Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balsa USA Citabria Pro 2008 build

First post of a new thread, where do you start?

My kit: β€œBalsa USA” Citabria Pro was purchased Feb. 2008.

I’ll be building this one in a semi scale manner, meaning I will try to make the airplane look somewhat real along with some scale detail. However, the color scheme will be my own and not that of the full scale.

My flying intent will be sport/aerobatics flying. I’ll use it to practice the IMAC basic routine and maybe even try a contest with it. Assuming that I can pull that off then maybe I’ll move on to the sportsman routine. But, Hey, First, I have to build it.

Power for this one is going to be a NIB (1990 version) Super Tigre S90K. Covering will be colored SolarTex. For the painted surfaces I am seriously considering using latex house paint and sealing the entire plane with water based polyurethane. That is a whole new process for me. I’ll do a little bit of kit bashing along the way, which I’ll highlight in this thread as I get there.

I would like to invite anyone that has built, is building, or going to build one of these to jump on in with some post. Would love to see pictures posted of your β€œPro’s” finished or in the building process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95034.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	938257  
    Rick, AMA 115812-WACO Brotherhood #75
    To discover something better....You must be willing to try something different

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Balsa USA Citabria Pro 2008 build

I started out with the Motor Mount. This way I can get the firewall drilled and have it ready when the fuselage goes together.

Having access to a CAD program and a little mill time helps me add another dimension to my building efforts. Question is will it pay off in the finished product?

Pictures 1 & 2Using a CAD program I found a way to rotate the engine and mounts so that I will not have to cut any holes in my cowling if I choose not to. By the way, 35Β° from inverted.

Picture 3I designed the engine mount with three separate sections (5 pieces) to allow me to make changes later on without having to remake everything. The center piece actually has the 1Β° down and 1 Β° right thrust machined into it. Later if I need to change thrust angles, I can remake this one piece and still maintain correct propeller and shaft location.

Pictures 4 -7β€”Finished results.

Name:	Pn36351.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	938268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16801.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	938269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej12108.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	938270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn33298.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	938271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al72742.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	938272  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ul80337.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	938273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xz53562.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	938274  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are a couple of different things I would like to get info on:

I am trying to find some pictures that show where the aluminum panels end and the fabric starts. Also would like to see rivet/screw detail for panels.

I’d like to ask anyone that has built and flown one of these β€œPro’s”, what you would do different if you had it to do all over again? Did you have to add much weight to get it balanced? What engine?

For aerobatic flying how did all the control throws work out? Just from looking at the plans, I am already planning on enlarging the rudder. From what I have found on the internet, this was common on the full scales as well.

Here’s a picture of a uncovered full scale Citabria rudder from the internet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Rick,
    That is a sweet mount! I've got a Pro I built several years ago that I'm bringing out of retirement. Originally I powered it with a well broken in (read that used) .90 FS. It was on the low side of the power required. I later installed an ASP 1.08 which was way more than enough for the way I like to fly but I really missed the FS sound. I hope to have it back in the air in the next few weeks with a pumped 1.20 OS. Its been in the hangar for 3 or 4 years so I'm going over everything.

what you would do different if you had it to do all over again?
    Glass and paint the belly pan. I covered mine in 21st Century fabric (red) and film (white). It has held up great except for the pan wrinkles.

Did you have to add much weight to get it balanced?
    With the .90 and the 1.08 I didn't have to add weight. I've not checked balance yet with the 1.20. She is a little portly at just under 12lbs. This is the old BUSA design though so I don't know what they've changed that could effect weight.

For aerobatic flying how did all the control throws work out?
    Rolls seem slow even at full over (scale like I guess). Inverted seemed to take alot of down input even though balance checked within range. Maybe a parasol design thing I don't know.

I'm looking forward to getting mine back in the air now that I'm flying some again. This was my first attempt at scale anything and I really like the looks of it in the air.

Good luck with yours.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love stuff made in metal and that motor mount is SICK!! [sm=thumbup.gif]
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been wanting to build one of these for some time now and I will be watching this thread with much interest. For me though, I think I'd like to do it as a first attempt at true scale. If and when I do buy the kit, I'll have to decide on power and maybe persuade you to machine me a mount also!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #81

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been working on drawing my new rudder tonight. Unfortunately I don’t have anything to show yet. Ran into my first scale dilemma[:@]. On the kit, the hinge lines for the rudder and the elevators are the same distance from the firewall. (41 11/16”). On the full scale β€œPro” and all the other Citabria’s for that matter the elevator hinge line is further forward than that of the rudder. On the kit the rudder trailing edge stops short in comparison to the elevator trailing edge. On the full scales it is just the opposite. Which was going to work out just fine since I had decided to increase the rudder size anyway. Now I am looking at moving the rudder and vertical stab back or moving the horizontal stab forward.

Thanks to all for the comments on the motor mount. (Kmot)[sm=thumbup.gif]

Dave (acemcduck) I do appreciate the heads up on balance and handling. That lets me know, if I don’t go nuts with something everything should work out. Your 120 ought to drag her around pretty well. Good luck with yours as well.

(TRJ1) This is my first attempt at doing something scale. I think this plane/kit lends itself well for getting some scale experience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I decided to add 1/2” to the rudder (front to back) . Pictures show the original and the new. Not a whole lot of difference. I am going to redesign the elevator/horizontal stab as well. The hinge line for the elevator will move forward about 1 inch. The counterbalance for the elevator will be enlarged as well to bring it more into scale. This will reduce the area of the stabilizer bringing it more into scale of the full size. It should help with aerobatics, albeit I will loose a little stability.

Name:	Tq48915.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	940588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83306.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	940589  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What type airfoil does this plane have? Is it symmetrical or cambered? This will effect the inverted flight quite a bit.
    \"Never be seen with an ugly airplane.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have run into more detail problems in the "scale" department. [:@] I realized that on the model, the horizontal-stab/elevator are positioned a too low on the airframe. To be scale, they need be about level with the top of the fuselage. So, I will try to move that as well.

I will post some pictures to illustrate. I’ll stick a couple of Citabria pics in for grins and looks.

The redesign of the tail feathers is about half done. But, I have to say, I thought I would be cutting and gluing balsa by now.

CrateCruncher,

The Balsa USA Citabria Pro has a true semi-symmetrical airfoil.

Name:	Hf10404.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	941737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52248.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	941738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tz67054.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	941739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ng99461.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	941740  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool project. One thing, water based polyurethane is NOT fuel proof, regardless of what you may have read. I had a real mess on my Skybolt using the stuff.
    Randy Rossmiller, member, Golden Triangle Flyers
    Theres no such thing as too much power. Member, Club Saito
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Limited amount of work done on the β€œPRO” this weekend. Saturday was all about yard work and Sunday was flying day. Almost pancaked the Smith Mini Plane after a low altitude stall turn. Key word here is almost.

Re-design work on tail feathers is done for the most part. I still have to work out the details on how it will mount to the airframe. Which will not be all that different than the original design.

As to house paint and water based polyurethane, it looks like I will have to build some sort of test piece to hang off an existing plane. This is the first I have heard that it is not fuel proof. I have some material (polyester) test that I wish to do anyway for a future project.

Hey Rick, I'm looking forward to watching your progress, I recieved one of these kits from the family this Christmas, and started building it a couple of months ago, I have just started to apply my covering today, got most of the tail feathers and all control surfaces done so far. I am using coverite 21st century fabric, and pretty much going with the design on the box, as I'm not feeling all that creative at the moment.

I had it all mocked up last weekend with all components installed except the covering, I was really trying to build as light as possible, but it still came in at 11.5lbs before covering, so Im estimating it to be about 12.5 lbs all done. It was quite nose heavy, I think in part due to the engine being a little large, I went with the SPE 26cc gasser which runs great and should, be a nice engine for this plane. I ended up installing the reciever battery about half way down the fuse and the ignition battery as far back in the fuse as I could this resulted in balancing perfect without adding any extra weight, hopefully the covering wont throw it off too much. I had the same problem as a lot of other builders on here with the incedence although I measured from the plans my wing appears to have about 1 or 2 degrees negative incedence, I'm going to put my incedence meter on it to check it once I find it, (Ijust moved recently and still cant find everything), even though the plans say not to, just to see what it says, I'll fly it as as is and make adjustments if needed as long as I dont slam it into the ground that is!! I'll send some pics on another post.
    Remember Taxiing always leads to flying!! & what goes up must come down.

some pics

Name:	Db84549.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	943767  

heres some more

Name:	Xv64585.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	629.7 KB 
ID:	943773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rn39162.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	566.2 KB 
ID:	943774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp34206.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	525.6 KB 
ID:	943775  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: splitzed

I had it all mocked up last weekend with all components installed except the covering, ....................

I'll send some pics on another post.
    splitzed,

Welcome, that sure looks like a clean build of the "PRO". If you get a chance post your progress in the finishing stages. I bet that SPE 26cc will stand her on the tail for a little while. I look forward to hearing about a successful maiden flight that required only a click of right trim [)] .

I like your idea of getting readings with your incidence meter. At least this way you will know where you started if you need to make adjustments.

If I can ever get going on actually building something, I plan to build my "Pro" so that I can easily adjust my wing incedence.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a summary on the changes I will make to the tail group.

Vertical stabilizer size and location unchanged. Trailing edge stock will be extended down to become part of the tail post of the fuselage. The leading edge stock will extend down to the bottom cross member of the airframe. These changes are in an attempt to regain strength.

Rudder as previously stated has been increased front to back by 1/2 inch.

Horizontal stabilizer/elevator assembly has been raised 5/8 inch and forward 1/8 inch.

Horizontal Stab will be shorter front to back by 7/8 inch (along the base of the vertical stab). The length from center out has been shortened by 1 1/8 inch. Therefore increasing the elevator counter balance width by that much.

The size of the elevators will go relatively unchanged. However the profile near the rudder will be changed first to fit the vertical stab by coming straight out and then to allow for 35Β° rudder deflection. Almost twice as much as called for.

My changes will certainly make the tail brace wires and absolute requirement. I’ll post a picture of my changed tail feather drawing placed on top of the original plans.

Now it should be time to cut and glue a few sticks of balsa.

Name:	Xv62938.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	945218  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick the Pro will make a great plane,
    One thing, water based urethane(Polycrylic) is not fuel proof or is Latex Paint, you will have to put a clear coat over top of it. I use Nelson's Hobby Specuialties Clear. Nitro fuels will break down the latex and make it gummy, if you run gas you can get away without clearing as long as you do not leave raw gas on the finish for extended periods of time. Just my .02 worth[)]
    Anthony
    WACO Brother #30 Cub Brother #17
    It's not the hours you put in It's what you put into the hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony,
    By any chance have you used the "Nelson's" clear over the top of latex? Just curious on the compatibility issues. Thanks.

Time has been a precious commodity that I have not been able to come by.
    I have managed to unbox and sort all the lumber for the β€œPRO”. But no significant progress to report.

Managed to go flying yesterday and log in another 7 flights. The rest of this weekend is pretty much booked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick,
    I have used the Nelson's over Latex and there are no compatability issues. I suggest spraying it with an HVLP at abot 30psi and you must thin it approx 50% with water to get it to spray. One quart will be more than enough to clear your entire plane, do not forget to order the crosslinker to go with it. The crosslinker is what makes it fuel proof.
    I sprayed 2 light coats on my 1/4 scale Cub and the results were great. The plane is 4 years old now and the finish still looks new. You can do a search here and find my build thread on the Cub, I believe I covered this in the thread and there are a ton of pics.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony,
    Found the Cub threads. Read most of the two leading up to the build thread. I book marked the build thread and will make it back to read soon. It is crazy to see how many of the WACO brotherhood have crossed paths before that thread was even started.
    Do you still have plans for the 30% or 33% percent cub?

Do you still have the desire to build a scale competition plane? I really have the burning desire to do that at least once to see how it works out for me. My plan at this point is to use the 1/5 scale WACO for that project.

It's time to get ready for the invasion of kids and grandkids for Mothers Day. (Thats a good thing, by the way).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick,
    I do want to build a competition plane one of these days just not sure what it will be. I do still have the plans for the Nelitz 33% Cub and it is on the to do list. I have a Ziroli 22.5% Stearman all framed up and I will going back to that once the Waco is finished. I am seriously thinking about learning CAD and designing my own scale plane. I think that would be the icing on the cake to build and compete with a plane of my own design.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally learned, if at all possible, it is much easier to do hinge slots before building the control surface. Once I got all the rudder and fin parts and pieces cut and sanded to length I set up my small drill press with a piece of aluminum bar clamped to the table as a jig to hold center spacing for drilling .050” holes in the 3/8 square stock. I drilled were the hinges will be… spacing my holes about 1 1/2 times the diameter of the bit. I then used the trust worthy ole hinge slotting tool to finish the slots off. Drilling the holes took more time but it made the job with the slotting tool so much easier. All in all I am sure I saved time and the quality is much improved. If there is a better way I sure hope to learn it soon.

Now, for the bevels on the hinge line of the fin and rudder. I am sure these are not scale. But, the sure look nice when finished. The bevels are 17 1/2 Β° per side per rudder and fin. This will give me a max of 35Β° rudder travel in each direction.

You will not find this set-up for the table saw in any textbook. You must be really careful and you must be confident with your table saw to be doing this. I little hobby type table saw would be much better. My problem was the slot for the blade is much too big for working with 3/8 stock.

Picture
    1drill press set up
    2&3-table saw set-up
    4&5 bevels for the hinge surface
    6&7-hinge slots

Name:	Xv65641.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	948234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx74924.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	948235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pv53142.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	948236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey69515.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	948237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lw19485.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	948238  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Du19626.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	948239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ac64757.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	948240  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Todays progress was building the verticle stab and the rudder along with a little prep for the horizontal stab and elevator.

I'll be making several mods to the construction method of the stab and elevator. I'll explain them as I go so I can have the pictures to go along with the story.

Name:	Yw68446.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	948880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83866.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	948881  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are building or have built one of these, you are familiar with the pieces that make up the elevator tips. The tips are built up with six pieces of 1/8 die cut balsa. This consist of two different parts spliced together and stacked three times (Picture 1).

I changed the ends of these parts slightly (picture 2) to adapt to the design changes I made to the elevator and stabilizer (earlier post).

I replaced the middle set of 1/8 balsa with three newly shaped pieces of 1/16 birch plywood spliced. (picture 3). The black lines on the plywood show were the splice for the ply is.

The intent here is: 1-to offset the spliced joints for strength… 2- the plywood through the center line like this should provide for a little more resistance to hanger rash… 3rd- more a side effect versus intended it will thin out the tips that 1/16 of an inch. Of coarse they will be feathered in to the 3/8 leading edge and the 3/16 trailing edge.

Name:	Ol31395.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	949512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34015.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	949513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69374.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	949514  

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast