Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

J-3 Cub as second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

J-3 Cub as second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Chicken-Farmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J-3 Cub as second plane?

I am looking into a second plane to build right now. What are the pros and cons of the J-3 Piper cubs? I've heard people say that they want to fly forever , they get squirrelly when it's time to land, and that they can be quite aerobatic.
I'm also wondering what the benefits/disadvantages of building a kit rather than buying ARF are?
I really like the Sig J-3 or Great Planes J-3. The great planes is covered with 21 century fabric, anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Last question clipped wing or normal wing. I'm not really an acrobatic flier i prefer pattern work mostly but enjoy an occasional loop or aileron roll!

Old 05-07-2003, 02:03 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some kit cubs really suck, others are really great. The Goldberg anniversary cub has to be the best cub ever built. It flies great, builds great and is easy to take off and land. The sig cub is from my experience, one of the dogs. It was a pain on the ground, and didn't fly that great. The great planes cub is OK, but doesn't fly as well as the Goldberg. They are close, but not equal. The balsa USA 1/4 scale cub is good, but I wouldn't suggest it for a second plane. These are all the build up kits. I don't care for ARF kits. There is just no quality in them. You have to modify landing gear and firewalls most of the time and they just are not built well IMHO. If you build it, you can incorperate hardpoints for floats and clip the wing if you feel like it.

If you just like touch and goes, build the goldberg and you will love doing pattern work. I do aerobatics with it as well and it does quite a few things you wouldn't expect a cub to do.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I had the Goldberg cub with a K&B 60 clipped wing as my 3rd plane I think if im remembering right.

It flew great, very stable. I lost it because I didn't glue the wing bolt blocks good enough and the wing came off doing some aerobatics.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:37 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

I have owned the World Models Clipped Wing Cub, and still own the World Models Full wing Cub (see avatar)... Both are excellent flyers... with no bad flying problems.... take-offs and landings are Cub like... my Cubs like to land on the Mains and let the tail come down after after a short roll.... 3 point landings are tough.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:59 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on your goals as a pilot.

In my opinion, a second plane should be used to improve your abilities and increase confidence. It should be easy to handle on the ground, do basic aerobatics, have a decent vertical capability, fly honestly, be durable, cheap, easy to repair, simple to set-up, and above all else, not be scary to fly.

I always recommend a stick as a second plane. There is no other plane that will let your skills and confidence advance faster than a stick. The simple reason is that you'll get more stick time and when you fly, you won't be afraid to push your limits. Not only that, it will cost you very little money and will build quickly.

Save the cub for another day.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:10 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Good advice on the stick as a second plane.... Look around and try to find a good price on the Kangke/SuperKraft SK-50... It's similar to a stick, and flys very very slow... real smooth flyer, and it's easy to build... you usually find them for about $120... put a good .46 in it have have a blast.... my SK50 flies slower than most trainers (with the exception of SnowMans Kadet Sr.... that thing is ridiculous ).... but turn up the rates, and hang on baby!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First, let me state that a cub is not a good second plane for this reason. It has windows, and a bolted on wing. One mishap and you cockpit is shattered.

However, on the subject of wings, IMHO a clipped wing is the only way to go. Here's why:

The full scale Cub was designed as a cheap starter plane. It had a small engine and therefore needed a large lifting surface. It would be like us flying a 40 size cub with a .25 engine. We don't NEED that big wing, and having a wing that big increases adverse yaw. A full-wing cub is one of the only models I've ever seen where you can actually SEE the adverse yaw from the ground.

Clipping the wing DOES make the plane more aerobatic, but it does NOT make it harder to fly. Personally, I think it makes it easier.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:12 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say "Yes" if you wanted to learn to fly: 1) a taildragger and 2) learn to use a rudder!

Jerry
Old 05-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Live Wire

Sig 1/5 cub THE BEST for a first . Parts for clipped wing or standard, Flies great builds fast, Flys great on Mag. 52 4st engine.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gee RC Outlaw....that's exactly (well almost) what I'm currently flying (I use an OS .52)....covered with Coverite Fabric...how's yours?

Jerry

PS I agree the kit is great....
Old 05-08-2003, 02:45 AM
Live Wire

Tailskid
I used Mono C boy is this thing light.have built many Sigs planes but when it comes to Laser cutting this is the best. I built it in 3 days Rigged it in one . Flys great but not in the wind want to hover to land! Who needs a run way.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:07 PM
majesticmonkey

I say go for it.

My trainer was the GP 40 size J-3 and it flew great. Which type of wing you choose is purely up to you. If you like floating around at low throttle build the stock wing. Stock wing is harder to transport - if I remember correctly mine was almost 6 ft long. Also stock wing might require you to fasten/unfasten wing struts every time you transport your plane. They wouldn't be neccessary with the clipped wing - might not be neccessary with stock wing either but I didn't care to try.

Mine was tricky to take-off due to the torque, but you'll get used to it I'm sure.

Good luck with whatever you choose,

Marcus
Old 05-08-2003, 08:09 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Default great planes J-3

Originally posted by majesticmonkey

Also stock wing might require you to fasten/unfasten wing struts every time you transport your plane. They wouldn't be neccessary with the clipped wing - might not be neccessary with stock wing either but I didn't care to try.
The great planes 40 size kit instructions make it clear that the struts are not structural and are for scale appearance only. I never used them and have had no troubles.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 PM
majesticmonkey

I stand corrected
Old 05-08-2003, 09:29 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

On the Sig kit RC-3, 71" J-3 Cub, the wing struts are necessary. On a perfectly calm day, with absolutely calm flying, you might get away with not using them.

But this is the only kit I can speak of with authority. It's also the only J-3 kit I've built.

Bill.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:37 PM
DaveB

Maybe I missed it, but what I didn't read about your first plane.
Assumming your first is a trainer, you may want to consider the GP Easy Sport. It is easy to fly, does all the manuevers and is priced right.

Cubs are great, I have the GP 40 and enjoy flying it, it's relaxing but it doesn't have the flying capabilities of the EZ Sport.

DaveB
Old 07-06-2003, 02:04 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by FLYBOY
Some kit cubs really suck, others are really great. The Goldberg anniversary cub has to be the best cub ever built. It flies great, builds great and is easy to take off and land. The sig cub is from my experience, one of the dogs. It was a pain on the ground, and didn't fly that great. The great planes cub is OK, but doesn't fly as well as the Goldberg. They are close, but not equal. The balsa USA 1/4 scale cub is good, but I wouldn't suggest it for a second plane. These are all the build up kits. I don't care for ARF kits. There is just no quality in them. You have to modify landing gear and firewalls most of the time and they just are not built well IMHO. If you build it, you can incorperate hardpoints for floats and clip the wing if you feel like it.

If you just like touch and goes, build the goldberg and you will love doing pattern work. I do aerobatics with it as well and it does quite a few things you wouldn't expect a cub to do.
I'd like to upgrade my GP 60 cub to a 1/4 scale. Would you care to tell us why you didn't like the SIG cub? I've seen a couple fly and they looked to fly and handle on the ground just fine. Looking for more info, not an argument. The Balsa USA kit is an option, of course. The Goldberg just isn't big enough.

thanks
Old 07-06-2003, 03:09 AM
Dead eyes

I built a Goldberg cub and it is a stable flyer. It will most assurdly teach you to use the Rudder ! Proper ground handling is also another thing it will teach you. Like giving some up elevator while taxing and taking off and landing that is required for taildraggers. I built the regular wing 76.5 and it is a floater but make sure like any airplane you have the cg just right. I personally feel the Uproar is a good second plane. The .40 & .60 size are still on sale at tower. They can be mild or wild depending on your throws and are cheap and dependable. Here a couple pictures of my Cub and Uproar.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2003, 03:31 AM
Dead eyes

Uproar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91741_26374.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	45646  
Old 07-06-2003, 03:40 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Deadeyes:

At least your daughter is good looking.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:11 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I understand your desire to get somthing that looks like a real airplane. But, the Cub really isn't the best choice for a second airplane. Could you build it and fly it, yeh, but you will have much better results with the other planes mentioned.
Any brand of "Stick" airplanes such as the Ultra stick series, the Kange Sk-50, or Goldbergs Tiger II or Tiger 60, Sigs 4-star series would all be much better choices for your second plane. These planes will continue to teach you to fly with confidence and at the same time are really fun to fly.
Consider buying a "stick" ARF, assemble it as a tail dragger and fly that while you take your time and build a really nice Cub kit. When the Cub is finished your flying experiance/skills should be ready for the unique characteristics the Cub will display.
Remember that you will get a lot of different advice here in this forum. It will come from folks of all experiances and flying styles. Some of them are flyers who on take off, move the left stick all the way up and never touch it again until its time to land and others enjoy the smoothness and precision of the aircraft and the relaxing quality of a GOOD flying model. Being a good pilot is more than slamming the sticks around and stressing the airframe!
Old 07-06-2003, 05:34 PM
AceMcCool

Im just a little bit ahead of chicken farmer for the cub because just a few days ago I was given a already built one that is 2nd hand.. 105" wing span. I am going to get a gas 30cc engine for it and have already setup all the servos. I just need that engine.

All I suggest is learn to fly with rudder and elevator only on a trainer, that way you should be good to go for the cub.. but don't blame me if you crash it because I havent flown mine yet to tell ya what its like.

If you plan on putting it on floats like I am the rudder practice helps too. I put my Sig LT-40 on floats and it works good but you need to have a little experiance with rudder especially on take off or you will have to get in the boat and get it heh.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:34 AM
derailed

Default J3 cub

i'm the proud owner of a J-3 cub by great planes
mine is electric
flys well for a brick
lol
seriously, mine only cartwheeled twice
flys well but you must use rudder when turning
you need to use all 4 channels
it is fussy in crosswinds
when landing, be on your toes
a crosswind will make it stray easy
the tall fuselage makes it act as a sail
lol
this plane has only received wing tip damage so far
easy to fix
in the pic, you see my better half holding a herr J3 just tossed together and the electric great planes J-3 sitting in front of her
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91974_25226.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	45647  
Old 07-07-2003, 03:44 PM
RobStagis

It's *your* choice. I've had 2 Goldberg cubs. The first one was a jinxed plane - all my fault. I ended up with the full-size wing out of it, then built the clipped-wing for my second plane, so I had both to mess with.

The cub (I think any of them) will do whatever you ask of them on minimal power, and will rip around the sky with a clipped-wing and hotter engine. My brother's Goldberg was a clipped-wing on floats with a KB .61...

They are floaters without being 'trainers'. If you stall a Goldberg Cub, it has a pronounced stall (at least at idle), and will fall out of the sky until it regains airspeed. You can fly one just like a trainer - but they fly so much better when you've mastered coordinated turns (using your rudder and ailerons). And the taildragger aspect adds to the fun and skills-to-learn.

Just remember - with scale details come more-intricate repairs. Probably the only thing I didn't like on the Goldberg Cubs was the cowl, and any problems with it were probably my fault. Replace the wood pushrods if you plan on hotting it up.......
Old 07-08-2003, 02:20 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no reason not to build a cub as a second if you get the right kit. The goldberg anniversary cub is one of the best flying RC planes and if set up right, can fly like a trainer. Very easy plane to fly and slows down. That kit would be a great second plane, if you get help with it and build it right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.