Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting question?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:23 AM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting question?

Hey guys,
First off any advice will be much needed. I have jumped on my first build the TF P-51. I am getting ready to start the painting of it. The question that i have is being that it is a fully sheeted plane do i need to fiberglass the plane or can i just seal it and paint it. I have never built so anyhelp would be great.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Painting question?

Hi!
Lightest method is to cover with Oracover (Ultracote to you Americans). Done right this will give a very natural aluminum look.
If you don't choose the plastic film route you can use 25g glass fiber and 24 hour epoxy and brown micro balloons (plastic micro balloons)
Old 06-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Do a search on glassing with water based poly. Unless you want to monokote this is the way to go.

You can then paint with latex.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the latex hold up to nitro fuel?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Campgems

How does the latex hold up to nitro fuel?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:59 PM
skillet92

I guess that i might have posed the question wrong. I want to know do i need to use the fiberglass cloth? Being that the plane is fully sheeted and the polycoat will seal and harden is it nessary!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:25 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

You will need to cover the plane first to keep the wood from expanding and cracking the finish. I would suggest that you explore the water based polyurethane and fiberglass cloth covering method. Do a search and you will find a lot of information on this subject. Then you can paint the plane with latex. The plane will need to be sealed and a number of products on the market are made for this. Some just use hardware store clear coats. I have found a water borne polyurethane named Cabot. In my tests it performs very well in holding up to glow fuel. I only use 10% though. Cabot when left to cure performs much better than the Minwax brand in my opinion. I was not pleased with Minwax at all. Hope this helps.
JEB
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I useed .05 glass cloth and poly when I built my bonanza and auto paint
Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

The answer is YES you do need to cover the bare wood or the wood will split and the grain will continue to come through. I use silkspan or fiberglass - either put down with polycrylic.

Paul
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished A plane that was fully sheeted and I glassed it then painted. Came out nice too.
If you search out A site called Completely Scale RC he has A great thread on glassing with Poly U. In this case he uses Deft Brushing Laquer instead of water based poly. I used the Brushing Laquer for my own reasons. Almost everything you put on gasses off so it doesn't weigh very much when finished. I used 1/2 oz glass.
Here is the deal, you put down two coats at least of sanding sealer before you glass and sand, it too gasses off so not much weight left behind. I did glass but I kept thinking WHY??? The sealer kept it from splitting or showing much grain. For my final finish I mixed in about 50% baby powder and it filled in any grain or weave that may not have been filled. Then more sanding.
Go find this site and read it, it was A longer project then I would normaly do but it was worth the finished product.
For paint I used Klass Kote, great stuff, two part epoxy. For war birde I would pull up Warbirdcolors.com and see what they have for you.