Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Picked my first kit, now to talk the wife out of the $$

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Picked my first kit, now to talk the wife out of the $$

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picked my first kit, now to talk the wife out of the $$

Well, wenrt to a club meeting tonight, and after the meeting I mentioned to the guy wh started my instruction that I enjoyed repairing my wing so much I wanted to build my second plane from a kit. He, and the club president both came right back with "the Sig 4 Star 40 is a GREAT second plane and a good first kit"

Since I was already leaning heavy that way I think the decision is made. Now to get the wife type to allow the expense..
Old 05-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Picked my first kit, now to talk the wife out of the $$

I had a supervisor give me some advice on ordering new tools (the cheap one or the expensive one) He told me it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I just hope you have a comfortable couch if you take my advice[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 05-09-2008, 05:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

I had a supervisor give me some advice on ordering new tools (the cheap one or the expensive one) He told me it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I just hope you have a comfortable couch if you take my advice[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Word!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:53 AM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey......it's just the cost of a pair to her shoes.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't miss with the 4 Star. they are great planes to build and fly. Good Luck with the wife issue, Dave
Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
manks

Remember the old saying "Happy Wife, Happy Live" find a way to make her happy!

Here was my arguement:

I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't gamble, don't drive a fancy car, don't have a mistress.....

I do play a bit of golf and fly airplanes, is it so much to have so little.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Man, some of you guys put up with some twisted marriages! Isn't a supposed to be TWO-PERSON union and not a tyranny?? I read a lot of this stuff on RCU about how "the wife" runs the joint and puts a limit on this RC Hobby, I DON'T GET IT!!

But congrats on the four-star. I bought one as my second plane and it worked out great. I still fly it today, 4 yrs later!! It truly is a wonderful plane that will bring you lots of enjoyment without all the nagging.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flew my 4*60 this morning. It's fantastic. You'll enjoy the build as well.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Adui

LOLOL!! Well in truth I am a spoiled man, if I just do it she will whine a bit then get over it.

I will be fine if I can get past my own guilty feeling, after all, this is the woman who told me I could fly on this Sunday if I wanted because she doesn't want to hold me back from what I like. (For those who like me didn't remember till now, Sunday is Mothers day. I'm crazy but I ain't DUMB my plane will be in the hanger Sunday, my wife will get a bit of the spoiling back )
Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a good hobby if you can't afford to participate in it at a level that enthuses you, or which causes strife between marriage partners.

The wife and I have a deal and it has been working for 39 years this June. She does what she wants and I do what I want. We both have an "allowance" allocated in the family budget. If our wants exceed our budgeted allowance, we are free to pursue other means in order to generate the necessary funds, without criticism.

At times I have "loaned" her money from my allowance in order for her to make a large purchase, such as a sewing machine. Of course, she has reciprocated in kind to help me buy expensive things for my hobbies. We have even made up knick-knacks and sold them to tourist traps in order to generate extra hobby funds. That was a lot of fun. That was back when our incomes were low and we were young.

Lots of good memories. Of course, the best memories are of when she built and flew R/C models too. Eventually, she had to quit flying models because of a health problem (epilepsy). She was a great flying buddy. She still pits for me occasionally.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

My wife and I pretty much follow Creegers format. It can take a couple of years to save up for a big project. I fly, shoot, motorcycle and camp. Shes with me on all that except flying. She does photography instead, which can cost as much as some of my planes.
Edwin
Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: Edwin
... She does photography instead, which can cost as much as some of my planes.
Edwin
I don't know Edwin... everytime I go down to Austin and shop a Precision Camera, I generally end up spending a lot more than my planes! In fact, I could get a nice turbine for the price of the next camera & lens I'm lookin at...[X(]
Old 05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The camera will probably last a lot longer

Thats the justification I used to drop 1500 on a DSLR anyways.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

The camera will probably last a lot longer

Thats the justification I used to drop 1500 on a DSLR anyways.
I need to remember that one!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

I have a budget - she usually doesn't say much of anything when I go over it. It's never enough and even if it were more than it is - it still wouldn't be enough. The budget is in place not because she said so but because it is what we can afford for me to spend on things at this time in our lives. There was a time when I could have done whatever I wanted and not worry about it but things are different today, lives change and now I have a budget. I try to recycle the things I don't use anymore or am bored of and am generally successful with that. I also try to plan ahead with my endeavors; stock up on kits when I can get good deals and such. This year the only airplane I've bought is that Sig P-51B. Last year I didn't buy a single airplane but had plenty to keep me busy. This year I'll hopefully finish two kits.

You can't go wrong with a 4* - I've been flying nearly 30 years (and almost always on a budget) and as long as the 4* has been around I've almost always had one of one size. Right now I've got a 40 waiting to be built.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Brownie points. You gotta add them up, save them up, and redeem them at exactly the right time. Last year I got her a Nikon D80 and a ton of accessories for her birthday. That makes me good till about the end of this year.<g> Need a new engine for a yellow spitfire about that time. Turbines, as much as I'd like to, its just not gonna happen unless prices come down a lot. I can do 3 or 4 big warbirds for the price of one turbine ready to fly. Gotta stay within my means. Just tell your wife how much turbines cost, and how cool they are. Big wow factor. Then when you look at the cost of the kit, it all comes into perspective.
Edwin
Old 05-10-2008, 09:13 AM
NM2K

I've gone through the same line of reasoning, Edwin. I would love to fly a turbine, and I could, if I gave up my motorcycle and a few other things that I enjoy doing. I don't want to do a turbine that badly. It might be different if they could never crash and be destroyed, then...

Ed Cregger
Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
summerwind

i'm sorry to say this, but if you gotta go through hoops with your better half to enjoy your life as you like, then you ain't livin'....................my wife understands my needs and never scoffs or nags me about nothin, nor do i her.
and then again, i do not get so obsessed that i ignore her for the hobby either..................but i think you should find another hobby if you can't enjoy this one!
Old 05-10-2008, 02:33 PM
NM2K

Who are you responding to, summerwind?

Ed Cregger
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Who are you responding to, summerwind?

Ed Cregger
the OP.........you certainley didn't think i was dissrespecting you did you?...........you know better.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:26 PM
NM2K

No, I didn't think that you were disrespecting anyone, to be honest with you.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Adui

LOL The things we say that get misconstrued. I dont have to worry about any thing except my own guilt factor.

We live on a budget, my wife would allow me to spend all of our free money on my stuff if i really wanted, (Especially since she stays at home doing the real work AKA raising kids while I take a paid vacation at my job)

I just find it far more pleasing when I am not being overly selfish, so I guess the title of this post should have been "Picked my first build kit, now to justify the cost to myself so I dont feel guilty for spending the $$"
Old 05-10-2008, 08:15 PM
summerwind

there you go.................now you sound like a real modeler, and not one of those selfish "all me" types............i said what i did as i have had a few friends that had to save their lunch money just to buy a gallon of fuel for Sunday flying.........great guys, pathetic wives...............glad you got a good one.

i hope you post your entire build here as well...........i love build topics and all the help that goes into them.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Adui

LOL! Yup, well when I told the better half i wanted to buy the kit if I get a large enough bonus she just said "OK".

As for a build thread, as long as you don't mind REALLY REALLY long time threads I will probably do that. I plan to work on this bird a little at a time over a period of as much as a year. (Time off between Jan and April due to my busy season).

Its going to be a winter time project mostly, (Yea right.. as much as I enjoyed my repairs it will go together as fast as I can get the right advice to assemble each section LOLOLOL!!)

Seriously, this will be just like my return to the hobby, take it slow and deliberately back off if I feel like I'm getting impatient.