Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Next Build - Kobra - Other?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Next Build - Kobra - Other?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
cutterjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Build - Kobra - Other?

I've finished my Kadet Mark II and am thinking of the next build for the winter. I am thinking of the Sig Kobra, probably running a .40, maybe taildragger configuration.

I'm thinking of maybe doing it up like a Canadian Forces CF86 Sabre for the demonstration team Golden Hawks.

Is it a good choice or are there other builds that I should look at and consider?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
SpeedBoy

Default RE: Next Build - Kobra - Other?

I would also consider a Ultra sport , awesome , reliable and good looking airplane
Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I finished one up for A friend not too long ago, it was A fun build and A number of ways to go with it. The SIG line of kits are always fun and very well thought out. I liked building the Kavalier better though, I built it for the same friend. I just thought it was A better flying plane and built like A small tank. Better looking too but that is just my thoughts on them.
There are A lot of nice/fun kits still out there in the smaller sizes, you have the time so look at A lot of them then make up your mind.
Have A 4* 60 on the bench now for another friend, it too is A nice build and can be changed around A bit too.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Here's my suggestion: ANYTHING but a Sig Four-Star or Somethin' Extra. Trust me, a lot of others feel the same way.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Gray Beard

Now that is odd??? Two of the top kit builds on RCU???
I can't help myself, I just have to ask??
Are they too hard for you to build or to hard for you to fly???
An inquiring mind wants to know???
Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
huck1199

How about a Sig Kougar? There is a build thread going on here now.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

They're all laser cut, of course. Shouldn't they be considered as ARFs? Flight: Not much more difficult than a trainer, to be honest. At least, that's what I pick up on all the threads. Only one problem: EVERYBODY and the neighbor's dog is building one.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

how bout a balsa usa enforcer?? i have built 2. they cant stall(delta wing), they fly wonderful, different approch on building methods, they slow down very well, has a very long glide when dead stick, you can alter very easily with retracts if you want, (my 2nd one had retracts) large power range, creates alot of att. at the field. if you get on the throttle if will really move across the sky also. just a thought...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

The Kobra is a great flying plane with a 32 on it. I would think the 40 would add a lot of weight. This is the easiest landing plane I have. Line it up, cut throttle and it just sinks on down. Even the bad landings look good. It is fairly speedy and may not be the best second plane for that reason. I'm not big on the nose wheel, if I were to do it again I'd make it a taildragger.
The 4*40 was my second plane and it shows the scars of learning. Still flys great with a Saito 45. I've been flying this one a bit lately and having a blast. Put a hot 2 stroke on it and it can be fairly speedy as well. Mine has had Magnum52 4st, 51 ST, TT46PRO, Saito 82, and 2nd Saito 45 now.

Both are fun and fly better when lighter.

Sig has the Kougar for the 40 size engines. Sounds like another winner.

Have fun, MikeB
Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 PM
NorfolkSouthern

How about a Sig Citabria? I've never seen a full build thread. But, may like to buy a kit to work on over the Winter.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 07-09-2008, 10:39 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

How about a Sig Citabria? I've never seen a full build thread. But, may like to buy a kit to work on over the Winter.

NorfolkSouthern
A Citabria by Sig is a nice kit but I think I would build it with a better airfoil for inverted flight to really make it shine.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM
frenchie79

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

They're all laser cut, of course. Shouldn't they be considered as ARFs? Flight: Not much more difficult than a trainer, to be honest. At least, that's what I pick up on all the threads. Only one problem: EVERYBODY and the neighbor's dog is building one.

NorfolkSouthern
Not much more difficult than a trainer, to be honest. At least, that's what I pick up on all the threads.
Obviously never built or flown one!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Gray Beard

Mark, play nice!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Beowolf

Hi cutterjohn.

A Sig Kobra is a great choice! I bought one and modified it to a tail dragger with a Thunder Tiger Pro .36. It works fantastic! And it's fast enogh to keep up with any other plane in my club that has a up to .50 size engine!

The kit was up to the usual Sig standard. The plans and instructions where clear and easy to follow. Though, it does take a bit of time to complete but, well worth it!

I used a small Du Bro tail well mount and made it fixed! The plane still steers great on the runway for take off and landings. And I can even taxi with it. Though sharp turns are rather limited.

I have included some pics showing the tailweel and main gear installation to give you some ideas on how to mount yours(Sorry for the low quality pics).

For the mains, I removed a piece of balsa and in it's place I installed a piece of 1/4" light ply in it's place and sanded it to blend in to the lines of the fuse.

For the tail wheel, I just shaped a pice of light 1/8" light ply to mount the tail wheel bracket to.

But, as you can see the horizontal stab was torn off the plane(The results of moving), and Im in the process of making a replacement. I hope to have this plane back in the air soon!

I hope this has helped!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53473.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	997088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34450.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	997089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44175.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	997090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25841.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	997091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62375.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	997092  
Old 07-26-2008, 09:09 AM
cutterjohn

Beowolf,

Your Kobra looks great. Thanks for the pics. I'm planning on making mine a taildragger as well, so the details are most appreciated.

I noticed that you are using wing hold-down bolts for the gear. Do you find that to be sufficiently strong? I was thinking of doing the same and was just wondering how it holds up on a rough field?

thanks again.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Gray Beard

I finished this one up about A year ago for A friend. It was built for racing so it has A few little differences from A stock build but it looks stock. It's A tail dragger but I didn't put on A steerable tail wheel. On this one, no reason for it.
These little SIG kits are outstanding and there are several ways to change them so they look like something different with each build.
I liked building this one but I think I enjoyed the Kavalier A bit more. It may just have been having more room in the Kav for all the neat little stuff??

Name:	Zw69534.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	997908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86008.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	997909  
Old 07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
frenchie79

Grey Beard-I sure like that little plane, thanks for the inspiration and help on conversion to tail dragger. Had mine out last week for a couple flights, fast, lands like a dream and is just a joy to fly. Running an OS 46AX with 20% nitro/18% oil and an APC 9x8 prop. Couldn't tell you how fast, just don't blink in low corners or on the deck.

Name:	Ec87757.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	999521  
Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Gray Beard

Mark, that really did come out sweet.
Is that A MAC pipe?? Are they really A lot lighter then stock? Did it bump up your RPM any?
I'm not sure what the club rule book states but that big tuned muffler that went on this engine just weighs way too much. I know pipes are out but I have been looking at that one with questions on my mind.
If it's worth it I will pass on the info to the planes owner/pilot.
I tried to clock A few of these little planes I have built for racing with A radar gun, good luck!! You have to be standing right in the runway center with the plane coming in at you about face high and hit it with the gun. Most the shots are A complete miss. You are sort of aiming at the engine only anyway, the wood doesn't show up.
All I really know is they are really fast. How does your plane corner??
Gene
Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
frenchie79

Gene, The Mac pipe does give you a few hundred but not tuned pipe results, The Tower muffler will actully give you more, the weight is what really got me to use it, far less than stock and it looks WAY cooler and sounds like it's fast. Heck after a 100+ i don't care about a few more MPH. Check it out, i own 3 or 4 of them and use them for the weight advantage in Fun fly models, it is a very nice product.
The Kobra flat fly's like it's on rails, corners the same-Tip the Ailers and add elevator. Knife edges are simple at high speed-just a touch of rudder. I'll work on getting some video of this plane, it really turned out well-your idea of the tail dragger setup was PERFECT!

PS-As you know, putting the 46 in front, balance became a real issue, anything lighter up front helps.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Gray Beard

Yep, that .55 with the monster muffler was A total thrill. You know where I had to put the ele. and rud. servos and battery!!! I have several small engines from .25 to .35, just thinking about how nice this little plane would go together as A stock build.
Looks like James {Bipeguy} is going to give us another build real soon, I'm looking forward to that!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 PM
iflyg450

Go for the KOBRA. I have been flying mine with a TT .36 and jet tuned muffler 9x8 apc for 3 years and it screams!! One small draw back, its not the easiest plane to build.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
YOADRIAN

This is one hot bird mine is twenty yrs old and just had my first touch with the ground last weekend but she will be back up soon. Powerplant 45f and she goes like a bat out of hell. Here are some picks of her and take it from me the young ones always ask what is it? She looks fast just standing still lol.

Name:	Tr50011.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1015725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61176.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1015726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56484.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.5 KB