Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

42" PITTS S2A

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

42" PITTS S2A

Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 AM
speed lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42" PITTS S2A

I just bought a kit that has been built and not covered I am not sure what make it is
And would like some help the plane has a 42” span and is recommended for a 19 to 25 engine. Its colour scheme is mainly white with red stripes I think it could be a pilot kit but not sure any help would be great.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM
speed lover

Default RE: 42" PITTS S2A

Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Post a pic, can't really say with the info you gave.

Dauntae
Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
speed lover

I tried to paste a pic but it did not work could you tell me how to do it
Old 05-12-2008, 08:57 PM
alfredbmor

A 42" span Pitts (Biplane) sounds to me like a 40 size instead of a 25 IMHO.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 PM
speed lover

I got my pitts S2A yesterday it says it is for a 19-25 the airframe is 2.1lbs and is very rigid it has spruce strips along the sides with a few ply strips too the cowl is in 3 sections with a hatch and are very thick. Someone has modified it though the bottom wing was originally built with full length aelirons with none on the top but it has had them halfed and added the other half to the top both sets are at the out side of the wings. Will this affect it badly or improve it also there is no balancing point on the plan will I just balance it 1/3 of the way back on the bottom wing.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:38 PM
alfredbmor

I was comparing it with mine wich is 46" span and specify a .40 sized 2 stroke engine, even that I currently use a Saito 82 with it.
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/airplan...view=techspecs

It is nice an agil biplane, I'd like to see some pictures of yours.

Mine has 4 ailerons and they are not full lenght, they are like yours is now, at the outside of the wings, and I have to tell you that they are very effective, it rolls very quick so you have to be carefull with your input and maybe use expo on your radio.

Visit the link above and look for the manual (I could not find mine) to compare the CG with yours.

At the aerodynamics forum there are a lot of links to set correctly the CG as maybe the model that you have is kind of different with the one I have.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
speed lover

That’s a real nice pitts mine has only 1 seat. I looked at the plan more closely
And it does have the CG placed between the wings on the side of the fuse. I would post some pics but don,t know how to do it could you tell me. The firewall uses quite an old design the engine bearers go through 1/8 hardboard ply and through 2 more bulkheads wich are quite close together it has quite a lot of bulkheads through the fuse. And is very rigid it makes my hanger 9 cap 232 look like cheap rubbish in construction design. The W/S is 1050mm the length is 890mm wing area is 33.7dm2 I don’t have the cnopy so I will have to try and find an accurate scale one this size.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:04 PM
alfredbmor

Posting pictures is always difficult the very first time but later you will do it in a snap.
Your pictures have to be in you computer already in a .jpg format, almost all digital cameras store pictures in this format, just take a look to be 100% sure.
Take note where your pictures are located in your computer, think on your computer as a tree, your hard disk is the trunk of your tree and it has a lot of branches (folders) and leafs (files). Trunk/branch/leaf
Your computer is like:
C: /Users/Maybe your name/My documents/My Pictures/name of the file.jpg(leaf)
Once you visually have located the place where you store the image files on your computer, you post on RCUniverse like you have been doing normally by clicking the POST REPLY button at the end of the last post. At the bottom of the space that you use to write your posts, there is a text which says "Click here to upload images and files". Click on that button and a new little window will appear, there are several spaces which at the right side have each and additional button with the text "Browse". Click Browse, then you are able to browse into your Computer (Remember the tree) to look for the file, when you finally find it, select it by double clicking on it or select it and hit the open button with your mouse, a double option will appear (OK) or (Cancel). Click on the OK button, the file will take some time to upload, when ready, another window will appear, Click again on the OK button, then you will go back automatically to the window where you are writing your post, when ever you are ready click on the OK option and that is it.
I hope it makes sense to you, maybe I am not very skilled on transmitting some computer ideas but I'd like you to try and if you have a problem I will try to help you to post your pictures.
Alfredo

Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: speed lover

I got my pitts S2A yesterday it says it is for a 19-25 the airframe is 2.1lbs and is very rigid it has spruce strips along the sides with a few ply strips too the cowl is in 3 sections with a hatch and are very thick. Someone has modified it though the bottom wing was originally built with full length aelirons with none on the top but it has had them halfed and added the other half to the top both sets are at the out side of the wings. Will this affect it badly or improve it also there is no balancing point on the plan will I just balance it 1/3 of the way back on the bottom wing.
It sounds like the old Pilot kit.
The aileron mod should work in principle, but we can't really see anything...

IF it is the old Pilot kit, the CG is shown on the plan to be 5 mm behind the Bottom wing L.E.

I still have the plan, but sold the model years ago.
It never did fly since there was no way a 25 could have lifted that weight using those wings..., and at the time I was too inexperienced to realise it.