Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

hard balsa?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

hard balsa?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 PM
mesaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard balsa?

The instructions for the kit I am building say "of the 3/32" x 3" x 36" balsa sheets with this kit, one of them is hard and the rest are soft." There are seven sheets, and I can't tell the difference. Should it be obvious? Is it possible that I did not get the hard sheet? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: hard balsa?

Couple of things you can check.

Hard balsa is USUALLY heavier than softer balsa. Weigh the various sheets...if one is the heaviest by a margin, that's probably it.

It's also...forgive the 'well duh'...harder. You can take your fingernail and sort of push it into the wood a bit...you'll feel a pretty notable difference between quality softer balsa and "hard" balsa.

Finally, there's usually some difference in the grain. You can find some good info, discussion of the various types, and images/drawings of grain types at:

http://www.skyhooks.ca/balsa.htm

========================

If you wind up not being able to distinguish the "one piece" of hard balsa, what's most likely (sad, but true) is that you aren't missing the hard balsa piece...but rather you have several. *heh* Since heavier, poorer grade balsa also happens to frequently be "harder", it's not a big surprise if you find several pieces that have the same density/weight as the specified piece of "hard balsa".

Hope some of this helps!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:51 PM
mesaflyer

Default RE: hard balsa?

gboulton,
Thanks for the info. I had tried the (I cracked up at this part) "well duh" thumb nail, and even cut them with a razor. I finally came up with 5 pieces that were "harder" than the other 4. Out if those 5, one was a tiny bit thicker, so I went with it. It was cut up to make the shear webs for the wing. Looks good to me! Thanks again.