here you can find somebody who has already been there done that.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 AM
asautt

I am building my first kit. CAP 232 .40E from Steven Aeromodel. It's been an enjoyable build so far. It will probably sit in the hanger for a bit until my piloting skills are up for it. Look over Stevens and Mountain Models to see if anything strikes your fancy.

Alan