Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Scaling Kits Larger?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Scaling Kits Larger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Scaling Kits Larger?

How do you scale up a kit?

Do you use a percentage? 10% more wing cord and 10% more span? And 10% longer fuselage? 10% larger tail surfaces?

I had some basic design ratios once, but have lost the file. Somebody had pics posted of span/cord ratios and span/length ratios. Ratios for square inches of tail surface too wing area.

I have a kit that I want to do this with. I want to keep the fuse width the same so my cowl still fits, but I want to stretch the overall length of the fuse and wings to accommodate a larger engine (gas). Not sure if I should make the fuselage taller too?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:17 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scaling Kits Larger?

Scaling does not mean just the parts you want but the whole thing!

In your case just ten percent wider on the fuse won't be enough to be concerned as you seem to be.In other words just scale the whole thing and don't worry about the rest.

Now to answer your question, the best way I know of is to use TilePrint (do a search) to do the job. It is easy to use and is under 16 bucks to purchase. Yopu can not beat the price for what this program is able to do!!!

See it here:
http://www.blackflight.com/tileprint/

Robert
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

How do you scale up a kit?

Do you use a percentage? 10% more wing cord and 10% more span? And 10% longer fuselage? 10% larger tail surfaces?

I had some basic design ratios once, but have lost the file. Somebody had pics posted of span/cord ratios and span/length ratios. Ratios for square inches of tail surface too wing area.

I have a kit that I want to do this with. I want to keep the fuse width the same so my cowl still fits, but I want to stretch the overall length of the fuse and wings to accommodate a larger engine (gas). Not sure if I should make the fuselage taller too?
Now thats an interesting question! I would first determine the increased weight of the engine and fuel combination over the existing design and attempt to keep the wing loading the same. (Naturally there will be more wood/covering, heavier gear etc to consider too). Assuming you will be using the same airfoil, this will give you a number for the new span and chord. Then I would maintain the same ratio of stabilizer area etc to the new wing area as the old one. The stabilizer distance from the cg would be tough. I would probably multiply the old length times a ratio of the new wingspan over the old. Fuselage cross-section is irrelevant as long as it is strong enough to support the flight loads of the bigger plane. You can strengthen high stress areas with 1/16th ply for example.

I don't know what kind of plane you are considering or the difference in engine sizes. A high performance plane may have additional considerations like flutter, spar flex, etc.

What are the specifics of the project?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:12 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take your plans to the copy shop and enlarge them to what size you want. Engine, etc., will depend on what you end with and expected weight. You have to increase hardware, servos, etc. You have to enlarge the complete kit, not just parts. Happy building!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Whoa nelly! It sounds like you really don't need to scale up your entire aircraft just make it longer. if you scale it up your cowl wont fit.
Basically I would need more information as to what you have, then, what you want. what kind of plane? is it a kit? what kit?
the more information you give the better answers you will get. Basically it sounds as if all you need do is add wing tips and move your empennage rearward. or again maybe not. we really need to know what ya got and where you wanna go with it
Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Decided to sideline the project until next year.

Thanks for the replies.