Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! first covering job!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

HELP!!! first covering job!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:41 PM
jonathanhly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! first covering job!

Im nearly completed a Great planes Rv-4 .40 size kit, the building has gone well, so im now thinking about covering.
Is it easier to cover the fuselage, stab and fin before you glue them to the fusealage. I know that this is how ARFs are covered and they always turn out loooking great. Do must people not do this because of more seams or what? also is it easier to paint ABS plastic wingtips when there on the plane or off. If there glued on how do you stop the covering? you cantwrap it around the tip like you normaly would, so do you just stop it right befrore the plastic. And finally do you have to use lustrekote primer first, than the color you want, and then clear?
Thx for the help
jon
Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! first covering job!

Pick up a copy of the Higley book There are No secrets, Helped me a bunch as to what is easiest and best in just about every application.

As to your question

You can do the stabs either way cover first then install or install then cover. The second option just makes it harder to get the fuselage right if you're trying to do it in one piece.

Paint them off the plane, prime, color, clear.

I have done both, covered the tip and cut the plastic of at the tip, just depends onwhat you want. The uncoverd tip works best if the tip sticks out over the wood structure of the wing.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can cover first, then assemble, but I prefer to assemble first, then cover (But, do not hinge the rudder, elevators and ailerons until everything is covered)

The trick is to lay 3/8" wide strips to all of the corners (Like where the elevator meets the fuse) before covering.

The reason I like to cover last is this - Think of how the joint between the fin and fuse looks when you cover first. You can see where the fin is going into the fuse. If you cover AFTER they are assembled, that joint can be filled with wood filler and sanded. Now all you see is a covering seam which is almost invisible.

For ABS wingtips, sand, prime and paint them first. Cover the wing, and cover the wingtip as usual, you just don't have to cover the entire end cap.

Now punch a bazillion holes in the covering right at the last rib to give the glue something to grab on to, and glue the tips on.

I have an article that shows how to cover a wing that shows the 3/8" Strips and how they are applied. Give it a look, it has helped many people:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726]Covering Videos[/link]
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And go down A couple of posts to the Super Hots build. He shows how he does what I call the fillets before he starts the main covering.
I like to hinge first then cover but I do it in one piece so it fills in the hinge gaps. Nothing special, just how I started doing it and I have stuck with it over the years.
Minns video is A very good one and A lot of help for the new builders.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:04 PM
moki man
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to second the major's recomendations, get yourself a copy of these two Harry Higley's books and you will learn a ton about covering 1. " THERE ARE NO SECRETS " 2. " TOM'S TECHNIQUES they are the best publications out there on the subject of iron on covering's....Moki Man
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon

How'd the covering turn out?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:28 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Lustrekote, you definitely need to use the primer before the color to make the color look right. As far as clear is concerned, when I've used Lustrekote, it has been perfectly fuelproof and has not needed a clear coat.