Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to deal with BALSA DUST?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to deal with BALSA DUST?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 01:00 PM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to deal with BALSA DUST?

I am trying to finish my first kit and was in for a big surprise when the sanding began.
THIS IS A VERY MESSY PROCESS! I tried to do it in garage and realized that I have coated my wife’s car and whole garage with balsa. I am in big trouble. So, I need to clean up the mess and find a better way to do it. Where do you do your sending and how to make sure the dust is not everywhere?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only place I make sure the dust it NOT, is in my lungs. I'll wear a dust mask and to hell with everything else. You could get expensive and get dust collection systems, but in my opinion they dont completly solve the problem. I clean the shop about once a month or after a major dust storm. Oh yeah, my wifes 68 mustang convertable is under a cover.
Edwin
Old 05-15-2003, 01:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My usual method is to accumulate all of it in my clothing and then scatter it all over the house (At least that's what my wife says).

Actually, I try to do the bigger sanding jobs outside, But you can never count on weather either, so basically everything in my shop has about a 1/2" thick layer of balsa dust covering it. Unless you want to get an industrial type air filter (or get really anal with a vacuum cleaner), it's just something you learn to live with.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:27 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Delta makes a small dust collector with a flexible outlet and stand. You can position it right next to the item you are sanding. It collects about 85% of the dust. I think they are about $150.00 at Lowes.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a home made dust collector that a friend made. I turn it on when I sand now. I had two and gave one away before I realized what they were. Dumb move. I should build another. They are great. I also wear a dust mask now. I never used to but I am tired of hacking and choking when sanding. I tend to clean the shop after I sand too, but not always. It can get pretty deep pretty fast, but the collector helps a ton.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Highlander

Nothing like balsa dust in the morning ,LOL

Ive found no good way to eliminate the dust, even after I clean the shop if you dont move everything it is still there .

so what I do is I keep the work table clean and do the floor now and then where I can reach with the shop vac

I try and smile when my wife is telling me how bad Iam .

All in All I love this hobby, and all the dust that goes with it .

by the way wives never seem to get used to it ,no matter how many years its been going on,

Highlander
Old 05-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

I collect all the balsa dust and when I have a crack in sheeting I mix up a slurry of dust & thin ca and fill the crack.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:47 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I work in my basement so I really need to work at keeping the dust down. I created a nozzle shaped like a tuba to fit on the end of my shop vac. It has a screen over it in case any small parts get sucked up. I then have it next to my model while sanding. It works well on that fine dust that usually accumulates throughout the house. I also use converted an old range hood that vents outside that I use in my paint booth and sand in it. This too also works well at controlling that fine dust that the wife complains about.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Kaos Rulz

I do the same as MinnFlyer. I take the big pieces/jobs outside and SET THE BALSA DUST FREE from the sticks and planks.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:14 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I sand, I try to stand in one place and don't move too quickly. I've found that the dust will usually fall pretty much straight down and stay on the first horizontal surface it hits. Once I'm done sanding and need to move on to the next task, I gently vacuum up the dust where it lays. Don't sweep it or it will start flying again. If you must sweep, do so slowly and place it in a trash can as quickly, but slowly as possible.

John
Old 05-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default just an idea :o)

You can use one of those cheap box fans and tape a central air filter to the back side of the fan I think they do come in 24 by 24 and so forth. And just place that near your work area and the fan will suck the dust into the filter. It is easy and very portable.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:02 AM
BigBird1

I built a box that's 14"x14"x4", fit it with a 4" computer cooling fan "a la" Radio Shack, on top, in the front is a 12"x12"X1/2" pleated filter from the local hardware store.

Put it on the wall just at the end of the work bench...It's quiet and runs 24 hours a day...

Ya can buy charcoal filter and put it over the front of this for a better smelling hobby room....
Old 05-16-2003, 03:59 AM
thejetgod

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that a few strategically placed ignition sources are quite effective in removing accumulated dust!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:51 AM
mstroh3961

Default balsa dust

Hi Guys, You might consider building a downdraft table to sand on. all you need to construct one isa 3/4" ply frame 6" tall covered with peg board on top and hard board or 1/4" plywood on the bottom. Make a hole in the side to fit the shopvac hose. By the way the larger you make the table the more suction you will need to make it effective.

Here is what a self contained pro model looks like.

Regards
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79044_13271.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	46828  
Old 05-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Dazzler_BE

Oh Geee. That's where all the dust on my floor, worktable, cabinets and shelves come from....

Well... mostly I try to take the big sanding jobs outside in the garden.

Just the small sanding like final adjustments to make it fit are done inside...

Oh, make sure you only use a vacuum cleaner or some sort the collect the dust of the floor... I've tried to clean it once with a broomstick, and had balsa dust hanging throughout the garage all afternoon.... After it had settled back, the floor was actually cleaner, but unfortunately the same could not be said from every other object in the garage....
Old 05-16-2003, 03:56 PM
pauser98

I do my building inside a 6" x 6" store room. I use a small exhaust fan tape to the window. I do the sanding right next to the fan, and it will suck most of the dust out.

But if the wind is not blowing correctly, it will blow some back through other windows!

Chris
Old 05-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Azcat59

Created my first balsa dust in about 1943, and it hasn't hurt me yet.......but when I fire up my 4"x36" belt sander and create a balsa blizzard in my shop, I do use a dust mask.

Being light, the dust goes everywhere. I don't worry much about it, but I have a shop dedicated to modeling, no cars to worry about, etc. I give the place a quick vacumn job before I paint or Monokote.

But you haven't seen a mess until you dry sand the old K&B primer, and get that white powder all over you, and everything else around you :-)
Old 05-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Strat2003

Obviously, the key to dealing with balsa dust is a wife who understands that every moment you spend sanding is a moment you're not hanging out in a bar!
Old 05-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

I sand outside. A breezy day is preferred.

I also use a wood rasp for shaping as it works faster and produces larger less troublesome debris.