Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Matching paint for Ultracote?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Matching paint for Ultracote?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 07:07 AM
MiL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching paint for Ultracote?

I need to find some paint to match Ultracote True Red, Corsair Blue, and white. Matching the white shouldn't prove difficult, and i found some Lustrekote colors that are close the red and blue i need, but not exact. My LHS had some paint that was made to match Ultracote, but they only had like 2 colors and said they couldn't get more.

Anybody know where it's available?
Old 03-09-2002, 04:37 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Try this:

http://www.perfectpaint.com/ultramono.html
Old 03-11-2002, 04:08 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the perfectpaint on the cowl for my edge. The white and yellow and very good matches but the blue isn't as deep a color. If you want a perfect match you have to go to an automotive paint store and they will match the color of a sample of covering that you bring them. It's a little more money though........ :P

Bob
Old 03-11-2002, 08:05 AM
MiL

do you then just cover the auto paint with a fuelproof clearcote?
Old 03-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with that Perfect Paint, the True Red doesn't match Ultracote True red very well at all. Have a look:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5616_1902.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	3951  
Old 03-13-2002, 03:30 PM
RLDIII

As the above posts point out, Perfect Paint does make matching paint for most of the Ultracoat colors. With that said, I learned long ago (after some dissapointments) that I usually got a MUCH better color match with the covering if I used a light colored (preferably white) primer under the color coat of the paint...

Lee
Old 03-13-2002, 09:55 PM
MiL

Richard, did you use a light primer under the red on your cowling? The reason i ask is that i need to paint mine almost exactly like yours, same colors even. If you did not use a white primer layer first, then that would probably mean that if i did i could probably get the red light enough to match the ultracote.

thanks
Old 03-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Mendes

The primer that I use is light grey in color, this is probably the worst match I have ever had. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch of paint or not but I plan on eventually stripping the cowl and repainting. You should do a test first to see how yours comes out. I should also mention that I did not use the spray can version of Perfect Paint, but instead bought the small can that can be brushed on, I thinned it with varsol and used an airbrush to spray it on.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:22 AM
RICEC5

I just received the Deep Blue Perfect Paint from Tower Hobbies that is advertised to match the Ultrcote color for my H9 Cap 232. My ARF cowl paint match was way off.. I placed a drop of paint on the ultracote and after drying it was not a perfect match....just close. Having experience with painting full size cars, etc, I can get closer by adding a bit of black. No local shops carry this line, so I will have to go back to Tower. A paint supply shop can get closer, but the cost will be higher than futzing around with a couple of extra cans of "mixing" colors of the brand you are using and the poly-u's they use in automotive are typically two part isos that are real nasty to use and require special reducers.

Joe
Old 03-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Tiger
My Feedback: (7)

I just painted a plane with True Red, and found that the paint sprayed straight from the can was a very close match, however, when I applied some from an air brush (Detail work) the color came out MUCH darker. Not sure why this is, but the paint came from the same can.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:57 PM
Dan Matheson
My Feedback: (20)

I too am having a problem matching Ultra Cote covering. In this case it is Dark Yellow. I have a Sig Cap 231ex and the Cowl and Fairing are painted to match the covering. Well, it's kinda close, but no cigar! It's got a orange cast to it and I want to repaint with Ultrapaint. No one has it and can't get it either. I was told by a dealer to go to a auto paint supply store with a piece of covering and they will mix it to match and put it in a spray can to boot! I haven't tried this yet. Anyone out there tried this and if so, what were the results?
Old 04-03-2002, 10:44 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I believe Radio South has them!

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

Daniel D.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:09 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Default Pearls and Metallics ?

Has anyone tried matching the pearls and metallics with auto paints ?

Also, has anyone tried covering an ABS cowling with Ultracote ? I saw an article where Faye Stylle ( you know, the Monokote guy) covered a fibreglass cowl with Monokote. I thought it might work if you're very careful with the temp. I'm probably going to give it a try myself.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:22 PM
Mendes

I wouldn't attempt covering an ABS cowl, not only are you risking melting the cowl but you will also end up with lots of bubbles. I have used Ultracote as trim on a cowl with no problem, but it was only a small piece and didn't require any shrinking.

Matching paint to the pearl Ultracote colors is a real pain, I stopped using these colors all together just because of it. You will only get close if you get a custom batch of paint made, and even then it will be slightly off.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:31 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Try Nelson Hobby paint, we can match any color except pearls, mettalics, and fluorescent.

--Paul
Old 04-10-2002, 10:57 PM
RICEC5

I finally matched the blue on my H9 Cap by mixing the Chevron Deep Blue and Midnight blue. It is perfection...... for $18 dollars worth of paint..... I guess I will use some Ultrcote deep blue covering on my next kit project...

Joe
Old 04-11-2002, 05:26 AM
jtiller
My Feedback: (21)

I think part of your problem with the Ultracote red is that the covering and the paint are translucent. You are seeing light reflected from the covering as well as some reflected from the undercoat. To prove it, iron a couple of scraps of red over other colors and you will see a visible difference. To get a good paint match from Cheveron or Ultrapaint, you will need the same color under both.

If your covering is over bare balsa and the cowling has a white undercoat they will not exactly match. I've used a couple of coats of Sig's sanding sealer on the balsa under translucent colors, it has a white base.

Yellow and orange have the same properties.