Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

tricycle landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

tricycle landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 02:38 AM
klgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tricycle landing gear

Hi

I'm about to complete my first rc plane built from a kit.

My question is the location of the main landing gear for tricycle. The norm is to fix it about 1.5" behind the CG point. However, due to some constraints, I need to shift it slightly back. I'm thinking of mounting the gear on the fuselage, at the trailing end of the wing!

How would this affect the taking off and landing of the plane?

Anyone has any experience on this matter?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:58 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

klgan:

You can get away with putting the mains at or near the TE of the wing if you have the airplane sitting somewhat nose up when on its wheels.

The nasty is landing. It will tend to land on the nose wheel first, if the wheel isn't aligned with the flight path it will try to move the nose sideways, trip the plane, and you end up with a pile of trash that was an airplane shortly before.

I try to have about 15% of the plane's weight on the nose wheel, that way I can have the plane a degree or so nose down on its wheels, helping ground handling, and still not requring too much elevator down force to rotate on take off.

Simple test. Push the tail down to touch the ground. If the nose wheel slams down when you let go the mains are too far back. This is with an empty fuel tank, of course. Ideally, when you let go it will pause momentarily, then gently fall back onto the nose wheel.

Some planes, a scale F7F, for example, will sit with the tail on the ground when the tanks are empty.

Hope this helps.

Bill.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:19 AM
klgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi Bill

Thanks for the tips!

I think I settle for tail dragger instead to avoid the unnecessary conditions.