Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

I need a kit for a Saito .45

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

I need a kit for a Saito .45

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM
rexracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a kit for a Saito .45

Can anyone suggest a kit (25 size?) for a Saito .45 MKII ? I prefer scale/ sport scale planes. It would be my first (almost) kit. I used to build a lot of plastic models when I was a kid, and I built a 24" SE 5 when I was nine. It was balsa and tissue, and turned out pretty well, but that was over 30 years ago. All I've built lately is ARF's. I wouldn't mind a plane that was on the fast end of the scale...getting tired of floaters.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I need a kit for a Saito .45

I was just looking at my June issue of RC Model World magazine and they have a free plans in the next issue for .15 two stroke size 37" span Formula 1 racer. http://www.rcmodelworld.com/issue/issue.aspx?cid=4038
It's called teh Okie Swinger. Neet looking little plane. It woldn't be hard to have the plan coppied at 1.25 to 1 and that would give you about a 46" WS, aobut right for the Saito 45. In fact that engine is a bit under powered, so it may be a match on a 1 to1 sise. It would be fast.

Don
Old 06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

You might try a Sig Cobra 45"
It's made for a .19-.35 size engine.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFG02&P=0
You might need a 3 blade prop for good ground clearance.

There is a thread on here somewhere about replacing the cam in the FA-45 MKII with one from a FA-56 for a decent boost in power.

Back in the 80's my friend flew a BUSA Force One with a FA-45 MK II
It didn't tear up the sky but it did fly well.

I have that FA-45 in a 62" Nosen Citabria now
Old 06-11-2008, 06:09 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a Great Planes Taylorcraft?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LE1165&P=1

Should be faster than a "floater" with that Saito .45 in the nose and its semi-scale.

-Johnny-
Old 06-13-2008, 11:05 AM
rexracer

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can find the thread on changing the cam. I may try it, since I have 2 .45 MKII's.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Since you have two, how about doing a twin. I've got two also and will be building an LT40 for them. I think Model Aviation (AMA) has a plan specifically for the Saito 45, I think it's ~ 47" span. The Kobra might not be bad as mentioned earlier, but mine loves the 32 two stroke.
I've had the 45 in a 4*40, kinda of boring. Also had it in a Senior Kadet, flew fine but very limited verticle.
Can't remember the kit maker- there is a 50" PT19 in kit available. I always thought that would be a good match.
Good luck, MikeB
Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure you know that the Saito .45 is not exactly a top choice for speed. If you want something it would fit nicely without cramming it in and having CG problems, with pretty spirited performance compared to floaters, then try a Sig 4*40 with clipped wings, or a Goldberg Falcon III, GP Dazzler, or Tower Uproar. Jim