Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Mounting Elder 40 Vertical Stab

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Mounting Elder 40 Vertical Stab

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
aglaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Elder 40 Vertical Stab

Its time to finally put all these airplane parts together and finish my first kit! My only problem seems to be installing the vertical stab.. The darned thing will not fit into the hole!! on the planes it looks like I need to cut part of the horizontal stabs trailing edge out to make it fit.. Is this true?? It doesent seem like a good idea so I am waiting for seomeone with experience with this model to help me!! Thanks!!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Mounting Elder 40 Vertical Stab

Can you post pics?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
aglaser

Sorry I dont have a digital cam.. I dug around on the internet and found a few pics and I decided to cut part of the horizontal stab out and reinforce the area that I weakened.. I have the vertical stab epoxied on now and it looks great!! I cant wait till this thing flies!! building a kit is so much rewarding than assembling an arf!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Don41

I have yet to epoxy mine in place but as you can see from these pics I did have to remove some balsa to allow for the fuselage gussets but the stab slot fit as per plans. I wasn't worried about the sloting because the epoxy has a large surface to bond to.

Be sure to post your maiden info.

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64873.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	959826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22625.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	959827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12324.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	959828  
Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 PM
aglaser

Don.. Looking great!!! I didnt put those gussets on because I read a build thread that told me not to.. My mistake on the rudder was that I didnt have that notch on the trailing edge.. I cut that out and reinforced that corner with tri stock.. I got it all epoxied together and it looks great!! All I gotta do is hook up the radio and install the engine and its ready to go
Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: aglaser

Don.. Looking great!!! I didnt put those gussets on because I read a build thread that told me not to.. My mistake on the rudder was that I didnt have that notch on the trailing edge.. I cut that out and reinforced that corner with tri stock.. I got it all epoxied together and it looks great!! All I gotta do is hook up the radio and install the engine and its ready to go
I have the wing and tail surfaces covered,,, just about to cover the fuselage then I'll assemble the parts. I intend to add the rigging wires but I'm not looking forward to it (that and painting the MG and pilot).

I have yet to break in the Saito 56 I'm using but that won't take long.

I love building but I have purchased my first ARF,,, the Four Star 120. I am going to use it to gain experience in that size low wing before I build my Spacewalker II. Also good way to get some time on my 125. If I'm going to crash I want it to be the ARF (:-)

Don